User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Samsung Residential refrigerator too cold

I'm having an issue with our residential Samsung refrigerator and wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem. The refrigerator portion maintains mid to high 30's all the time. The freezer has been from -2 to -23, usually colder than -10. I have the freezer set to +8 and it still gets much too cold. I'm also finding that things in the refrigerator get frozen. This seemed to start while we were in a campground with a "not so good" power system, 30 amp only, and I'm wondering if something in the controller got messed up.
    Gary

2017 Solitude 374TH-R
    2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually
    2010 Honda NT700V
    2014 Sherco

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have our Samsung set at 36 degrees in the fridge and 0 degrees in the freezer - maintains those temps w/o any problems. We have a 30 amp outlet to plug into while getting ready for a trip and again, no problem w/ maintaining consistent temperatures.
    After having a residential fridge, it would take a lot to make me ever consider going back to a RV-style fridge.
    Completely unrelated to the fridge issue, but I also used to have a Honda NT700V - you meet the nicest people on a Honda!
    Ed & Charlotte W.
    2018 Solitude 310GK-R
    2017 Chevy 3500HD 2wd DRW

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're finding items frozen in a conventional fridge, it's most likely because you've overloaded the fridge. I was told by a refrigerator repair man that we should never load so much stuff onto the shelves that we can't see the back of the fridge. The cold air from the refrigerated section comes from the freezer. There's a blower at the back that distributes the cold air. If you overload the fridge, you block the circulating air, and wherever the cold air pools, you'll get frozen food. Once we stopped piling stuff onto the shelves so that air is blocked, we stopped having frozen stuff in the refrigerated section.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the first year, my refrigerator kept perfect temperature. It's only in the last couple months that it has gotten too cold in the freezer. I talked to a Samsung online person and they also said that the refrigerator might be overloaded which causes the freezing where you don't want it. I've tried to rearrange items in the refrigerator to allow the air flow to be better. I have not found a solution to the freezer being so cold.
    Gary

2017 Solitude 374TH-R
    2010 Honda NT700V
    2014 Sherco

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep the area in the very back of the refrigerated compartment clear and see if it improves things. We only put stuff about 3/4 of the way back and we pack things to allow air to come forward.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryBro View Post
    I'm having an issue with our residential Samsung refrigerator and wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem. The refrigerator portion maintains mid to high 30's all the time. The freezer has been from -2 to -23, usually colder than -10. I have the freezer set to +8 and it still gets much too cold. I'm also finding that things in the refrigerator get frozen. This seemed to start while we were in a campground with a "not so good" power system, 30 amp only, and I'm wondering if something in the controller got messed up.
    I hope you'll forgive some people here if they momentarily think you were joking in starting this thread. Our new trailer and Norcold propane/electric fridge have gone back to the dealer because the fridge couldn't get below 52F/11C on days when the ambient temperature was in the 80s.

Good luck with your issue.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My refrigerator section is not over stuffed and there is plenty of room for the air to circulate. However, my freezer is quite full.
    Gary

2017 Solitude 374TH-R
    2010 Honda NT700V
    2014 Sherco

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did rearrange the refrigerator section to make sure it allowed air space in the back. Don't think that I did very much, but for 3 days now, the freezer has been 0 degrees! I can finally scoop out my ice cream without waiting 15 minutes for it to warm up. Happy camper now!
    Gary

2017 Solitude 374TH-R
    2010 Honda NT700V
    2014 Sherco

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryBro View Post
    I'm having an issue with our residential Samsung refrigerator and wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem. The refrigerator portion maintains mid to high 30's all the time. The freezer has been from -2 to -23, usually colder than -10. I have the freezer set to +8 and it still gets much too cold. ...
    I realize this is an old thread but figured I'd reply in case anybody is considering a residential fridge. I have thermostats in both the fridge and freezer sections of our Samsung 18cf fridge and the freezer is much colder than the thermostat setting. The refrigerator section does a great job at maintaining a consistent temperature. It only varies about 3 degrees. I set it at 36 and that's pretty much where it stays. But, the freezer section typically swings 25 degrees. I set the freezer at +8 and it will swing from +5 to -20!

I chose the residential fridge because I was tired of the large swings in temperature I've experienced over the years with RV refrigerators. I was worried about food safety at times when I just couldn't get the fridge to stay at a safe temperature. I also had problems with the door seals and ice build up. The residential fridge solved these problems but I was surprised to see the wild swing in temps in the freezer. Fortunately the temps vary from cold to super cold. I will try rearranging things in the fridge the next time we use it to see if that helps with the super cold freezer temps.

Overall, we are very pleased with the Samsung residential fridge and much prefer it over the RV fridge but the huge swing in the freezer temp took me by surprise. I tested my home fridge and it doesn't have this problem. The Samsung fridge in our RV has a "digital inverter compressor" which varies the speed of the compressor as needed. Maybe this compressor design explains the difference in performance. I dunno...
    Last edited by bertschb; 05-15-2019 at 04:00 PM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I realize this is an old thread but figured I'd reply in case anybody is considering a residential fridge. I have thermostats in both the fridge and freezer sections of our Samsung 18cf fridge and the freezer is much colder than the thermostat setting. The refrigerator section does a great job at maintaining a consistent temperature. It only varies about 3 degrees. I set it at 36 and that's pretty much where it stays. But, the freezer section typically swings 25 degrees. I set the freezer at +8 and it will swing from +5 to -20!

I chose the residential fridge because I was tired of the large swings in temperature I've experienced over the years with RV refrigerators. I was worried about food safety at times when I just couldn't get the fridge to stay at a safe temperature. I also had problems with the door seals and ice build up. The residential fridge solved these problems but I was surprised to see the wild swing in temps in the freezer. Fortunately the temps vary from cold to super cold. I will try rearranging things in the fridge the next time we use it to see if that helps with the super cold freezer temps.

Overall, we are very pleased with the Samsung residential fridge and much prefer it over the RV fridge but the huge swing in the freezer temp took me by surprise. I tested my home fridge and it doesn't have this problem. The Samsung fridge in our RV has a "digital inverter compressor" which varies the speed of the compressor as needed. Maybe this compressor design explains the difference in performance. I dunno...

We called a local appliance repair facility and he replaced the thermostat (I think) and it has been good ever since.
    Gary

2017 Solitude 374TH-R
    2010 Honda NT700V
    2014 Sherco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast