User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Bonded Leather Upholstery - Poor Material Known to Fail Prematurely - Get Rid of It!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chunker View Post
    Perhaps the manufacturers, GD in this case, could offer a "furniture delete" option at the factory build. I would imagine that in the Solitude for example which touts itself as "extended stay", the typical buyer of this product isn't a newbie and has been around the RV block a few times and would welcome the chance to start with decent furniture from the beginning. Lazyboy , for example, offers wall hugging recliners and their sleeper sofas are actually comfortable to sit in. AND they are good quality and last. Other furniture makers offer offer similar lines. If given the opportunity while ordering to delete the crap, I would and I suspect many others would too.

So GD if you want to really set yourself above the rest, offer that option.
    Or GDRV could offer a leather upgrade option? I would have liked better cushion material for starters. Sit at the dinette and they go completely flat.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Or GDRV could offer a leather upgrade option? I would have liked better cushion material for starters. Sit at the dinette and they go completely flat.
    I took my seat cushions to an upholstery shop who special ordered a higher density foam and installed for $120.00 Night and day difference.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
    Anybody see a similarity between our RV Industry now and the Big 3 back in the 70's? I think "contempt for the consumer" states it all really well. GD is not exempt.

As for the furniture in the current RVs (getting back to the OP), the current stuff from LCI is just all crap. When we get our new RV next spring the "crap" will be immediatly taken to a an upholsterer and re-done with a high quality fabric material. We want the furniture to breath, not hot sticky in summer and not cold as ice in winter. We plan to replace everything on the furniture except the frame with new higher quality materials. You would think when you get into the $100K plus price point they would use something better than the LCI garbage. LCI is doing what Camping World is doing or visa versa, buying up all their competition so they can dominate their markets. Consumer looses every time.
    My wife and I have both been to upholstery school. We were looking at the delaminating "leather" last week, and it's the materials that are deficient rather than the furniture. We have the SuperSofa option which is actually a 12' wallhugger recliner Love seat with separate wide arm rests on each side, left hand and right hand wallhugger recliners on each side.

It would be very time consuming and very expensive to recover so many pieces. We may have to go with Rec Con on replacement furniture and slightly reconfigure our seating. The other brands of furniture are really, really expensive. And I certainly don't care for more leather furniture.

Too bad that regular house furniture won't fit through the doors of most RV's.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ReiMan1776 View Post
    I took my seat cushions to an upholstery shop who special ordered a higher density foam and installed for $120.00 Night and day difference.
    Great. Can you point me to the type of cushion you used? Some high density uses memory foam and other materials. Thank you.
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 01-03-2019 at 06:53 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Great. Can you point me to the type of cushion you used? Some high density uses memory foam and other materials. Thank you.
    I will ask my upholstery shop what they ordered and get back to you.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    I am too another victim. Our trailer is 4 years old and had relatively few nights for the delamination of two seats. I have a 323BHS with SuperSofa option which deletes the dinette and replaces it with 12' of a loveseat wallhugger recliners with left and right wallhugger recliners on each side.

We wish that conventional upholstery would work, however a large couch will not fit through the RV front door and the rather small hallway. 5hat's why they make RV furniture which comes inside in pieces. I've got to get back up to my camper with a tape measure to see exactly what will fit. I don't know that with the slide extended, I have 89 inches from the wall to the kitchen island. If not, I will be limited to a J Bed rather than a hide-a-bed. RecCon may be what we switch to.
    Not to hijack the thread, but can't you install it through one of the windows ?
    Gordo Fuchs
    Northfield, Ohio 44067
    2015 305RE Moryde I/S, Electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    My wife and I have both been to upholstery school. We were looking at the delaminating "leather" last week, and it's the materials that are deficient rather than the furniture. We have the SuperSofa option which is actually a 12' wallhugger recliner Love seat with separate wide arm rests on each side, left hand and right hand wallhugger recliners on each side.

It would be very time consuming and very expensive to recover so many pieces. We may have to go with Rec Con on replacement furniture and slightly reconfigure our seating. The other brands of furniture are really, really expensive. And I certainly don't care for more leather furniture.

Too bad that regular house furniture won't fit through the doors of most RV's.
    Did you mean RecPro? My girlfriend put RecPro pieces in her Crusader 5th wheel to replace the dinette and sofa bed. They have a pretty good variety of styles and offerings. She requested fabric swatches of certain colors and ordered 5 pieces which fit perfectly in the 12' slide. The mechanism is beefy and they sit quite comfortably. Wall hugging recline and fold down tables backs with cup holders. It doesn't breather real well like real leather so sometime I have a towel behind my back. We use TV type trays to eat. Pieces have the backs come off for easy movement and the parts clip together at the floor. We'll see how well they hold up but after almost a year doing good.
    2007 Itasca Horizon 40FD, 2012 Wrangler toad
    2017 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW, 320X sold and pending future purchase
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gordofuchs View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but can't you install it through one of the windows ?
    It's a shame a dealer cannot unhook the big 12' slide and remove it with a forklift. Then a conventional upholstery piece could be installed and the slide replaced. Even if you had to pay to get it done, conventional upholstery pieces are cheaper than a bunch of modular metal framed couches/recliners.