User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was reading with interest thru this thread.

Oh My we have a lot of "stuff" we have ended up with in over 41 years of marriage, in our 3000 sqft 4 BR, 3 BA, W/full size office home with 2 separate HVAC system units and two 50 gallon water heaters and another 2000sqft of shop space behind the house on 1.7 acres. Most 90% of it surrounded by wooden privacy and chain link fence that constantly needs repair. We bought the house as an investment 16 years ago knowing that we would never stay here until we die but its getting to be a PITRA. and property taxes that keep going up every year! If you're locked in tax % they raise your property value to get the same increase in taxes.

Down here in Texas we constantly have problems with termites, carpenter ants, fire ants, scorpions, spiders and a whole host of other pests that we constantly have to treat for to keep them from eating our wooded structures. Also the stupid armadillos that keep digging pot holes in the yard and black jack oak trees that constantly lose limbs, branches and die because of drought is a constant job cleaning up after. Oh and did I mention blowing dirt in the dry season? Then there is the 5 acres adjacent to us that has never been maintained and is full of yopon, giant ragweed that stands 5 feet high and cedar trees that all migrate over into our property. Right now its time for cedar fever allergies. Giant clouds of green cedar pollen floating through the air. But Texas does have great weather!! LOL

Whats in the house and shops, we ended up with lots of antique glassware and china, hand made quilts 3 cedar chests full, antique clocks, ceramic figurines, paintings, tools and all sorts of stuff from my parents, grand parents and great aunts/uncles when they past. My In-laws also collected antique & depression glassware and also porcelain dolls that stand @ 3ft, Fred& Ginger, Princess Diana, Marie Osmond and a whole host of other figures. A huge task in keeping clean even in the 4 glassware cabinets we have.
    Then our proclivity to collect things. For my wife more paintings -Thomas Kinkade, glassware, native american art. She has a complete native american bead breast plate hanging on a wall. Oh and did I mention the full set of Texas longhorn cattle horns hanging on the wall that spans 7 feet?

For me military stuff, american west cowboy and rodeo figurines and covered / conestoga wagons, bull whips and ropes and oh yes, my antique auto stuff collections- miniature gas pumps, models, antique oil & gas cans, stop lights, pictures and posters and lots of other car "stuff". Oh and did I mention tools? Out in my shop 3 tool chests full (classic car restorations). Tools Including old hand cross cut and rip saws that were my fathers and grand fathers, nobody uses these anymore or wants them except to paint murals on. Then there are all the spare car parts from the 50s, 60s ,70s.

Some of the things haven't seen the light of day in years, or since we moved from Ohio 15 years ago. The last time we saw some of the stuff was when we and had to pack it all up 16 years ago. Or for that matter stuff hanging on the walls been dusted in the last few months. Some I started a year ago trying to sell off. Haven't really made a dent in it yet!

Funny how my children do not want most of this stuff, changing times I guess or they had more guts to say no! How do you tell your parents no, I don't want all the stuff you have collected when they are in wheel chair nursing homes drowning in their oatmeal?

A lot of the stuff came from family members who lived back in the 1920s who our kids never met. They don't want to have to deal with all the "stuff" once we are gone. A lot more families do not live in the same locations anymore, family members grow up and move away and family heirlooms do not mean as much as they used to.
    We have told our kids to pick out whatever they want and what they dont want will be offered to my sisters, nieces, nephews and other family members. A lot of them, younger family members have told us they don't want it either! Who wants an old Seth Thomas kitchen clock from the 1920s? After all it doesn't have WIFI!!

What is left and doesn't sell gets donated.

We intend to go full time and even if we don't, and end up extended part timing (still don't like the idea of a house setting without people for extended periods, too many things can go wrong and sub-leasing is out out the question. Ever had your main water line break in your front yard and end up with a $2000 water bill because you were gone for 2 weeks and the people watching your house didn't see it either? We did!
    Even if we end up in an old folks apartment and part time RV, we have to down size, we have too much stuff and too big of house now. Will I miss all this crap, headaches and upkeep - heck no! When your dead - your dead -you cant take it with you.

Different strokes for different folks.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    We live on some acreage near Tucson in a truly beautiful spot even if I do say so myself. We have no desire to give up our home to go full time. But what we do have is a desire to be out of Tucson for July and August and do some boondocking and 7-10 day trips throughout the year. Our 310GK is making that possible for us.

From our patio...

Attachment 16771
    Jeff & Jen - spectacular picture ! With cold and snow this time of year here, that picture looks even better.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Who wants an old Seth Thomas kitchen clock from the 1920s?
    One day those same kids will regret that they don't have something tangible from the family in their home. My grandparent's home and all of it contents were sold at auction. I found out after-the-fact. It still pains me to this day that the cuckoo clock in the dining room and other items that were so familiar to me as a child are gone forever.

Overall the message of your post is spot on. Most of our stuff we've accumulated over the years and dragged from assignment to assignment is going to the local bargain store that uses the profits to feed the homeless. Might as well do some good with the old "crap".
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    We live on some acreage near Tucson in a truly beautiful spot even if I do say so myself. We have no desire to give up our home to go full time. But what we do have is a desire to be out of Tucson for July and August and do some boondocking and 7-10 day trips throughout the year. Our 310GK is making that possible for us.

From our patio...

Attachment 16771

@DaveMatthewsBand - maybe we can visit for a few minutes at Quartzsite. I would like to check out your solar and get a little advice about mine.
    Same here. Born and raised in Southern Arizona, lived here most of my life and love it. What I always find funny is that so many people from other places think the entire state is desert and is on fire all summer, when the reality is all you have to do is drive a little ways and you are in Ponderosa forests and high altitudes where it's cooler. The big population centers are all in the desert, but go north a bit and it's a whole new world.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    One day those same kids will regret that they don't have something tangible from the family in their home. My grandparent's home and all of it contents were sold at auction. I found out after-the-fact. It still pains me to this day that the cuckoo clock in the dining room and other items that were so familiar to me as a child are gone forever.

Overall the message of your post is spot on. Most of our stuff we've accumulated over the years and dragged from assignment to assignment is going to the local bargain store that uses the profits to feed the homeless. Might as well do some good with the old "crap".
    Hey Howard, possibly. It seems the young kids in my family have a different attitude towards family heirlooms and such.Their too busy with their phones, video games, big screen TV and technology do dads.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Hey Howard, possibly. It seems the young kids in my family have a different attitude towards family heirlooms and such.Their too busy with their phones, video games, big screen TV and technology do dads.

...nail hit squarely on the head.

We’ve got a household full of “stuff” from my grandparents and parents. Some of it from the late 1800’s. I really didnt want it but family history.... Kids have already said they don’t have room for it and don’t want it even if they did. Its only stuff and it’s probably not worth dollar wise the value we think it is.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an update on our progress. Garage sale didn't accomplish much in terms of clearing out our "junk". Ended up taking 2 pick-up trucks full of stuff to local charities. Christmas netted us more "stuff" from loving family that apparently does not believe we are selling. We are upgrading all the flooring in our home (only improvement before selling) and getting rid of furniture room by room as we go.

Had to cancel the trailers axle upgrade because of weather but will reschedule in the spring. Smaller family heirlooms are getting packed up or divided out to the kids. We will store a very minimum amount of things in one daughters basement.

This winter has been brutal here in northern Michigan and we can't wait to leave it forever!!!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    When we decided to go full time and we started trying to sell everything, it only took a couple weeks to realize the frustration and stress involved with dealing with low ballers, scammers and unreliable buyers just wasn’t worth it, so we just gave all of our stuff away.
    It was much easier, faster and nearly stress free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is always the option of selling your house and buying something like a cabin in an area that has a good vacation rental draw. You can rent it out while on the road, but set aside the times for your use to come back. You can lock of some areas like a shop or garage. Gives you some income while traveling.
    Brian and Paula- Truckee, CA
    2015 Reflection 303
    2017 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummings Turbo, Aisin HD Transmission
    B&W Companion Slider, Firestone Air Bags, Compressor with wireless remote

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234