User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portable Solar Panels - Leave plugged in?

Hubby bought me the Furion 95W Solar Panel Suitcase for use with my new camper. I have 2 12V batteries and will be dry camping almost exclusively. Do I just leave the Solar plugged in all the time to keep the batteries topped or will that cause damage to them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your charge controller will allow you to leave the panel plugged in.
    I put mine away at night.
    The charge controller is not water proof, so do not leave it out in the rain.
    Don't forget to re-angle the solar panel towards the sun once or twice during the day for maximum amperage from the sunlight.
    And do not allow even a square inch of shadow to fall anywhere on the solar panel, or it will significantly lower the power output.
    Have a fun campout.
    Larry & Jeannie
    Petoskey, MI
    2016 GMC Sierra 1500 w/ NHT heavy tow option,
    AirLift airbags, Bilstein Shocks, Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus Tires - 285/50R20 116T XL
    Eeztire TPMS
    2017 Reflection 29RS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We leave our solar plugged in, as mentioned you do need a charge controller. Our charge controller is mounted on the back wall of the front storage compartment .We also use a cable and lock on the panel to make it harder to walk away with. I see you're in the UP, when you move your panel around be sure your hands are clean so you don't leave the smell of food on your panel. Story below is why

We were camped in the UP on Emily Lake SFCG (just south of Twin Lakes) and bears have a habit of site surfing for food late at night there. While in bed for the night we heard a bear making noise and even joked about it. We figured he was mad because the supplied trash can was empty. We always pack trash away while in bear areas so were not concerned. We woke up to our solar panel smashed in hunderds of pieces. Best guess is a pissed off bear and maybe it had food scent on it. Since then we try and be aware and wash hands before moving the panel around .In the middle of nothing on a long holiday weekend, no way were we going to find a replacement so recharged of our tow vehicle running.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, would not have thought of that. Lots of other critters, coons and such could mess around with it too if it smells inviting. No point in taking a chance for damage. I believe my charge controller is part of the unit. I have the Furrion 95W Solar Suitcase.
    2018 Reflection 220 RK Fifth Wheel
    2020 F150 3.5 Ecoboost Heavy Duty Payload/Heavy Duty Towing
    Andersen Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamsetc View Post
    Thanks, would not have thought of that. Lots of other critters, coons and such could mess around with it too if it smells inviting. No point in taking a chance for damage. I believe my charge controller is part of the unit. I have the Furrion 95W Solar Suitcase.
    You should have a solar charger built in. Make sure you do though. It could over heat and ruin your batteries if not.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 80W Zamp portable panel that I won at the 2017 Grand Design Rally in Southern Oregon. I put it on the roof of our rig in the summer to keep the batteries topped off while we are not camping. Rig is in the driveway and the free electricity is a good thing. If it's real hot, I'll run the roof vents to exhaust some of the heat.
    I think the solar panel controller charges the batteries better then the Momentum's converter.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need a charge controller and shouldn't keep it plugged in all the time.
    We have nothing to lose and a world to see...
    My website: HikerTrack
    Best 10 person tent: click here
    Best outdoor watches under 100: click here

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't forget to wire up the trailer solar plug to the batteries. I believe the wiring it there but not tied into the battery's when units come new. Also check that the fuse holder has a fuse in it. I know my trailer solar plug is not wired in. Check the specifications on the controller. Some can be left plugged in all the time if they automatically cut back on the charge rate if the battery is full.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar