User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Broken Spring

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As manufactures have done all across the brand names probably for quite a while is rating the frame and suspension components on the way of the tow vehicle carrying a certain percentage of the weight and the axels carrying the rest. As the rigs get larger and heavier this becomes worse because they use a lot of the times the same axels, frames on several different models. Case in point the 29RS gross weight is 10995# the next model is the 303RLS gross weight 11995# only a 1000# difference but the same frame height and the same 5200# axels. All RV manufactures do this with toy haulers down to TT's and pop up's the same. The other word of note is that the axel manufactures use the cheapest components they can find. Ever penny they save is a penny earned. I do not understand why RV manufactures continue to do this. Being safety conscious I would much rather pay an amount up front for proper equipment to have a safe and enjoyable adventure with the product purchased.
    The axel weight was a part of my decision in the unit we bought because of the overloading and under equipped larger camper that we might have otherwise chosen if it had better suited axel components.

That was a lot of typing , I'm done now.

Brian

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    As manufactures have done all across the brand names probably for quite a while is rating the frame and suspension components on the way of the tow vehicle carrying a certain percentage of the weight and the axels carrying the rest. As the rigs get larger and heavier this becomes worse because they use a lot of the times the same axels, frames on several different models. Case in point the 29RS gross weight is 10995# the next model is the 303RLS gross weight 11995# only a 1000# difference but the same frame height and the same 5200# axels. All RV manufactures do this with toy haulers down to TT's and pop up's the same. The other word of note is that the axel manufactures use the cheapest components they can find. Ever penny they save is a penny earned. I do not understand why RV manufactures continue to do this. Being safety conscious I would much rather pay an amount up front for proper equipment to have a safe and enjoyable adventure with the product purchased.
    The axel weight was a part of my decision in the unit we bought because of the overloading and under equipped larger camper that we might have otherwise chosen if it had better suited axel components.

Brian
    We wanted to get the 375 when GD came out with it but because of concern's you just mentioned we didn't.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carnolddsm View Post
    Follow up and photos:

When I stopped to investigate I noticed walking back along the side of the trailer the left rear tire wasn't aligned with the other two tires. This is a triple axle trailer. A quick inspection and the cause of the alignment problem was found, broken right rear spring.
    Colan

What is in your garage?
    I would think that the right rear spring would be the last one to break.

Our 3 axle 380TH is right at a 1000 lb. lighter on the right (passenger) side with my Victory XCT in the garage. Granted; the bike is left of center in the wheel chock so it doesn't block the entrance to the sliding glass door. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    Colan

What is in your garage?
    I would think that the right rear spring would be the last one to break.

Our 3 axle 380TH is right at a 1000 lb. lighter on the right (passenger) side with my Victory XCT in the garage. Granted; the bike is left of center in the wheel chock so it doesn't block the entrance to the sliding glass door. KEN
    Our trailer is at 19,200, with 15,300 on the axles. Garage is a long way from being heavily loaded, no motorized toys.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carnolddsm View Post
    Our trailer is at 19,200, with 15,300 on the axles. Garage is a long way from being heavily loaded, no motorized toys.
    Interesting. Our axle weight is 15200 with the bike (close to 1000lb). We are not full timin' yet.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post

Brian
    You're right, all the manufactures do this and why? They all employ qualified structural engineers that know better from their training and probably would never build a frame/suspension system that they put these houses on top of for themselves. Everyone of these characters knows these frames (Lippert in particular) are marginal at best where the bean counters have cost controlled the quality right out of them. But because everybody else does it doesn't mean that GD has to do it, Arctic Fox builds their own frames and suspension systems that will go off-road all day long on all their 5ers, they won't use a Lippert frame or suspension for the very reasons already stated. GD could build a better quality RV, but instead they are at most resolving their warranty issues in a customer friendlier manor while still smiling all the way to the Bank.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is disappointing. I'm scheduled to pickup a Reflection 297RSTS this week and I'm already feeling buyers remorse. I'm now thinking i should have gone with an Airstream.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog55 View Post
    This is disappointing. I'm scheduled to pickup a Reflection 297RSTS this week and I'm already feeling buyers remorse. I'm now thinking i should have gone with an Airstream.
    Maddog55. Welcome to the forum. The broken spring issue has only been a problem on larger units like the Momentums. They are really pushing the limits on weight. I have a 297 also and it has a very robust suspension. It has a 9,995 Gross vehicle weight with two 5,200# axles. When you consider that about 1,000 or more pounds will be on the tongue, the 10,400# in axle capacity will only be carrying 8,995# max!

I have 14,000 miles on my 297 now, and many of those miles are on rough dirt roads going to remote areas. I've had no spring problems at all.

Jim

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog55 View Post
    You think Airstream doesn’t have problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
    You're right, all the manufactures do this and why? They all employ qualified structural engineers that know better from their training and probably would never build a frame/suspension system that they put these houses on top of for themselves. Everyone of these characters knows these frames (Lippert in particular) are marginal at best where the bean counters have cost controlled the quality right out of them. But because everybody else does it doesn't mean that GD has to do it, Arctic Fox builds their own frames and suspension systems that will go off-road all day long on all their 5ers, they won't use a Lippert frame or suspension for the very reasons already stated. GD could build a better quality RV, but instead they are at most resolving their warranty issues in a customer friendlier manor while still smiling all the way to the Bank.
    Why? So they can keep the cost down so the same people who complain about selling price will buy it and then go out and gleefully pay 10 grand for a MorRyde suspension then brag how beautifully it handles. My point being: you get exactly what you pay for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast