User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replaced TireMinder TPMS System

This is a follow on from Post #3 to replace my TPMS system.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...er-False-Alarm

My decision came down to EEZ and TST. Here are my thoughts, choice and first impressions.

• Research - they looked very similar with both receiving very positive reviews. Although reviews indicated no need for the repeater on the EEZ, some indicated 40 foot coach owners needed the EEZ repeater for consistent signal.
    • Price - I only need 4 transmitters, just for the coach. The new truck has pressure monitoring built in (no temp) but confident pressure will be adequate. TST has the flow-through transmitters and a repeater in one of their kits. Couldn't find the EEZ with flow-through and repeater in a kit form but the add-ons exceeded the TST kit price. TST wins this one for me.
    • Support perception - EEZ has a bunch of products to support so the TPMS is just one of many. Reviews indicate good support. TST has a much smaller product base with good support reviews too. TST wins this one for me.

I purchased the TST 507 kit with 4 flow-through transmitters, color monitor and repeater. Setup and installation was very simple for the transmitters...configure a transmitter to a position on the display, label the transmitter (didn't use the supplied stickers but silver Sharpie with tire position) and move to the next. Due to my existing repeater on the TireMinder, I already had a location and wiring locations. Again easy installation of the TST repeater in the front storage compartment.

First impressions:

• The color monitor displayed values wash out in the bright sunlight. This was expected from the reviews I read. With the sunglasses and my aging eyes I can still make out the numbers for each tire position.
    • The display windshield mount has stayed in place for a couple of weeks now. Looks like good suction on the display mount.
    • The display has an on/off switch which makes it easy to save battery. Owner's guide indicates approximately 7 seven days on a charge. Battery indicator on the display still shows full after two weeks although I have only used it approximately 6 hours total in the on mode.
    • The longest wait I have seen for values to appear after turning on the display is under 6 minutes. Flip the on switch before starting the hook up process and the numbers are displaying before pulling away.
    • The displayed values appear to be lower by 1-2 psi from my two tire gauges. Had to rethink my high and low thresholds, not a deal breaker.
    • Setting thresholds was on an axle basis and not position based. I couldn't come up a good reason why position would be important as I run all the coach tires at 110psi.

After only a couple of towing events, I am feeling more confident than the outgoing TireMinder. I like the flow-through transmitters, some say there is risk due to the length but I don't curb bump my tires and have the metal stems on the G-rated tires.
    Barb, Lyle and the 3 four-legged kids
    2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad it’s working well for you. I don’t have the color screen, but I agree with everything you stated. The display battery life is amazing. I have been replacing my sensor batteries at the beginning of each travel season. Be sure to stock up on O-Rings for the sensors as they usually fall apart when changing the batteries. I know TST sells them (priced high now I believe). Not sure if others would work, like from a hardware store. I don’t see why not though if it’s the same size.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m running the TST507 on my 4 G-rated tires with metal stems. I bought a kit with 6 flow through sensors. I used 5 (4 wheels plus the spare tire). I have one unused as a spare in case one fails.

I also bought a repeater which helped keep the sensors reporting. I mounted the repeater in the front battery compartment of my Reflection 5th wheel. .

I found that the sensor batteries start to get weak after about 14 months. I bought a pack of 10 CR1632 batteries on Amazon for $7 and replaced them all. I believe it takes a #00 philips screw driver to remove the tiny screws.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lyle (CloseToRetirement) - Thanks for the detailed update. Per our earlier discussion, this is on my "wish list" as well. I will also need to include an upgrade to metal stems, since I have been running the original high pressure rubber/brass stems with no problems with the TireMinder sensors.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have been running TST systems for several years now. Based on my personal experience, the "flow through" sensors are problematic. They have a narrow passage and if you need to add significant quantities of air, it takes quite a while. In addition, the first sensors I received all leaked near the battery cover. TST replaced them under warranty with a "new" model. One of the four leaked, and two of the four would not pass any air. You couldn't get air in, and couldn't get a reading on the pressure gauge.

Two years ago, we needed to replace the whole system due to a loss of our truck and trailer. We selected the standard TST 507 (non-flow through). I like this system MUCH better and it has been bug free.

Hopefully, TST has worked out some of the problems with the flow through issues. But if anyone else is reading this, I'd suggest the standard 507, and not the 507 flow through.

Jim

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    Glad it’s working well for you. I don’t have the color screen, but I agree with everything you stated. The display battery life is amazing. I have been replacing my sensor batteries at the beginning of each travel season. Be sure to stock up on O-Rings for the sensors as they usually fall apart when changing the batteries. I know TST sells them (priced high now I believe). Not sure if others would work, like from a hardware store. I don’t see why not though if it’s the same size.
    I found a trick to the o-rings. After my first season with the TireMinder system, the o-rings became brittle and needed replacement. Before I installed the o-ring replacement set, I put a very light coat of Dow Molykote 111 on each o-ring. Never replaced another o-ring after that but applied a new coat of 111 each spring when I replaced the batteries (also bulk ordered batteries from Amazon).

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    I have been running TST systems for several years now. Based on my personal experience, the "flow through" sensors are problematic. They have a narrow passage and if you need to add significant quantities of air, it takes quite a while. In addition, the first sensors I received all leaked near the battery cover. TST replaced them under warranty with a "new" model. One of the four leaked, and two of the four would not pass any air. You couldn't get air in, and couldn't get a reading on the pressure gauge.

Two years ago, we needed to replace the whole system due to a loss of our truck and trailer. We selected the standard TST 507 (non-flow through). I like this system MUCH better and it has been bug free.

Hopefully, TST has worked out some of the problems with the flow through issues. But if anyone else is reading this, I'd suggest the standard 507, and not the 507 flow through.

Jim
    Jim, thanks for the heads up! Supposedly the new TST systems overcome the previous issues. I have been able to get accurate readings from the flow-through valves on all tires with my gauges. I haven't had to fill the tires yet but will post an update on the thread if I start to experience the issues.
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CloseToRetirement View Post
    I found a trick to the o-rings. After my first season with the TireMinder system, the o-rings became brittle and needed replacement. Before I installed the o-ring replacement set, I put a very light coat of Dow Molykote 111 on each o-ring. Never replaced another o-ring after that but applied a new coat of 111 each spring when I replaced the batteries (also bulk ordered batteries from Amazon).

Thanks! I’ll try that when I do it again.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post

Jim
    Hi Jim,

How does the size/weight of the non-flow through TST sensor compare to the TireMinder sensor? (Do you still have that Tireminder sensor that you found, to compare to )

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE: Two months

• The flow through sensors take full air pressure. No degradation in read or fill.
    • Only a single charge about 6 weeks in during the past 2 months.
    • I am very pleased with the consistency of the startup to get readings at less than 5 minutes.
    • The only thing I would do differently is select the non-color monitor. Mine is mounted on the dash and the sun can at times wash out the readings.

I would definitely recommend this unit (non-color monitor) for those considering a TPMS.
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CloseToRetirement View Post
    UPDATE: Two months

• The flow through sensors take full air pressure. No degradation in read or fill.
    • Only a single charge about 6 weeks in during the past 2 months.
    • I am very pleased with the consistency of the startup to get readings at less than 5 minutes.
    • The only thing I would do differently is select the non-color monitor. Mine is mounted on the dash and the sun can at times wash out the readings.

I would definitely recommend this unit (non-color monitor) for those considering a TPMS.
    Well I just purchased the TST-507-RV4 standard caps with monochrome display. I found it on sale for $224 and free shipping. We'll see how it works. Thanks everyone for your comments on this system. will make us feel better knowing whats going on back there.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast