User Tag List

View Poll Results: Have you experienced a Westlake tire failure?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, tread separation or blowout

33 25.58%
  • No

76 58.91%
  • I replaced my Westlake tires with something else

20 15.50%
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Replaced the Westlakes on my brand new Imagine 2150 with Goodyear Endurance tires. I could not believe the difference in the side walls between the two tires. The Westlakes are very thin with no sidewall stiffness. Goodyear’s have a much heavier build. After seeing these two tires side by side I’m very glad I made the switch. I think a Westlake blowout was inevitable.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trueweb View Post
    I'm curious to know how many miles for the people that have had blowouts.
    Mine blew right around the 7000 mile mark, I kind of remember another post saying about the same, but it's been all over the place.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's interesting that out of the 34 people who voted in this poll (as of today) that are running Westlake tires, 7 had failures! Yes, it's a small sample size but still that's a 20% failure rate! Westlake and GD claim less than .1%. I never did believe that number and this poll hasn't made me any less skeptical.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the "G" rated Westlake tires on my Solitude. Right now I'm pushing 10K miles and so far they look great, run great and are showing no signs of any problems. I do maintain 110 psi cold and monitor them with a TPMS. I'm hoping to get a couple more seasons out of them before they need replaced.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    It's interesting that out of the 34 people who voted in this poll (as of today) that are running Westlake tires, 7 had failures! Yes, it's a small sample size but still that's a 20% failure rate! Westlake and GD claim less than .1%. I never did believe that number and this poll hasn't made me any less skeptical.
    I don't think the audience for this poll on this forum, can be considered to be the general population of Westlake owners.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    I don't think the audience for this poll on this forum, can be considered to be the general population of Westlake owners.
    I'm not suggesting this poll is scientific Rob. But if Lionshead and GD failure numbers are accurate, we should see one tire failure in 250 forum members (assuming four tires per user). Instead, we've seen 7 failures out of 136 tires (34 forum members who voted to date). That is a HUGE difference that I don't think can be explained away by sample size, forum audience, etc.

I would actually argue that our forum members are more well educated about maintaining proper tire inflation than the general public which should translate into a lower failure rate, not higher. Either way, as I said the poll is not scientific but the results to date are very telling.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kind of off topic, but- We are workamping in Pagosa Springs again this summer. Yesterday our owner went ATVing with two other couples, and his (rental) ATV had a flat. This year he decided to not carry spare tires, and no repair kits because "they all have new tires". All I could think about was about how some on our forum believe that installing Sailuns or Goodyear Endurance or any other will make them magically protected from flats or any other tire problems. In 60,000 or more miles with two sets of Westlakes (one set comped by Grand Design), we have had one tire separation that I caught while camping in Wyoming and installed the spare. I am not stating that Westlake is the absolute best, but we have been fortunate, maybe our TST system has helped, but I have not seen any problems on it.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I'm not suggesting this poll is scientific Rob. But if Lionshead and GD failure numbers are accurate, we should see one tire failure in 250 forum members (assuming four tires per user). Instead, we've seen 7 failures out of 136 tires (34 forum members who voted to date). That is a HUGE difference that I don't think can be explained away by sample size, forum audience, etc.

I would actually argue that our forum members are more well educated about maintaining proper tire inflation than the general public which should translate into a lower failure rate, not higher. Either way, as I said the poll is not scientific but the results to date are very telling.
    We need a much larger sample size where we could start breaking this down by tire rating, confirmed pressure via TPMS and the type of rig such as 5ers, TT, mass of rig and so on. So far it seems its the larger heavier rigs that are experiencing failures but more info is needed for a solid answer. I sold my Westlakes after two seasons and purchased the Goodyear's due to the rising level of uncertainty.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My gut feeling is that whatever brand was OEM on our Grand Designs, there would be those of us who would have tire issues, and it might not be much less than our current survey results. Westlakes might be the plastic straw of tires, maybe a young person should champion their banning.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian - All I am saying is that the folks on this forum (maybe any RV forum?) are far more "tuned into" their tires than the general RV population. In random campground discussions, back when tires were a hot topic on this forum, I would sometimes ask folks that I would meet, what they thought of their "whatever" brand tires. I usually got a shrug or a blank stare . . . not something that crosses the average owner's mind. Which probably has a lot to do with the number of trailers with blown tires that we see along the highway.

As MidWestCamper says, I do think there is a correlation between size of trailer and perhaps operating temperatures. Someone towing a Momentum in the southwest probably does have more reason to be concerned about their tires than someone towing an Imagine in the northeast.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast