User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Davey View Post
    Cate&Rob, I appreciate the effort and workmanship you put in to restoring that beautiful boat. I also recognize a lot of the places you boated in the 1,000 Islands. I think I saw Waterson S.P and several other areas on the Canadian Channel. Brought back a lot of good memories boating the same general area from 1992 to 2000 out of Bonnie Castle in A-bay.
    Bill - We are definitely talking about the same locations. I have been on this river for 60 years. In the early 70's, A-Bay (Alexandria Bay) was a wild place to be on a Saturday night! Back then, we went back and forth across the river without giving much thought to it being an international border . . . can't do that anymore! My father and my grandfather were "river rats" before me. Our family stories includes A-Bay, something called "prohibition", a fast boat that my grandfather and his brother built . . . and something about "rum running" .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Bill - We are definitely talking about the same locations. I have been on this river for 60 years. In the early 70's, A-Bay (Alexandria Bay) was a wild place to be on a Saturday night! Back then, we went back and forth across the river without giving much thought to it being an international border . . . can't do that anymore! My father and my grandfather were "river rats" before me. Our family stories includes A-Bay, something called "prohibition", a fast boat that my grandfather and his brother built . . . and something about "rum running" .

Rob
    Now that's some stories that would be a lot of fun to hear.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob - we have a lot of the same family history as well. My dad used to tell stories about bringing small boat loads of "pickle juice" in gallon containers across the river at night with no lights on the boat. Flashlights on shore would signal either OK, or run the other way. I too am sad that the border is not as open as it once was. My grandfather ran away from home in Odessa Ontario at age 13 and came to Watertown NY in 1900. So I'm only 1 generation removed from being Canadian myself.
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS, purchased April 2018. 2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel (I need a bigger truck!). Oswego NY in the summer, Ft. Myers Beach, Fl in the winter. GD is my summer home. Previously owned: 2015 Rockwood 2604WS; 2012 KZ Stoneridge 43' toy hauler; 2005 Titanium 39' toy hauler.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being handy with tools and familiar with boats I must say I really respect what you have done with the boat, simply beautiful. I am amazed.
    Stephen & Janell
    2019 Momentum 397TH, 2019 Lance 1172 TC
    06 Ram 3500 4X4 Cummins, Polaris RZR 800S, 6X6 500, Pro R 800, Pro S 600, LS XR4140H Tractor
    Cessna 180 on floats, P-Ponk 520 Super Eagle, Camaro RS/SS

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rob

Just saw this thread for the first time. What an amazing boat and the work you've done on it over the years is fantastic! Thanks for sharing.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Rob -

Came across this thread while doing a search that was about as far from this topic as you can get. Anyhow.....

I'd like to personally thank you for freeing up some much needed space in my garage/workshop. That's because after I saw your work, I promptly a) went and threw rocks at my restored pontoon boat and b) I threw away and/or sold all of my woodworking and other shop tools. Man....I didn't realize I had that much space and it's nice to get that monkey off my back.

Seriously....I'm not sure I can come up with the words that would express how impressed I am with your "work" and the finished project (are boat projects ever really finished??). I'm hoping that you'll feel sorry for me and tell me about at least one mistake you made. It would go along way to restore what's left of my woodworking/mechanic/fabrication/whatever skills.

Awesome job Rob. You win.

Tom
    Tom & Donna
    Our RV: 2016 Reflection 337RLS 5th wheel
    Our Tow Beast: 2017 Ram 3500 Limited Dually
    Our Dogs: Sadie & Bugsey
    Favorite Drink: Moonshine
    Nationality: Redneck
    My Motto: May the bridges we burn light the way

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENESIS View Post
    I'm hoping that you'll feel sorry for me and tell me about at least one mistake you made.
    Hi Tom,

The "one mistake I made" was putting wood details all over a perfectly serviceable aluminum boat 😀. Many years ago, my father-in-law (who had a very similar boat, that Cate grew up on) made the observation that I would one day regret all that wood trim. He was absolutely right!! Now my boating time seems to be filled with restoring the weathered bits and pieces that I built myself, a decade or two ago. To your point . . . a boat is never "finished"!

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4480.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Tom,

The "one mistake I made" was putting wood details all over a perfectly serviceable aluminum boat ��. Many years ago, my father-in-law (who had a very similar boat, that Cate grew up on) made the observation that I would one day regret all that wood trim. He was absolutely right!! Now my boating time seems to be filled with restoring the weathered bits and pieces that I built myself, a decade or two ago. To your point . . . a boat is never "finished"!

Rob

HA! I too have had experience with decorative wood on a boat. When I was around 10 Y/O, my Dad bought a early 60's Chris Craft Cavalier (30 footer). The gunwales from bow to stern were mahogany as were the assist railings along the top of the cabin. The stern of the boat had an overlay of?? You guessed it - mahogany. Every where you looked there was mahogany trim. And with all that mahogany under 4 coats of sanded spar varnish gleaming in the sunlight, the boat was a stunner. The boat was plywood hulled and powered by twin 283 Chevy blocks with 4 barrel carbs. This made for a pretty fast boat - relatively speaking. I absolutely loved when we'd take it out and Dad would firewall the throttles. BUT.....I soon learned to hate all that mahogany after a year of salt air and sun ravaging. Because, as you know, it was stripping, sanding, staining, painting, sanding, painting, etc. I think I once said to my Dad, "Why don't we paint all this white and be done with it?" It was very definition of a labor of love.

Tom
    Tom & Donna
    Our RV: 2016 Reflection 337RLS 5th wheel
    Our Tow Beast: 2017 Ram 3500 Limited Dually
    Our Dogs: Sadie & Bugsey
    Favorite Drink: Moonshine
    Nationality: Redneck
    My Motto: May the bridges we burn light the way

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rob - You may regret those wood accents, but man it sure looks purdy...

Jim

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, here’s my sea story. For the 8 years before we bought our fifth wheel (a SOB POS) 4 years ago, we spent all of our winters aboard our 36’ PDQ catamaran sailboat, sailing up and down the US east coast and both coasts of Florida, over to the Bahamas and, then, down to Cuba, the Yucatán, Belize, Guatemala, and Honduras. What a ride it was! Best wishes to all of you fellow boaters out there!
    Phil

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast