Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leveling with Andersen Ultimate and Fifth Wheel

Hi,
    maybe someone here can offer advice:
    Have a Ram 2500 diesel 2015, 2018 grand design 230rl fifth wheel and the Anderson Ultimate hitch.

At a site and am unable to level the camper from front to back enough. Currently tilted back. In order to release the Anderson hitch I had to lower the standard landing gear quite a bit, then raise the unit almost maximum in order to release the ball hitch. Then when I brought it back down it bottomed out before the unit is level.

Also at site I had to level from side to side with my drive up plastic ramps.

I cannot lower the Anderson hitch ball in my truck bed as then the trailer hits the truck bed sidewalls. The Ram diesel sits high as stock...

Thoughts?
    Thanks much for any insights
    Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 07-23-2018 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Changed Andersen spelling for future searches

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May be the same problem I had with my F350 - the bed rails are several inches taller than prior models. I ended up removing the axle blocks to lower the rear.

Search on F350 hitch height and you'll find several threads on the problem. The solution was fairly inexpensive and now I have lots of bed rail clearance.

FWIW, the Andersen and other hitches generally have the same adjustment range. This is more a problem with the newest generation of trucks.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this a problem on every site or just this one in particular? I have a 17 Ram 3500 with the rail mount version AUH. I have ball in the highest position to maintain clearance to my Ramboxes when turning. I generally place 5 or 6 of the Camco blocks under the front legs and then extend them until they almost touch the blocks. I then drop the front legs using the control module. I then raise the unit off the truck and pull truck away. Then I use Auto Level function. This works fairly well for me. The only time it hasn't is in my driveway. It slopes in multiple directions for drainage. I usually compensate with different number of leveling blocks to make it work. I usually have to manually level it too.

Not sure any of this helps but my Ram should be just as tall as yours and it works pretty well for me. I'm not sure what the solution is if it's just that specific site other than "digging out" the ground for the front Jack's to get the front lower.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    May be the same problem I had with my F350 - the bed rails are several inches taller than prior models. I ended up removing the axle blocks to lower the rear.

Search on F350 hitch height and you'll find several threads on the problem. The solution was fairly inexpensive and now I have lots of bed rail clearance.

FWIW, the Andersen and other hitches generally have the same adjustment range. This is more a problem with the newest generation of trucks.
    Thanks much, I will investigate further.
    Also was wondering if changing where the drop legs are “clamped” would make any difference..? Although overall motorized vertical travel remains the same.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photos of situation:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7D5EC997-88BB-4E9D-A1FB-39FC7E0E3A82.jpeg 
Views:	65 
Size:	346.9 KB 
ID:	14064

Name:	F3091E42-8B51-49C3-A716-24554E297595.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	14063

Name:	7FFC2A15-5409-4431-BB24-EE3BA74375BD.jpeg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	14065

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photos above- the ball cannot be lowered as you mentioned.... otherwise trailer front will hit truck bed sidewall top.
    Photo of level front to back issue:

Name:	CFECB909-B84C-41CD-A94B-0560F6445F33.jpeg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	14066

Would moving the clamp / through locking pin to a lower area on the landing gear legs provide more vertical motion?
    Thanks for any assistance
    Rob

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you have the lower portion of the leg too far extended. Too many pin holes showing.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    I think you have the lower portion of the leg too far extended. Too many pin holes showing.
    I agree. I personally don't like to extend the legs that far so I use more of the leveling blocks.

I glanced over the fact that you have the 150 series Reflection with the turning point hitch. I'm curious if that pinbox is shaped different than a standard pinbox which may also cause issues raising the camper off the ball. What position is the ball in on the AUH? You said you need it higher for bedrail clearance. How much clearance do you have between camper and the bedrails when hooked up?
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On our 337 I installed the Andersen coupler in the “reverse” or alternate position to prevent the pin box from hitting the side rails. With my Andersen ball in the middle height position I still have about 7” of clearance between the trailer overhang and the side rails.

I am not familiar with the 150 series turning point hitch and if the coupler can be reversed with it.

Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    X2 - GDRV Owners Manuals state to balance out the distances in the leg tubes and/or to not extend the inner leg by so many positions. This is necessary to help with stability and avoid the situation you have. Your Owners Manual on page 80 item number 3 copied and pasted along with the link to GDRV website Owners Manual pages follow:

"Extend the inner legs of both landing gear (front jacks) to
    show no more than 6 pin holes by pulling on the quick-release
    pins. Make sure pin is FULLY re-engaged."

https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...owners-manuals

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast