User Tag List

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bug Screens (Water Heater, Furnace, Refrigerator, AC, and MaxAir)

Five areas of concern: the water heater, furnace, refrigerator, MaxxAir, and a/c vent openings.

1) Installed bug screens over the water heater and furnace openings. They were easy. (Especially with Little P inspecting my work.)

2) For the refrigerator, the CAMCO kit https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Flying-.../dp/B0024E6UE0 fit great in the center sections. (The tt is equipped with the 12 cu ft Dometic refrigerator.) Has anyone come up with a way to seal the openings on the sides? (Note on pic should say "these openings invite the mud daubers to come on in". Too lazy to fix!)

One option I'm considering is buying another package of the screens and trimming them down to size. Also, has anyone else caulked the edges of the screens they've installed? Any reason not to caulk them? (There are small gaps.) Note I used additional straps on the screens I installed--the two that came with the kit were flimsy and not enough IMO.

3) Finally, what to do about the openings in the a/c covers and MaxAir vents? (Picture is of a/c obviously.) What material do you recommend or NOT recommend I use in these areas? (I haven't found a product tailor-made for these openings.)

2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howard - Just be aware that Atwood and Dometic strongly recommend against bug screens on any of their appliances. This always comes up at their Rally Tech Seminars and is discussed elsewhere on this forum. Not saying that this is right or wrong . . . just passing along the information. Their recommendation is to put dog flea collars or moth crystals in the appliance spaces (I realize this does not work on the furnace) to keep the critters away.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Used the bug wrist bands in refrigerator access. Can put screen in furnace panel, just remember to remove come cold weather to use furnace.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    ...and is discussed elsewhere on this forum.
    I had missed this thread when I searched earlier: https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...mesh-for-vents

I find it interesting that one post in that thread states the dealership warned that the OEM will void the warranty if they know about the screen. I read and did a word search in the Dometic installation and operating instruction refrigerator manuals. Neither document warns against the use of screens nor states anything about voiding the warranty (due to screens). In fact, this little gem in Dometic's Operating Instructions is much more likely to cause a warranty rejection than bug screens: (page 27)

The Original Purchaser must provide preventative maintenance on a yearly basis, beginning at the first anniversary of the date of purchase. The Original Purchaser must keep a record of the preventative maintenance to keep the warranty in effect. Failure of the Original Purchaser in providing this annual maintenance may void the warranty. The preventative maintenance must be performed at a Dometic Authorized Service Center/Dealer. The required preventative maintenance is an inspection, cleaning and full diagnostics performed on the entire electronic system, burner assembly, wiring and cooling unit. A copy of the receipt covering the maintenance checks must accompany the warranty claim during the second year of ownership. The cost of this preventative maintenance is the Original Purchaser’s responsibility and the preventative maintenance should take about one hour.

I'll go out on a limb and state I doubt many owners do this.

In the bug factory that I call home (others call it "Florida") screens are not an option. I will ensure the screens do not get clogged where there's no airflow (likely the manufacturer's source of concern?). The OEMs will have to quantify how the effect of the screens on airflow impacts the equipment (put more "why" into their "what") before I'll fight with the wasps and mud dobbers. Just stating a "recommendation" isn't enough (for me).

But thanks for the heads-up. The other thread was interesting.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive used screens for 20+ years and on our 2015 27RL since new. No problems with any of the appliances. We do have big issues with mud daubers however and I have to check the trucks radiator and coolers several times a year due to mud nest buildups.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @howson,

Did you ever come up with an insect screen solution for your air conditioner cover? Just curious.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jw^2 family View Post
    @howson,

Did you ever come up with an insect screen solution for your air conditioner cover? Just curious.
    Not yet...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last week at the TN Rally, the GD Mobile Tech indicated that screens are fine on the furnace and hot water heater.

He very strongly recommended against using any type of screen on the refrigerator. The use of pet collars or cow ear tags (with insecticide) was recommended instead.
    Mike, Linda, and Shady (terrier mix rescue)

Reflection 150 230 RL with free standing dinette (swapped location of the dinette and the recliners)
    2020 GMC 3500 Denali
    B&W Companion Hitch and Turning Point Pin Box locked out