User Tag List

View Poll Results: Have you experienced a Westlake tire failure?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, tread separation or blowout

33 25.58%
  • No

76 58.91%
  • I replaced my Westlake tires with something else

20 15.50%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ours has had an issue with the valve stem that apparently can't be fixed. STill waiting on the entire RV to come back from the shop. They thought it was fixed, but it won't stop leaking air. Frustrating to be without our RV right now.
    Our Setup
    2018.5 Solitude 310-GK
    2012 Ford F-450

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had one Westlake tire blow within 6mths of purchasing. Less than 1000 miles on them. No damage done to the RV thankfully. Westlake replaced 4 tires out of 6 after the dealer inspected them and agreed to unusual wear. Here we are again 10 mths later with a blown tire. This time the tred separated and took out the side and underneath of the RV. Lots of damage and we are going to have a huge deductible to pay. Not sure how to proceed. We feel like these tires are defective and we shouldn’t have to pay out of pocket. Glad no one was hurt and we were close to home after a long trip.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmbrle5 View Post
    We had one Westlake tire blow within 6mths of purchasing. Less than 1000 miles on them. No damage done to the RV thankfully. Westlake replaced 4 tires out of 6 after the dealer inspected them and agreed to unusual wear. Here we are again 10 mths later with a blown tire. This time the tred separated and took out the side and underneath of the RV. Lots of damage and we are going to have a huge deductible to pay. Not sure how to proceed. We feel like these tires are defective and we shouldn’t have to pay out of pocket. Glad no one was hurt and we were close to home after a long trip.

Kmbrle5,
    What's the description with the unusual wear? Are the tires wearing only on the middle, inside or outside or both? When running your hand back and forth across the tread, does it feel like sawteeth?
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmbrle5 View Post

Kmbrie5 - You have posted this same question in two different places on this forum. This confuses things. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...Design-failure
    As Chiefblueman has noted on the other thread and as MidwestCamper is asking here . . . unusual tire wear is usually caused by something other than the tires themselves.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trueweb View Post
    I'm curious to know how many miles for the people that have had blowouts.
    It is 489 miles from Middlebury IN to my dealer in Bath NY. Somewhere in this small amount of miles, a Westlake on the driver side center axle blew up and caused coach damage (could have been at 1 mile or 488 miles or anywhere in between). No matter where it happened, that is still not good. The dealer and some on this forum felt it was road debris damaging a center tire and causing it to blow up. I feel, exactly because it was a center tire and based on the reputation of Westlake tires, that it was just another Westlake failure. The dealer replaced all six skins with Sailun S637 ST's - no problems at all so far, nor do I expect any. This is the exact same experience I had on my previous coach. Everyone has their preference, but I sleep better knowing the Sailuns are on my rig.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decided to see how the votes were going in this poll. As of today, out of the 40 people who have voted indicating they run Westlake tires, 10 have reported failures. Wow!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Decided to see how the votes were going in this poll. As of today, out of the 40 people who have voted indicating they run Westlake tires, 10 have reported failures. Wow!
    Not sure this would statistically support a conclusion since many folks will not vote if they have not had issues. Kind of like looking up "Issues with Ford, Chevy or Dodge" trucks. These sites do not have a great deal of comments based on total production numbers but what's there are mostly negative.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah its, i'm not sure what word to put here but incorrect comes to mind, to assume that the 10 hits you get on this forum is somehow proof that the failure rate you were given from Grand Design and Westlake is incorrect or really that any conclusion can drawn by those 10 of 40.

The sample size is wrong and not only that you'll get skewed results because of how forums work. Especially this one. Not only is it not scientific, it is inaccurate to draw conclusions on it other than 10 people had issues.

Now don't get me wrong, I appreciate the fact that you made this poll and although it isn't scientific it is a good way to discuss tires, issues and it is cool to know the numbers regardless of dubious statistical value. So despite all that, I'm happy that the poll is here and it gives us something cool, interesting and potentially dangerous to discuss.

Different thing but similar in that many do not understand statistics. The guy sitting at the Roulette table waiting to bet on red and black. He waits until black runs 18 times in a row and then bets red, every time he watches it he is sure that each sequential black means that red is right around the corner. In his mind he has a better chance of it hitting red the longer it runs black but he doesn't understand the Law of Independent Events and his probability is really no different. Statistics can be counter intuitive at times, sometimes that is difficult to accept if you really don't understand how the numbers work. Your gut wants you to believe differently.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me also add that there is a lot of factors when considering tire failures.

I'd argue that a decent percentage of rigs, even here on this forum:

1. Need wheel alignments and never get them

2. Don't monitor tire pressures as much as they probably should

3. Don't weigh in their RV nor even know if they are over weight

4. Don't inspect their tires or even notice anything wrong until one side is down to the steel from wear, see #1
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Let me also add that there is a lot of factors when considering tire failures.

I'd argue that a decent percentage of rigs, even here on this forum:

1. Need wheel alignments and never get them

2. Don't monitor tire pressures as much as they probably should

3. Don't weigh in their RV nor even know if they are over weight

4. Don't inspect their tires or even notice anything wrong until one side is down to the steel from wear, see #1
    I suspect there could be something here as well....statistically, but we do not have that data. It does seem like the failures have been on the heavy units. I voted that I replaced mine with something else but did not have any issues with the Westlakes in two seasons. Just didn't like that the tires were running at max capacity.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast