User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our "Floating RV"

I have referenced in a few different threads that our "other RV" is a boat. With a question in a recent discussion that wandered off topic about old engines and this new forum section about hobbies . . . I thought I would tell the story of my hobby, which is our first "RV”. This story goes back 25 years and is the restoration of a (now) 46 year old boat that was the floating RV for Cate & I and where we and our four boys spent every summer. Once the boys had grown and gone their own ways and Cate & I retired, the transition to a land based RV was easy. We are very used to living in this size space and I have lots of experience with the plumbing, electrical and mechanical things that are surprisingly common between boats and RVs. We still have the boat for summers in Canada and our Reflection is for winters in Florida.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Our Floating RV.pdf  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very neat water rv. My wife would love something like that.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice! A lot of hard work!
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely beautiful Rob!

As a vintage auto restorer I can appreciate how much time, research, effort, patience and attention to detail you have put into it. It touches both of my passions, vintage vehicle restorations and being on the water.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just
    wow
    Rob

Did your Dad get to see the boat with all the improvements? (I think most sons get that "look" from their Dad at some point.)
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice! And as an amateur woodworker I must say your woodworking skills are impressive. I guess my little runabout could be your dinghy...

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also transitioned from boats to RV. It was a big decision for us, we thought seriously about a trawler and doing the Caribbean Cruise. But when we started looking at the diversity of activities we could do and the number of ports we cold visit we opted for a land yacht instead.

We upsized several times but ended up with a 31' Walk-around Cuddy. Perfect for diving.

Here is Barbara describing what it feels like to swim with a school of 300lb Goliath Groupers.

We had lots of wonderful adventures. In the Bahama's there was a Dolphin Rescue place that allowed folks to swim with some of their Dolphins.
    A very rare treat.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cate & Rob,
    That was just amazing! I have such an appreciation for that, as Diana and I were planning on doing a 48' DeFever for 3-4 years. Unfortunately knee, back, neck, shoulder surgery for one or both of us knocked us out of that (I can't just pull over for the night if we hit 4-6' seas), so here we are.

Great job you guys!
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Did your Dad get to see the boat with all the improvements? (I think most sons get that "look" from their Dad at some point.)
    Hi Howard - My parents were sailors and Cate's were powerboats. We got to boat with them both on many occasions . . . so, yes, my Dad got to see the restoration years. He did come around . . . eventually .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very impressive Rob! I just looked up the word "bristol" in the dictionary and found a picture of your boat. I can appreciate the work involved in restoring an old boat as I've fixed up a couple of them myself. But a spare original model engine!?!? That's over the top. I couldn't find parts to restore our original engine so took a much easier tack. Nice to see you don't mind hanging out with the "Rag Baggers".

Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast