User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailer fell on tailgate

Been doing this a while but got bit today. Took the trailer in to have state inspection completed. I was planning on dropping trailer off and then picking up later in the day. Started to unhook going though my routine. First step is to relieve tension and pull the release handle. Next went to lower landing gear. Only one was going down. found a sheared bolt on the shaft (not sure how it happened). Then the mechanic said he could get it done right away, Thought it over a minute and decided to have him do it. He said to pull up to the other building. Made sure everything was set, jumped in the truck and started off. Yep, did not close the pin latch. Trailer fell on tailgate. After some help got reattached and inspected. Mechanic help me get the tailgate off so I wouldn't have to deal with that at home.
    Not too much damage to trailer, some molding, scratches. Need a new tailgate. Leaving next week for VA.

Going to use this in a safety meeting at work about changing directions in the middle of the process and not making sure everything is safe and latched.
    D & J
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2014 F350, 6.7, Anderson Ultimate

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. Tough break!! Thanks for sharing - hope all goes well taking care of truck and RV.
    I've had the disturbing thought of that happening to me ever since we got ours.
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS
    2014 RAM 3500 SB SRW Turbo Diesel

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieline View Post
    Going to use this in a safety meeting at work about changing directions in the middle of the process and not making sure everything is safe and latched.
    I had a boss that liked to say incidents are caused because something was "dumb, different, or dangerous". In this case, the "different" is what got you. Glad no one was hurt.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Been there, done that and have the merit badge. So sorry to hear it. But now you might consider getting one of those fancy tailgates with the vee notch in it. That's what I did a few years ago when it happened to me. And it was MUCH cheaper than a factory tailgate.

Jim
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 08-14-2018 at 09:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Started to unhook going through my routine. First step is to relieve tension and pull the release handle. Next went to lower landing gear."

Jamieline- not understanding why you pull the release handle as your first step in unhitching. I always lower the landing gear first to raise the trailer off the hitch. Then relieve the tension on the king pin and pull the release handle. Doing it in this order would have kept the trailer from dropping onto your tailgate.
    Barb and Blair, retired and loving it
    2017 F250 Lariat Super Cab, Short bed, 4x4, diesel, Tow Technology Bundle, Pullrite 16K Autoslide
    2017 Reflection 307MKS, 3/17 Build
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beats dropping it on the side bed rails. Now is your chance to buy that flow through 5th wheel tail gate
    2007 Volvo 780 VNL Trailersaver Hitch
    2017 Momentum 397th
    2015 Polaris RZR 900S Voodoo Blue
    2017 Polaris RZR S1000 Matte Black
    2019 Polaris RZR S1000 Titanium Matte
    3 Yamaha Banshee's 2-Honda 400 EX's
    Honda 250EX 2016 Polaris Outlaw 110 EFI

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmillsbl View Post
    "Started to unhook going through my routine. First step is to relieve tension and pull the release handle. Next went to lower landing gear."

Jamieline- not understanding why you pull the release handle as your first step in unhitching. I always lower the landing gear first to raise the trailer off the hitch. Then relieve the tension on the king pin and pull the release handle. Doing it in this order would have kept the trailer from dropping onto your tailgate.
    I'm on the same page as cmillsbl, why would you pull the release with the weight still being on the hitch? Even if I wanted to, my hitch will not release unless I get all the weight off of it.

Everyone has their own method, but what I do:
    - once trailer is in desired spot, place truck in neutral and let off brake for a moment (this centers king pin in hitch) place back in park
    - chock wheels
    - lower front landing gear until weight is off hitch
    - unlock and pull release handle
    - move truck

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only dinged my OEM tailgate so I was able to fix it but with the new 5th wheel tailgate I don't have to put it down when I hitch/unhitch plus it's a whole lot cheaper if I tear it up. The OEM gate is now safely stored.

Steve and Peggy
    Based in beautiful East Tennessee
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4 CTD

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I'm on the same page as cmillsbl, why would you pull the release with the weight still being on the hitch? Even if I wanted to, my hitch will not release unless I get all the weight off of it.

Everyone has their own method, but what I do:
    - once trailer is in desired spot, place truck in neutral and let off brake for a moment (this centers king pin in hitch) place back in park
    - chock wheels
    - lower front landing gear until weight is off hitch
    - unlock and pull release handle
    - move truck

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    X-2......This is exactly how I do it. I really can't imagine someone releasing the hitch before supporting the trailer. Not a good practice IMHO
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carlson Stromberg has a lot of these on the road: https://www.strombergcarlson.com/pro...eel-tailgates/

The 4000 series is an excellent tailgate, lockable, and has a filler piece for the vee when not towing. Sold separately.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast