User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was able to get a tailgate before our trip. It’s white with my black truck but who cares at this point. My better half says you can’t tell with the 5th wheel hooked up. I’m sure as soon as I paint it I’ll do something to it.
    D & J
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2014 F350, 6.7, Anderson Ultimate

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would it be pedantic of me to remind that it's not always the owner who pulls the release pin first?

We've only traveled a few months and have already met one of those people whose hitch release was pulled by someone else while they were at a rest stop.

I try to check ours every time we stop but sometimes I forget. My day may come!
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point. I have heard of folks that lock the release so I might have to investigate that.
    On our latest trip I have started pulling the handle after the gear hits the ground.
    D & J
    2016 Reflection 337RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Would it be pedantic of me to remind that it's not always the owner who pulls the release pin first?

We've only traveled a few months and have already met one of those people whose hitch release was pulled by someone else while they were at a rest stop.

I try to check ours every time we stop but sometimes I forget. My day may come!
    Always always check. Put a padlock on it. We had ours pulled at a rest stop. So when we dropped the trailer it was at 60 mph. No one was hurt, which would not have been the case had the trailer gone left across 3 lanes of traffic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2hams View Post
    Always always check. Put a padlock on it. We had ours pulled at a rest stop.
    I'm really glad this keeps coming up. It's a GREAT reminder. Who would have thought that kind of behavior was a thing we have to worry about!!!????
    Tom and Kathy
    Fort Collins, CO
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2016 RAM 2500, 6.7 Turbo Diesel,
    Crew Cab, Standard Bed, Hitch Prep
    B&W Companion Hitch

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't own a hitch that couldn't be locked shut. I still check it when I've left the rig unattended for any amount of time. If you don't, and you're lucky, it comes off when you first pull away... Unfortunately, it's the world we live in...
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieline View Post
    Been doing this a while but got bit today. Took the trailer in to have state inspection completed. I was planning on dropping trailer off and then picking up later in the day. Started to unhook going though my routine. First step is to relieve tension and pull the release handle. Next went to lower landing gear. Only one was going down. found a sheared bolt on the shaft (not sure how it happened). Then the mechanic said he could get it done right away, Thought it over a minute and decided to have him do it. He said to pull up to the other building. Made sure everything was set, jumped in the truck and started off. Yep, did not close the pin latch. Trailer fell on tailgate. After some help got reattached and inspected. Mechanic help me get the tailgate off so I wouldn't have to deal with that at home.
    Not too much damage to trailer, some molding, scratches. Need a new tailgate. Leaving next week for VA.

Going to use this in a safety meeting at work about changing directions in the middle of the process and not making sure everything is safe and latched.
    I’m surprised you could even pull the release handle with the fiver weight on the hitch. You might want to modify your procedure - put the front jacks down and raise the trailer slightly off the hitch (maybe 1/2” gap between the pin box and hitch plates), then unlock the safety latch, then pull the handle. When done in this order, you can’t possibly drop the rig. Just a suggestion and the way I do it.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with the comments above about dropping landing gear first; it does surprise me that it was even possible to pull the handle with the weight on the hitch.

The comments about the need to use a lock instead of the pin are really scary. Thinking one of the type with the 4 digit combinations so I don't have to keep up with a key.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
    Agree with the comments above about dropping landing gear first; it does surprise me that it was even possible to pull the handle with the weight on the hitch.

The comments about the need to use a lock instead of the pin are really scary. Thinking one of the type with the 4 digit combinations so I don't have to keep up with a key.

I use a regular keyed padlock on my hitch. If you have the Grand Design (Bauer) Keyed Alike system, Bauer now sells padlocks the will match your other locks - you just order directly from them using your key number.

If you use a Master Lock with a thicker hasp, I suggest that you insert it with the keyhole facing upwards. The lock hasp is too thick to allow turning it in the safety hole on the hitch and it's very difficult getting the key in from the bottom.

Never used a combo lock for this purpose but it seems it would be a pain in heavy rain or in darkness.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you hold the trailer brake control and then move back a slight bit it will relieve tension on the hitch which allows the handle to be pulled.
    I have modified my procedure to drop the landing gear first before I pull the handle but I still relieve the tension as I stated.
    On our recent trip to Virginia I always check the handle during our stops. Kind of scary to think someone would walk by and pull the handle. Probably going to start locking as mentioned.
    D & J
    2016 Reflection 337RLS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast