Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zymology

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zymology

Zymology, also known as zymurgy (from the Greek: ζύμωσις+ἔργον, "the workings of fermentation") is an applied science which studies the biochemical process of fermentation and its practical uses. Common topics include the selection of fermenting yeast and bacteria species and their use in brewing, wine making, fermenting milk, and the making of other fermented foods. I refer to myself as a zymurgist; I'm a home brewer. I started brewing extract recipes in 2005 and quickly converted to the all-grain method. I've brewed every style of beer except Belgian's. I just can't seem to acquire a taste for that style.
    I also enjoy woodworking and shooting handguns... both of which are incompatible with partaking in the "fruits" of home brewing.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I received a "kit" for home brewing one year for Christmas. It was sure interesting to learn the process. And the IPA was some of the best I've tasted. I only made one batch, but I learned a lot.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought about it, thought about growing a garden also. In the end it was just cheaper to go buy it.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It certainly is less expensive to brew your own vs. buying from a store, once you recover from putting your system together. Crafting a beer that tastes just like a commercial mega/micro brewery is rewarding. It's a hobby, not a job, so I don't mind putting in the long brew day. The science behind the all-grain brewing process is quite interesting and that's what keeps me interested. In order to brew a beer to style, one needs to understand how different grains, hops, yeast, water quality, pH and temperature work together.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymurgist View Post
    Zymology, also known as zymurgy (from the Greek: ζύμωσις+ἔργον, "the workings of fermentation") is an applied science which studies the biochemical process of fermentation and its practical uses. Common topics include the selection of fermenting yeast and bacteria species and their use in brewing, wine making, fermenting milk, and the making of other fermented foods. I refer to myself as a zymurgist; I'm a home brewer. I started brewing extract recipes in 2005 and quickly converted to the all-grain method. I've brewed every style of beer except Belgian's. I just can't seem to acquire a taste for that style.
    I also enjoy woodworking and shooting handguns... both of which are incompatible with partaking in the "fruits" of home brewing.
    You and I would get along very well.

I don't home brew, but I do love craft beer!
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up a couple Fast Ferment systems last year and love them. Trying to decide if I can mount them in the basement to brew on the road when we go full time.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post

Yup - Carol and our family/friends also enjoy supporting the local brewers and others as we travel. Never had the desire to brew ourselves as as Dallas said, just easy to go buy and enjoy the breweries and family/friends.

Many good beers being brewed across the country in a wonderful environment where the various brewers share and support each other......good stuff. Attached picture of a few we picked up in Wisconsin last August !
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170815_181614.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	14467

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightclimber View Post
    I picked up a couple Fast Ferment systems last year and love them. Trying to decide if I can mount them in the basement to brew on the road when we go full time.
    That's quite a bit of weight to support, even for a 5 gallon batch. I wouldn't even begin to consider brewing if I was on the road full time. So much equipment to deal with. I'd have to find a different hobby.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post

Hunter70... I'm sure we would get along just fine. A few IPA's around the fire, good music and conversation... it doesn't get much better than that.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymurgist View Post
    That's quite a bit of weight to support, even for a 5 gallon batch. I wouldn't even begin to consider brewing if I was on the road full time. So much equipment to deal with. I'd have to find a different hobby.
    I worded that poorly. My plans once I go full time are to spend a couple months in a spot at a time to really explore the area. That will be sufficient time to brew a batch before moving on to the next spot.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast