User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Pulling the release handle first in a series of steps makes about as much sense as chocking last.
    This is just bad procedure, simple as that. I never pull the safety till the tailgate, chocks and front landing gear are down.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess I wrote it wrong but the trailer being chocked is one of the first things done. I left out numerous items that are done before I pulled the handle. Everyone has steps they do to hitch and un hitch. None that are wrong just the order folks do things.
    The main point to me bringing this forward is that if your routine is interrupted you have to take extra precaution to ensure everything is back to the correct state. Don’t overlook anything and maybe start at the beginning of our process.
    D & J
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2014 F350, 6.7, Anderson Ultimate

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieline View Post
    Guess I wrote it wrong but the trailer being chocked is one of the first things done. I left out numerous items that are done before I pulled the handle. Everyone has steps they do to hitch and un hitch. None that are wrong just the order folks do things.
    The main point to me bringing this forward is that if your routine is interrupted you have to take extra precaution to ensure everything is back to the correct state. Don’t overlook anything and maybe start at the beginning of our process.
    Some folks are a little more direct in their comments but I think there are a couple of lessons to be learned. First, as you state, it is important to follow a procedure and restart at the beginning when interrupted, because when anyone's procedure is interrupted, you lose the flow. Personally, I use a physical checklist - a small clipboard with a printed checklist on it and I check off each step with a pencil and I've hitched/unhitched dozens (hundreds?) of times. I figure it is being a bit anal but then again, there's a reason that pilots use them.

Second, it is great that you shared your experience so others could learn. I think the point a previous poster made was very direct but right on the money. It simply is not safe to disengage the handle prior to the front jacks being down, under any scenario. That part of your routine should be changed. I think it is important that this point is clearly stated.

Finally, I realize this may be hijacking the thread a little, but we seem to be dwelling on a mistake instead of learning from it. Regarding the numerous comments about chocks, here's a shocker for everyone. On flat, level pads, I don't use chocks at all. If tons of downward pressure on the jacks (with hard rubber Snap Pads on them) won't hold this thing securely, what's a chock going to do for me? Any engineers out there care to calculate how much weight is on the pads (per square inch). Nothing is going to cause them to slide across the asphalt or concrete. Of course, if the site is gravel or off level, out come the chocks. And that's my procedure.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BigGuy82 - There are times I don't use chocks either. Level pad with the auto-leveler jacks down I don't see much need for them.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was told the story of by a guy stopping at Flying J and went in and had lunch. He came out and jumped in the truck and started to pull away and 5er fell on the truck bed. He looked over and there a car full of teens laughing and had their cell phones out filming the event. He said he couldn't get the plate number and the kids were never caught. He looked for months on YouTube and Facebook but never found the video.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We probably could have quite a discussion on what we do and when but don't want to go there. I have adjusted what I do but the main focus is not to be interrupted and complete the process.
    I like that you have a written procedure on a clip board. reminds me of my day in the service working on aircraft. Don't do anything with out the book open to exactly what you are doing.
    D & J
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2014 F350, 6.7, Anderson Ultimate

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234