User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I happened to park at an apple farm on a site that was significantly sloped i.e. > 8 degrees. I was parked for about 3 hours. Afterwards my fridge died. It just would not cool. Even after shutting it off for 3 days, it didn't work.

About 3 weeks later, we brought it to a repair shop. Woila, repair shop says the fridge works fine. So obviously the thing needed a LOT of time to settle.

Our fridge is a Dometic 12 cu ft side by side.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Well I happened to park at an apple farm on a site that was significantly sloped i.e. > 8 degrees. I was parked for about 3 hours. Afterwards my fridge died. It just would not cool. Even after shutting it off for 3 days, it didn't work.

About 3 weeks later, we brought it to a repair shop. Woila, repair shop says the fridge works fine. So obviously the thing needed a LOT of time to settle.

Our fridge is a Dometic 12 cu ft side by side.
    I'm really surprised it came back to life. That is very encouraging.

Jim

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From RVTravel website

Operating the refrigerator off level creates an inordinate amount of heat at the rear of the unit, especially in the boiler area. Coupled with improper ventilation, this extra heat can escalate very quickly into potential costly troubles. When overheating occurs over a period of time, the sodium chromate inside the pipes begins to crystallize (sodium chromate is used to protect the insides of the tubing from the corrosiveness of the ammonia). Typically the blockage will occur in the percolator tube, one of the smallest of the internal tubes inside the cooling core. The percolator tube inside the boiler section can become impassable because of the blockage (see photo). When this happens, the cooling unit is blocked and cannot be repaired. It must be replaced with a new or reconditioned unit.
    2017 Solitude 384GK
    2012 F350 Lariat
    Pullrite Superglide 18K

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    An angle of 3º is a road slope of about 5%. There are lots of highways with extended grades of greater than 5% up/down. I wonder how long the fridge can tolerate this angle while travelling?

Rob
    I've towed trailers for quite a few years. Always run down the highway with frig running for a couple days in a row and never had an issue. Mind u they were dometics. This no cold we have now has been nothing but trouble.
    John & Joanne
    2018 Solitude 374TH
    2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax CC DRW
    2001 Harley Ultra Classic

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tedzz9 View Post
    From RVTravel website

Operating the refrigerator off level creates an inordinate amount of heat at the rear of the unit, especially in the boiler area. Coupled with improper ventilation, this extra heat can escalate very quickly into potential costly troubles. When overheating occurs over a period of time, the sodium chromate inside the pipes begins to crystallize (sodium chromate is used to protect the insides of the tubing from the corrosiveness of the ammonia). Typically the blockage will occur in the percolator tube, one of the smallest of the internal tubes inside the cooling core. The percolator tube inside the boiler section can become impassable because of the blockage (see photo). When this happens, the cooling unit is blocked and cannot be repaired. It must be replaced with a new or reconditioned unit.
    1. Is there a manual or tech site that shows exactly how these rv refrigerators work?

2. If excess heat at the boiler is an issue then would additional or more powerful fans be helpful? Numerous folks have added various fans at the back of the refrigerator and they report improved cooling performance. I'm guessing those fans are helping to manage the excessive heat in the rear boiler area?

3. If out of level csn eventually clog up the system, why is ok that the fridge is essentially out of level while we are driving, especially when ascending or descending a long steep incline?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw some RV Refrigerator articles at escapees https://www.escapees.com/?s=RV+Refrigerator
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Answers to your questions:

1. Google absorption refrigerator. Lots of articles to make a person’s head spin.

2. More fans would probably not help. A product I’ve thought of installing is from a company named ARP RV, the product monitors boiler temps, it shuts things down when too hot and restarts after the boiler cools.

3. The ever changing grade angle, bumps in the road, and turns keep fluid from pooling in one spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    1. Is there a manual or tech site that shows exactly how these rv refrigerators work?

2. If excess heat at the boiler is an issue then would additional or more powerful fans be helpful? Numerous folks have added various fans at the back of the refrigerator and they report improved cooling performance. I'm guessing those fans are helping to manage the excessive heat in the rear boiler area?

3. If out of level csn eventually clog up the system, why is ok that the fridge is essentially out of level while we are driving, especially when ascending or descending a long steep incline?
    Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Attached is a pdf with a few slides from a Dometic class I attended.

First two slides show basic layout of an absorption refrigerator.

Third slide is directed at the need to be level when stationary.

Fourth slide, explains level is not critical while moving.

Remaining slides cover ventilation requirements. If your refrigerator isn't cooling properly especially in hot weather, it is worth the few minutes it takes to see if your refrigerator has the appropriate baffles and insulation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	refrigerator for gd forum.pdf 
Views:	146 
Size:	940.8 KB 
ID:	14380
    Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    I saw some RV Refrigerator articles at escapees https://www.escapees.com/?s=RV+Refrigerator
    Thanks. Good reading!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carnolddsm View Post
    Attached is a pdf with a few slides from a Dometic class I attended.

First two slides show basic layout of an absorption refrigerator.

Third slide is directed at the need to be level when stationary.

Fourth slide, explains level is not critical while moving.

Remaining slides cover ventilation requirements. If your refrigerator isn't cooling properly especially in hot weather, it is worth the few minutes it takes to see if your refrigerator has the appropriate baffles and insulation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	refrigerator for gd forum.pdf 
Views:	146 
Size:	940.8 KB 
ID:	14380
    Thank you for that pdf! It really helps to explain things. And it reminds me of organic chemistry lab lol.

Per the diagram it would seem that additional extraction fans at the top vent would help.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast