User Tag List

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OEM RF Coax Wiring Drawing

Due to popular demand, I've created a wiring diagram for the RF coax routing for the GD 297RSTS travel trailer. While I have no experience with other GD models, I expect that the principals of this drawing will apply to most models. Hope this helps others to understand how the satellite coaxes are separated from the over-the-air (OTA) / Cable TV coaxes.

I appreciate any comments or corrections from the members here. I created this drawing somewhat from memory after I modified the wiring in my RV, so if you find any errors, please contact me with any corrections.

http://www.klenger.net/wiring.html

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. Will download and save.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klenger View Post
    Due to popular demand, I've created a wiring diagram for the RF coax routing for the GD 297RSTS travel trailer. While I have no experience with other GD models, I expect that the principals of this drawing will apply to most models. Hope this helps others to understand how the satellite coaxes are separated from the over-the-air (OTA) / Cable TV coaxes.

I appreciate any comments or corrections from the members here. I created this drawing somewhat from memory after I modified the wiring in my RV, so if you find any errors, please contact me with any corrections.

http://www.klenger.net/wiring.html
    I'm recommending that Klenger be hired by the GD Solitude Production staff to create all the User documentation for the Solitude. Love the his detailed documentation. Thanks buddy.
    Gary and Cindy
    Cibolo, Tx.
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasUmpire View Post
    I'm recommending that Klenger be hired by the GD Solitude Production staff to create all the User documentation for the Solitude. Love the his detailed documentation. Thanks buddy.
    Thanks for the kind words. I've worked as a technician and engineer in aerospace for about 46 years. It's an occupational hazard.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klenger View Post
    Thanks for the kind words. I've worked as a technician and engineer in aerospace for about 46 years. It's an occupational hazard.
    Thanks Klenger, your diagram got me started in T/S a reception problem with our bedroom TV. It works fine clear picture on Antenna but fuzzy on Cable. Well like I said, took your diagram as a start, then took some panels apart, removed the Jensen and traced some of the coax. Got a good look at the booster/amp right behind the Jensen stereo.
    The attached quick drawing is how our Solitude S-Class 3350RL is run. The only thing I don't know is how the orange Sat cables are spliced into the pass through compartments. The left pass through is orange Sat only and is right beside the Nautilus panel. The right pass through is Cable/Ant and orange Sat (2 F connectors). I suspect there is a splitter for the orange Sat cables I haven't found yet.

Seems weird - The bedroom TV uses the same coax for cable or antenna yet the antenna reception is great but the cable is lousy. I did find a somewhat loose connection right behind the right pass through wall where the splitter is. The white coax from there runs up to the bedroom TV.

Thanks for giving me a clue how to get started on this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TV Coax Connections.jpeg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 04-02-2019 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Updated diagram
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I updated my 3350RL diagram after I found no additional orange coax Satellite splitters between the bedroom TV and the lower pass thru storage compartments. I crawled in the the storage compartment after I had taken the wall out and traced the orange coax from the left storage compartment TV wall connection beside the nautilus panel, over to the right side of the storage compartment TV connection wall plate. Yup they are directly connected together with no splitter anywhere to tie into the main satellite feed. So you would not be able to watch satellite in the bedroom the way it is.
    The orange coax satellite cable is a straight run from the nautilus panel all the way to the back and comes up behind the Jensen and straight into the amp switch and then connects to the wall plate behind the living room TV.

Now if you had a satellite feed coming into the main hook ups on the nautilus panel, I guess you could put a splitter there with one leg feeding the Sat connection to the living room TV and then connect the other leg to the grey coax that runs straight from the nautilus panel to the bedroom TV. Two sat receivers, one living room TV another one at the bedroom TV.

I think I have it figured out, some of it doesn't make any sense. I guess there is some sort of method to their madness.
    Tightened up all the connections I found, we will see how it works now.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 04-03-2019 at 10:45 AM.
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Now if you had a satellite feed coming into the main hook ups on the nautilus panel, I guess you could put a splitter there with one leg feeding the Sat connection to the living room TV and then connect the other leg to the grey coax that runs straight from the nautilus panel to the bedroom TV. Two sat receivers, one living room TV another one at the bedroom TV.

I think I have it figured out, some of it doesn't make any sense. I guess there is some sort of method to their madness.
    Tightened up all the connections I found, we will see how it works now.
    The OEM coax isn't really setup for satellite. It's best for TV from the antenna or cable service.
    This topic shows one satellite setup https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...-2019-Solitude
    I think each satellite setup depends on the brand of satellite and its antenna.

Klenger was gracious enough to lend me his CAD files and that got me working on mine.
    I work on them in between other stuff.
    My Coax drawing doesn't look too different than what you ended up with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 317RST TV-Cable Coax Diagram.pdf  
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    The OEM coax isn't really setup for satellite. It's best for TV from the antenna or cable service.
    This topic shows one satellite setup https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...-2019-Solitude
    I think each satellite setup depends on the brand of satellite and its antenna.

Klenger was gracious enough to lend me his CAD files and that got me working on mine.
    I work on them in between other stuff.
    My Coax drawing doesn't look too different than what you ended up with.
    Thanks Gene,
    Yet another variation. They don't seem to use colors of the coax with much of a standard. I guess each coach is done a little different depending on the installer at the time and what floorplan the coach has ie outside entertainment systems, or where the antenna booster/amp is located. I don't ever plan to have a TV connected in the pass thru storage compartment.

We don't plan on using the satellite connections but then again you never say never. For now the antenna or cable TV is good enough for us. I think we all provide, with our drawings, information to other owners a place to start.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Link not working on several attempts. Leads to sites my antivirus app does not like. Try again please?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swbailey View Post
    Link not working on several attempts. Leads to sites my antivirus app does not like. Try again please?
    Klenger took all his drawings off his internet site after he sold his GD TT.
    Some of his drawings are in the Reference Library.
    Klenger's 297RSTS Diagrams https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...7RSTS-Diagrams
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank