User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, sorry I didn't put in the details about the truck, guess I thought I was still over in the tow vehicle section. Yes it is a long bed, that's what we wanted. Like I was saying since we are going full time when we get the 337, chances are the hitch would rarely come out. Thanks for the hitch weight details. I guess if the hitch were ever to have to come out We would be most likely be up around our kids. Get the boys to take it out and put it back in!!!

Ran into our sales guy a while back at an RV show, was telling him our plans for a 337, he said he would recommend the B&W. Since he told us about the B&W maybe that is what they sell, maybe I can work it into the sale of the RV, might be cheaper. Gotta find out what they offer.

I know its a very good idea to pad lock the lock lever whatever hitch we decide to get. On the base where the 4 pins are, that lock the base into the pucks, that would be an inspection item before any start up. Somebody could pull the pins and turn the puck lock levers and the hitch would come right out. I will have to revise my pre-tow check list every time we start out. Anybody pad lock the 4 base lock levers?

On a different pin box, I guess we could just use the the OEM pin box that comes with the 337 (what ever it is) for a while and switch it out later. But if we get a different pin box like TrailAir, Flex Air, etc, when we buy the 337 I wonder if I can get the RV dealership to install it? Looks like it can be real heavy and awkward for one person to get the old one out and the new one stuck up inside the pin box and bolt it in. On the other hand maybe not, just do it myself to make sure its done right. Man my high lift transmission jack would come in handy for that.

Still looking and deciding but still have a lot of time to make the decision. Still enjoying our Imagine for now. Have watched a number of videos demonstrating all the different 5th wheel hitch types. Dang, these things are expensive, would hate to get one and then not like it. But it better be built to the hilt since its gotta hold a lot of weight. Like $1200 for the B&W and then another $900 for a Trailair or similar. Geeze!

I guess hitch safety chains are not required on 5th wheels but I've read where some have added them.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 07-22-2018 at 08:30 PM. Reason: spelling, gotta change the batteries in my keyboard
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Thanks guys, sorry I didn't put in the details about the truck, guess I thought I was still over in the tow vehicle section. Yes it is a long bed, that's what we wanted. Like I was saying since we are going full time when we get the 337, chances are the hitch would rarely come out. Thanks for the hitch weight details. I guess if the hitch were ever to have to come out We would be most likely be up around our kids. Get the boys to take it out and put it back in!!!

Ran into our sales guy a while back at an RV show, was telling him our plans for a 337, he said he would recommend the B&W. Since he told us about the B&W maybe that is what they sell, maybe I can work it into the sale of the RV, might be cheaper. Gotta find out what they offer.

I know its a very good idea to pad lock the lock lever whatever hitch we decide to get. On the base where the 4 pins are, that lock the base into the pucks, that would be an inspection item before any start up. Somebody could pull the pins and turn the puck lock levers and the hitch would come right out. I will have to revise my pre-tow check list every time we start out. Anybody pad lock the 4 base lock levers?

On a different pin box, I guess we could just use the the OEM pin box that comes with the 337 (what ever it is) for a while and switch it out later. But if we get a different pin box like TrailAir, Flex Air, etc, when we buy the 337 I wonder if I can get the RV dealership to install it? Looks like it can be real heavy and awkward for one person to get the old one out and the new one stuck up inside the pin box and bolt it in. On the other hand maybe not, just do it myself to make sure its done right. Man my high lift transmission jack would come in handy for that.

Still looking and deciding but still have a lot of time to make the decision. Still enjoying our Imagine for now. Have watched a number of videos demonstrating all the different 5th wheel hitch types. Dang, these things are expensive, would hate to get one and then not like it. But it better be built to the hilt since its gotta hold a lot of weight. Like $1200 for the B&W and then another $900 for a Trailair or similar. Geeze!

I guess hitch safety chains are not required on 5th wheels but I've read where some have added them.
    Locks: I put them on the B&W's locking handle and base latches, 1/4" shackle fits.

Pin box: RV install sounds like a good idea. The usually installed Lippert 1621 weighs ~56lb.
    The replacement pin boxes weigh more: 5th Airborne 16K ~92lb, MORryde 1621HD ~136lb, Trailair Air Ride ~195lb.
    I did the 5th Airborne swap, just need help getting them off and on the truck hitch.

Safey Chains: I think not required unless it's a gooseneck/ball type hitch.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always locked the actuator handles and bases of the hitches when installed in the truck. We just don't need someone's help at finding amusement, whether intentional or not.

It has always been my observation that while it is nice to have the dealer do the swap out of the OEM pinbox with the TrailAir, it typically needs to be adjusted for clearance height; which the guys at the dealer just don't want to do. They prefer to say, "Oh yeah, that's a great position, it's fine"; because they are wanting to move on and the pinbox is a tad heavy. I have learned to break it down into 2 pieces and put the truck tailgate under the pinbox, then put boards under it before loosening the mounting bolts. Once the bolts are out, either start adding boards or removing boards to raise/lower the pinbox. When it is in the proper position, reinstall the bolts, attach the bottom 1/2 of the pinbox, and move the truck. I'm not wanting to sell any particular brand of hitch or pinbox, but please just remember to use mechanical leverage instead of body brute strength.
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve, it seems that everyone loves whatever hitch they have and I don't suppose I'm any different. But I have a 337 like you're looking at and you're more than welcome to come ride with me sometime and see for yourself. I have the AUH and stock pinbox and I have absolutely no problem with the ride. There is no back and forth chucking because the connection is solid and has no slack.

FWIW, the AUH with gooseball connection doesn't need padlocks to be secure. The ball and socket won't go anywhere even if you forget to latch it, either. I carry a copy of the Texas vehicle code that says no safety chains are required.

Best,

John
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    Steve, it seems that everyone loves whatever hitch they have and I don't suppose I'm any different. But I have a 337 like you're looking at and you're more than welcome to come ride with me sometime and see for yourself. I have the AUH and stock pinbox and I have absolutely no problem with the ride. There is no back and forth chucking because the connection is solid and has no slack.

FWIW, the AUH with gooseball connection doesn't need padlocks to be secure. The ball and socket won't go anywhere even if you forget to latch it, either. I carry a copy of the Texas vehicle code that says no safety chains are required.

Best,

John
    Thanks John, I went out and watched a couple of the Anderson videos on the AUH. Gotta say it looked simple, light weight but well built tripod, easy to install and remove if required. Unfortunately some of their advertising videos makes it seem like the latest diet pill snake oil sales. They need to re-shoot their videos and focus less on the dramatic " I'm so excited to show you this" and focus more on the mechanics, safety and sheer strength (not downward pressure strength) of the hitch. They're doing a disservice to their product which I'm sure is very, very good.

No bed rails needed. The square tripod base doesn't lock into the Ram 4 corner pucks, Just clamps onto the center bed ball and the base just sets there. The pin box articulation around the tripod ball makes a lot of sense. I am still kind of confused about the truck bed ball that fits into the Ram bed box center puck. Is this ball specific to Ram trucks by how it has to somehow lock into the bed ball puck mechanism?
    I looked at the Curt gooseneck ball & safety chain kit 60618 for the Ram 3500 however I understand that safety chains are not needed for Texas, I just wanted to get a look at the ball and understand how it locks into the truck bed for the tripod base to set on.

The grease less coupler - clamps around the RV box pin either forward or in a backward position. The newer version that has a funnel (if you will) guides it over the tripod hitch ball. The hand pull latch that you mount somewhere on the RV pin box seems simple. Although there is no way of pad locking it or securing it from someone bent on causing you grief by unlatching you're RV from your tow vehicle. Looks like it could just bounce off the tripod hitch ball or be jerked off the hitch ball in a collision if it was unlocked.

Damn, so many different kinds with advantages and disadvantages with all. Glad I have a long time to learn and choose.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks John, I went out and watched a couple of the Anderson videos on the AUH. Gotta say it looked simple, light weight but well built tripod, easy to install and remove if required. Unfortunately some of their advertising videos makes it seem like the latest diet pill snake oil sales. They need to re-shoot their videos and focus less on the dramatic " I'm so excited to show you this" and focus more on the mechanics, safety and sheer strength (not downward pressure strength) of the hitch. They're doing a disservice to their product which I'm sure is very, very good.

No bed rails needed. The square tripod base doesn't lock into the Ram 4 corner pucks, Just clamps onto the center bed ball and the base just sets there. The pin box articulation around the tripod ball makes a lot of sense. I am still kind of confused about the truck bed ball that fits into the Ram bed box center puck. Is this ball specific to Ram trucks by how it has to somehow lock into the bed ball puck mechanism?
    I looked at the Curt gooseneck ball & safety chain kit 60618 for the Ram 3500 however I understand that safety chains are not needed for Texas, I just wanted to get a look at the ball and understand how it locks into the truck bed for the tripod base to set on.

The grease less coupler - clamps around the RV box pin either forward or in a backward position. The newer version that has a funnel (if you will) guides it over the tripod hitch ball. The hand pull latch that you mount somewhere on the RV pin box seems simple. Although there is no way of pad locking it or securing it from someone bent on causing you grief by unlatching you're RV from your tow vehicle. Looks like it could just bounce off the tripod hitch ball or be jerked off the hitch ball in a collision if it was unlocked.

Damn, so many different kinds with advantages and disadvantages with all. Glad I have a long time to learn and choose.
    A couple of months ago, I searched the internet for AUH failures and found a total of two photos. One was obviously a traffic accident - the hitch was failed in a forward direction. The other had been posted by the owner on one of the RV forums. They didn't go in to much detail and everything was kind of vague. As adament as RV'ers are about their hitches, I'm sure we would have heard about any other failures.

I think they have two styles of mounting. One latches on to the factory hitch pucks. If you have those already installed that is the way to go. I didn't have those so installed a B&W turnover gooseball. The gooseball, installation and AUH ran around $1400 which is probably the low end of the range of fifth wheel hitches. The AUH sits over the ball and a pin locks it together. The whole thing is torqued down and isn't going anywhere. I have a sprayin bedliner and my prior TV had a dropin bedliner and the AUH didn't put even the slightest mark on either bed so there is no movement whatsoever. The nice thing about the gooseball is you can pull a pin and turn the ball over leaving you a flat floor.

Even though the hand latch is visiable in your mirrors and pretty obvious when open, I know someone - who shall remain nameless - who pulled his fiver quite a ways without the adapter being latched. Even if your a total dummy like my - ahem - friend, it is hard to screw up. I like idiot proof.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are lots of AUH users on this forum. It is the real deal. I had one in my 3/4T SB and no complaints on quality or function... and a solid, extremely quiet hook-up. As mentioned the naysayers always bring up the two failures and have absolutely no data behind what happened, or any experience using it. IMO, their product fills a very good niche in the market with SB trucks that need a lightweight solution (i.e. tight payload), give a bit better clearance than a regular fixed hitch and be able to pull out the hitch quickly with one person.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Bluto View Post
    give a bit better clearance than a regular fixed hitch
    Brother_Bluto - This is the part that is not carefully explained for those who don't fully understand the AUH vs a standard hitch. With the AUH, you have to decide which way you want the adapter. One way brings the trailer closer to the cab in a turn and the other way brings the pinbox wings closer to the box side rails in a turn. This is the compromise for having the ultra light weight hitch.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I viewed as flexibility. I tried it in both directions in my 2500HD, and also when it was in my F350. Didn't have a problem with the wings of the pinbox being too close to the bed sides in either position. Even with ball behind the pin (trailer closer to cab), the turning capacity (with my Reflection) was still excellent - nearly 90deg. The only time I would have worried about it hitting the cab would be in a situation where truck and trailer aren't on different grades. There are also and offset ball option for those with the B&W turn-over ball that can move it further back by 4". It's not for everyone for sure. With the added payload in the F350... I wanted to with an auto-slider which is what I have now.

I will say a potential downside is my specific dealer wasn't able to deal with the AUH, and I had to remove and reinstall the cup any time I dropped it off.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only other thing I remember about AUH was the steel funnel and ball wear with an earlier funnel type.
    Another Anserson Hitch question https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...uestion/page14
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast