Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not that simple

Quote Originally Posted by tedzz9 View Post
    P - Pull Pin
    A - Aim
    S - Squeeze Handle
    S - Sweep Side to Side
    ROFL....I work in hospitals now. All staff is required to have fire extinguisher training annually. This is usually simulated or a video. The few times staff have actually been asked to demonstrate this simple procedure it is usually a fail. This is in a controlled environment. I have no doubts my wife could not use a fire extinguisher in a dark smoky camper when she is panicking to get out the door. I am just being realistic. I have two extinguishers in our RV and one in the forward storage compartment. I also have one in the truck which I have used at least a half dozen times (and replaced) when I have come upon the scene of a accident with fire or a small fire from other sources. I had years of formal fire fighting training....most of the populace has not. Just like the Duck boat tragedy the other day. There were life jackets for all those people...how many actually had a chance or knew how to put them on. The equipment is only as good as the training the users get.
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS
    TV 2017 Nissan Titan XD CC Diesel 4x4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you travel a lot it isn't a bad idea to once a month turn your extinguishers over and shake them to make sure the powder hasn't caked. The vibration from driving can cause them to settle into a brick.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    When Howard (Howson) reminded us of Jim's (TucsonJim) presentation on Disaster Planning I got to thinking about what I have done since watching Jim's presentation at the last Indiana Rally.

Our "Bug Out Bag" is better stocked and always with us when we are in the truck or in the trailer. This bag now includes extra dog and cat leashes and other things we need for our pets.

After watching Jim get out that window (sorry Jim . . . I have to smile every time I think of that ) I decided that we can't do that and would try to get to the door. This led to rethinking the fire extinguisher plan and keeping one under my pillow. Well, not exactly , but close . . . it is right under the bed platform on my side. The next point of defence is in the always unlocked and labelled propane locker on the curb side. The third one is inside the tailgate of the truck.

Similar to Jim & Howard (and probably most of us) disaster preparedness has always been part of our professional lives. It is good to be reminded of "exactly what is your plan?"

Rob
    Rob, Wish I had seen that presentation. I was going to pull the escape window at the back of our unit (rear living area) just to see how easy and fast it was to get the window out. I am not sure exactly how it comes out and I didn't want to damage any of the seals around the window and I didn't know how easy it would be to get the escape window back in if I took it out. Can you or anyone advise just how the escape window comes out? also can a person put the window back in? Or do you just Slide the window open as normal and then shove the screen out?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1558.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 07-25-2018 at 08:47 AM. Reason: added escape handle
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Rob, Wish I had seen that presentation. I was going to pull the escape window at the back of our unit (rear living area) just to see how easy and fast it was to get the window out. I am not sure exactly how it comes out and I didn't want to damage any of the seals around the window and I didn't know how easy it would be to get the escape window back in if I took it out. Can you or anyone advise just how the escape window comes out? also can a person put the window back in? Or do you just Slide the window open as normal and then shove the screen out?
    Steve - attached link to the Library section on the Forum tab with Jim's pdf of his presentation: https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...nning-PDF-File

Yes, seeing Jim get out of the window would have been precious indeed.......too bad I missed it too ! I bet Rob or someone else has pictures or a video to share.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Steve - your escape window would be the street side one in the bedroom. When you open it, just push the red end of the handle through the opening and it will flip up after you remove the screen so you can push on the window. You may want to test it out so you are aware. We clean our window and screen a few times after removing the screen. Pretty quick and easy to do.

Yes, the rear window can be used too by sliding open as far as you need to do and sliding the screen or removing the screen which may be a little more of a challenge. Again, good to check it out and see how easy to do. Now getting out of either window could be worth posting a video link !

Dan

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post
    Steve - attached link to the Library section on the Forum tab with Jim's pdf of his presentation: https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...nning-PDF-File

Yes, seeing Jim get out of the window would have been precious indeed.......too bad I missed it too ! I bet Rob or someone else has pictures or a video to share.

Dan
    Dan - See page 12 of TucsonJim's presentation for one of the more flattering pictures of his exit attempt .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    duhhh, I don't know what I was thinking, like something more emergency I guess like pull out handle and shove! Sorry guys for the stupid question.

Well its supposed to be more simplistic than that. On our rear living room escape window at the back, after opening the window as usual, the screen didn't want to come out or move, it was stuck. Struggled with it a little bit and finally got it out. I found the aluminum frame where the screen sets into the frame, was bent and pinched together only in one 1/4 inch spot near the bottom tight to the screen frame and wouldn't let it come out. Bent the frame back out and now the screen comes in and out easily. In any event I wouldn't screw around with the screen, just kick it out and go. At least you have the rear RV square bumper to put your feet on climbing out that window.

The bedroom escape window, see pic, well lets just say one of us couldn't get through that window.

Again sorry for the original question.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1561.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 07-25-2018 at 10:58 AM. Reason: spelling
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On your bedroom window, you push the "red" part of the handle all the way through the notch so the window will open completely.
    But still, a long way down to escape from that window, but worth it, if something was to happen.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Superduty View Post
    On your bedroom window, you push the "red" part of the handle all the way through the notch so the window will open completely.
    But still, a long way down to escape from that window, but worth it, if something was to happen.
    Yeah I just couldn't hold it open all the way and take the picture without shaking and blurring the pic. Still one of us will not fit through that bedroom window hole and since we only have one entry and exit door, its use the bedroom extinguisher and fight to get to the main door and out.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would be a tight squeeze. Hopefully, no one has to use the escape method.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast