Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hydraulic Support Breaker

On a previous thread (I would search for the thread, but it's been a while), it was established that the breaker for the front support jacks was under "breaker-ed", and the factory installed breaker was not up to the task of handling the electric load for retracting the struts. These days I've been retracting the struts once connected to the truck, and start the compression process as the struts retract. Once the weight hits the truck, the retraction of the struts stops periodically as the struts retract, and in the previously referred to thread, this is due to an underrated breaker. I was advised to replace the breaker with a higher spec 80 amp breaker that is mandated by the frame manufacturer. I now have said breaker in hand, tiny thing that it is. My question on this thread is - anyone with previous experience replacing this item want to give me any insights so I don't electrocute myself? I figure I need to disconnect from shore power, and unhook the battery before I attempt to change it out. is there anything else I need to be aware of, like capacitors that could still give me a jolt?

Cheers!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did this mod. Not a lot of effort involved. I did have to rewire a small part of the connecting block since disconnecting the 50 amp breaker will disconnect all other power to the connection. Take due notice of where the little black reset arm is at. Our Solitude is wired with #6 so it is thick enough to support 80 amp. Oh yea -- try not to drop the little screws that hold the cover that goes over the connection block. They will roll around behind the batteries and are hard to find.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just added another 40 amp breaker in parallel ,never had another problem! Just make sure you unhook the Battery!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by C T Rathman View Post
    I just added another 40 amp breaker in parallel ,never had another problem! Just make sure you unhook the Battery!!!
    Glad it works for you. The electrical engineer in me says that doing that is a crap shoot. The ratio of current through each parallel breaker is a function of the ratio of the breakers' resistances - NOT the amperage rating of the breakers. Also, if one breaker trips, much of the current flowing through it will load up through the other breaker and probably will trip it.
    Steve and Cheryl

2017 Momentum 328M w/Dual Pane Windows and 3rd A/C. Aftermarket mods: Titan EOH Disc Brakes, MORryde IS suspension and Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder pin box
    2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn Megacab 4x4 DRW with 6.7 HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, AISIN trans, 3.73 axles and a Reese 20K puck mount hitch
    Call sign: AAØSB, Class: Extra

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree 100% as I hear one pop as the strain on the hydraulics starts, but as i said before .... haven't had an issue since!