Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AC doesnt come back on after reaching setpoint

Last trip out our main AC would reach the temperature set point and not come back on. The only way it would turn back on was to cycle power to unit. I called Dometic and they said it could be the control board. To keep it in warranty that has to be serviced by a Dometic certified tech. Being away from home and no mobile techs around we made do with the bedroom AC and set the main AC to 59 degrees so it wouldn't reach setpoint. Doing a search on the forums I read about the baffles separating in the ductwork causing problems. Checked them and they are fine. Called Grand Design and asked about the baffle in ductwork. They stated they had never heard of that problem. After three days the AC miraculously started working fine. So have any of you had an experience like this? I am leaning toward replacing the thermostat and control board next time its in for service. I would do it myself but they say it voids the warranty. I would be willing to bet that when I take it in for service it wont act up either.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was sent a new thermostat and that did not work for me (same problem as you). Had mobile tech looking at hot water heater board so asked to look at ac. Ended up being the control board for my fix. My mobile guy vanished so I did the work. Not hard but precautions need to be used. I took pic of wiring as a backup. Turned off power including the battery switch. Replaced 1 wire at a time.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As part of any trouble-shooting with the ACs - especially if short-cycling or not coming back on after cycling off - read through this thread:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...ghlight=baffle

Our issues were misdiagnosed as bad controller boards/thermostats several times before I found the real issue.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had the same issue in our 2800BH this past Summer. I replaced the Thermostat and that did not fix the issue. We brought it to our GD dealer and they said it was a controller board. They changed out the board, but the problem was still there. So the GD dealer replaced the A/C with a new one to solve the issue. Lucky for us, the A/C was covered by the warranty.

Ryan
    NAR = Nancy and Ryan

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AC fixed. Had the 337 to the dealer to repair front cap damage from a rock hit. What looked like a 3" crack in the fiberglass turned out to be a section around two feet in diameter. Looked like a cracked eggshell. Repaired and repainted. Looks like new. From information learned on this forum I asked dealer to inspect the AC dampers and ductwork. The dampers had fallen down and had to be retaped and the thermostat was defective. Thermostat was replaced. Have run AC while parked in our driveway and seems to be cycling correctly. Going on a 5 night trip this week so that will be the test. Expect temperatures to be in the mid 90's.Thanks for all the great info.