User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently my truck and TT are up in Montana. I won't be back up there until late Sept.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw the title to this thread and Rodney just popped into my head.

Welcome to the forum!
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richp123 View Post
    Traded our 16' Bambi A/S in for a 297RSTS GD TT. Went from Bambi weighing in at 2800 LBS to the Reflection weighing in at 7700 LBS dry. My tow vehicle is a 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali, 6.0 V8, 140,000 miles. Im feeling very insecure about my 1/2 ton pulling this trailer. I towed it 2 1/2 hours home with no issues. Actually felt smoother than the A/S due to the weight difference. Am I asking for trouble with this set up?
    Richl123,

I have the 297RSTS, and was towing with an F250. Prior to that I was towing a bit lighter trailer with an F150. Both we’re okay, and the 3/4 ton was good, but when in windy cross winds the heavier the truck and the better the hitch the more comfortable you will be. I recently purchased a side by side ATV which will be in the rear of my truck while towing, so we upgraded to a one ton F350. I had my first tow with trailer and lots of stuff in bed (not ATV) and I can tell you the ride was awesome. We got the Crew Cab and Long wheel base though with the diesel, so that also helps. If you change trucks, spend a little more and get a one ton and you will be set. I would hate to pull these larger trailers without a diesel brake if your doing hills.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, Taking all the feedback received on this thread the consensus is for my family's safety along with the safety of others on the road I need to upgrade to a 3/4 or 1 ton tow vehicle. I have two 3/4 ton trucks that Im looking at, the question is 2015 Duramax (88K mileage) vs. 2016 Powerstroke (42K)?

Any feedback on the Duramax vs. Powerstroke?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure others will tell you but the difference in price is negligible compared to the difference in performance by going to a 1-ton. I was recently considering a new truck and knowing what I know now, it would definitely be a 1-ton if I had to do it all over.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2015 Duramax 47000 miles, has been good so far. Hope I did not jinx myself.
    They are all good when they work and junk when they don't.
    You will get plenty of pros and cons and ultimately have to choose for yourself.

Good luck.

Brian

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Traded our 16' Bambi A/S in for a 297RSTS GD TT. Went from Bambi weighing in at 2800 LBS to the Reflection weighing in at 7700 LBS dry. My tow vehicle is a 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali, 6.0 V8, 140,000 miles. Im feeling very insecure about my 1/2 ton pulling this trailer. I towed it 2 1/2 hours home with no issues. Actually felt smoother than the A/S due to the weight difference. Am I asking for trouble with this set up?
    The biggest concern you should have with this half ton setup are the truck Brakes, they are nowhere near powerful enough to handle a grade and you should not rely on the trailer brakes as they will fade very quickly if you lean on them too hard. One good 6% down grade and you will be running to your nearest truck dealer and getting something with much more substantial braking system and subsequently heavier truck to manage the bit of sway you will always get from a TT. That trailer will be weighing in at 9K before you know it, a half ton is not up to that task especially with a TT. Get enough truck to tow what you have now safely and what you will be towing in the future so you don't have to upgrade again if you go heavier next time, oh, and there will be a next time, trust me......

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, Taking all the feedback received on this thread the consensus is for my family's safety along with the safety of others on the road I need to upgrade to a 3/4 or 1 ton tow vehicle. I have two 3/4 ton trucks that Im looking at, the question is 2015 Duramax (88K mileage) vs. 2016 Powerstroke (42K)?

Any feedback on the Duramax vs. Powerstroke?
    I agree with Jim1521. With that wide-open bed you'll be tempted to bring more "stuff", or put a toolbox there, or whatever. Running the real-world numbers you'll be surprised how quickly you'll run out of payload with a 250 and the 297RSTS. If you're springing for a new (used) truck, consider a 1 ton (aka "350" or "3500").

Duramax vs Powerstroke? Both are excellent engines--my FIL has the Duramax and it is a magnificent truck. I have a Powerstroke but not due to the engine--it was a combination of features and the payload number. Get what you like the best but most importantly VERIFY THE PAYLOAD by looking at the doorjamb sticker!
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good advice - especially getting a ton rather than 3/4. Even the SRW had a bigger axle, brakes, etc. Just a little more truck and the day will come that you'll need it.

Not a lot of difference between the Ford or Chevy engines, but the other day I pulled up to the diesel pump and there was a Duramax on the other side. The guy on the other side looked around the pump and said he had to check that I was at the right pump because it didn't sound like a diesel. The new Powerstoke engines don't have that macho diesel rattle - which is fine with me as I don't have to turn the engine off to order in the drivethrough lane.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the most part, the traditional diesel rattle disappeared in 2003-2004 with the introduction of Common Rail Injection where the fuel injection timing is computer controlled by the ECM instead of being controlled by the (very noisy) mechanical fuel injection pumps in prior designs. I suppose that some brands were still noisier/quieter than others for a while.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast