User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do I need an equalizing hitch?

Just bought an Imagine 2150. 26’9” long, loaded weight of around 6500lbs. I am pulling with a 2013 Ram 3500 dully, Cummins motor. Should I install a equalizer hitch or am I ok to tow without one given the heavy duty truck I’m pulling with?

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can certainly try it first to see how it goes. Load the trailer with a minimum of 10% on the tongue (I prefer 13-14%). Then hook up the truck and measure the drop at the rear and front fenders. You don't want to unload the front end too much so that it affects steering.

Another suggestion is to check your truck's owners manual and the sticker on your receiver hitch. Both will let you know if you're towing within the specifications of your truck. For example, check out the tag on my receiver hitch. Using the same terminology Equalizer hitch = weight distributing hitch. Weight carrying means no weight distributing system. In my case, if I was using a 2.5" drawbar (hitch shank), I could tow 8,500# with a maximum tongue weight of 850# without an equalizer or similar hitch. But if I was using the 2" shank with an adapter to fill the 2.5" hole, my limit would be 6,000# and 600# of tongue weight. This would prevent me from towing your Imagine.

Jim
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 08-10-2018 at 11:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may not need an equalizer hitch, but you might want one after you pull on the interstate highways
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've wondered how the RV delivery contractors tow larger travel trailers. I assume that they do not use a WD hitch as I've never seen any evidence of of the brackets being installed on a new unit. I assume that most of the deliveries are made with 350/450 class trucks with which they "brute force" the trailers down the road for a thousand miles or so.

One thing to consider in your case though is the stress that a non-WD witch puts on the hitch itself. A high load on a dead-weight hitch could put a very high leverage on the hitch attachment to the truck frame, and cause a failure over time. The same stress could also apply the the hitch coupler on the trailer. Also, most newer WD hitches (like the Blue Ox SwayPro that I have) also provide sway control, which would likely still be a problem with your towing combination. You may not feel the sway very much with a dually, but the forces are still there.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would want the equalizer setup for sway control if nothing else. I have a '17 F250 and the new hitch for it is rated at 1500 lb tongue and 15000 max weight with no weight distributing needed!! That's per Ford of course. I pulled my Imagine 2950 (1100 lb tongue wt) about 50 miles one time just to try it and you could definitely feel more sway from the semi's and wind. Your mileage may vary
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff