User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you monitor your pets when away ... in case the power goes off?

My wife was wondering how we could monitor our dogs when we're out. What she's worried about it being gone on a hot day with both A/C's running and having the power at the campground go out. She's concerned that the 5er would warm up pretty quickly putting the dogs at risk.

My thoughts are:

1. If the campground has WiFi, set up a WiFi camera off of our own router (for security reasons) and make sure a temp/humidity gauge is in view. If we can't get to the camera's then time to come home and check on them = power is off.
    2. If the campground doesn't have WiFi, leave one of our phones at the 5er as a hot spot and connect the router to it and monitor as stated in #1 . Making sure the router is on an inverter and keeps running with the power out so that we can connect and check in. This is where the temp/humidity gauge comes in handy.
    3. If boondocking and running off of generators and no cell service, don't leave for more than a couple of hours, or take the dogs with us.
    4. If boondocking and running off of generators with cell service, follow #2 .

If it's cold outside then no big deal, the dogs will survive.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Looking forward to what ideas you all have.

Pete
    Pete & Carla Nelson
    2017 F-350, diesel, DRW, Lariat, 8' bed, Ford's TPMS, Furrion camera, Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover
    2017 Solitude 384GK, with dual pane windows, slide toppers, gen ready, heat pump.
    Added items: WiFiRanger EliteAC (external antenna), WiFiRanger GoAC (Router),
    Trailer Saver BD3 w/underbed adapter, Cheapheat system, Fantastic fan (bathroom), 50 Amp Hughes Auto Former w/surge protection, 5th wheel skirting.
    MoRryde independent suspension, 8k axle, disc breaks, Sailun S637 tires

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some recent threads on this topic may answer your question:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...ather-(With-AC!)

https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...with-your-dogs

(I had read them previously. Found them again by searching google using the following: pets AND monitor site: granddesignowners.com)
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I'll give them a read.

Pete
    Pete & Carla Nelson
    2017 F-350, diesel, DRW, Lariat, 8' bed, Ford's TPMS, Furrion camera, Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover
    2017 Solitude 384GK, with dual pane windows, slide toppers, gen ready, heat pump.
    Added items: WiFiRanger EliteAC (external antenna), WiFiRanger GoAC (Router),
    Trailer Saver BD3 w/underbed adapter, Cheapheat system, Fantastic fan (bathroom), 50 Amp Hughes Auto Former w/surge protection, 5th wheel skirting.
    MoRryde independent suspension, 8k axle, disc breaks, Sailun S637 tires

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having our dog along is great but it's a restriction on our time spent exploring. We take him when we can and when we don't we limit away to two hours or less in an RV park.

If we had to have longer away period (hasn't come up yet) I'd wouldn't do it unless I found a park 'neighbor' to call us if there was a problem.

Probably would not leave my pet unattended doon docking more than 20 minutes. Just not comfortable with the 'what ifs'. YMMV

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys need grand kids. It's a 110 in Texas right now. Looks like the dogs are going to be hot today.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkDeb View Post
    Having our dog along is great but it's a restriction on our time spent exploring.
    Exactly. When Fran and I take motorcycle-touring trips (this fall?) the dogs will stay home with a trusted house-sitter. I don't want to worry about them while out riding. Oh man, I just can't wait to get out there and ride some of RoadRunner's Shamrock tours!!!

2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)