User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    All good advice - especially getting a ton rather than 3/4. Even the SRW had a bigger axle, brakes, etc. Just a little more truck and the day will come that you'll need it.

Not a lot of difference between the Ford or Chevy engines, but the other day I pulled up to the diesel pump and there was a Duramax on the other side. The guy on the other side looked around the pump and said he had to check that I was at the right pump because it didn't sound like a diesel. The new Powerstoke engines don't have that macho diesel rattle - which is fine with me as I don't have to turn the engine off to order in the drivethrough lane.
    I have heard this said quite a few times here about a 1 ton having bigger brakes and axles. In the case of later model GM products, they do not. The 3/4 ton Duramax and 1 ton Duramax use exactly the same brakes and axles. A 3/4 ton gasser uses a smaller rear axle.

That said, go 1 ton if you can for the higher payload rating.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    I have heard this said quite a few times here about a 1 ton having bigger brakes and axles. In the case of later model GM products, they do not. The 3/4 ton Duramax and 1 ton Duramax use exactly the same brakes and axles. A 3/4 ton gasser uses a smaller rear axle.

Yep, no difference besides the springs and tires on SRW and the axle is a tad wider on DRW and the extra tires but the very same axle. Powertrains and brakes are the same. These conversations are counterproductive in so many ways. The first thing you should look at is the GCWR. Obviously, one should never exceed that and if your axles are over, you are doing something else wrong. That yellow sticker means nothing in the scheme of things...except to the sticker police. There is sooo little difference between 3/4 and 1 ton trucks in SRW configuration. That said, I just went in with a buddy and bought a wrecked 3500 dually. He needs my narrower axle and I can buy fenders to cover dual wheels on my CCSB. Bet that is gonna really rile the sticker guys up...LOL
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post

Another reason to go Ford. [Grin]

Seriously, the F350 axle, tires & springs are substantially upgraded from the F250 (which is pretty stout to begin with). I went from a F250 to F350 and only gained about 250 # on the yellow sticker payload, (because it is derated on paper for licensing purposes) but the rear axle rating was nearly 1000 # greater and that's where it counts for a fiver.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in the same boat with a similar truck. Bought a 2018 GMC 1500 All Terrain-X in January of this year. Two months ago we bought our first TT and got the 297RSTS. I thought I'd be fine with a Equalizer 1200/12000 WD hitch. Then I started adding up the weight! A week after pulling the TT home I traded in the 1500 for a 2016 Denali 2500 HD with the Duramax with 20k on it. Wasn't even broken in! I did a lot of homework before pulling the trigger. The LML engine came out in 2011 so by 2015 they worked all the issues out of them! I thought about getting new but they haven't cracked the new L5P engines and most people think they won't so if you want to do the delete later on you can't. Towing through the Adirondacks I set the cruise, turned on trailer mode, and set the exhaust brake and I didn't even know the TT was behind me! Brakes never engaged till I actually needed to stop fully!

Trucks are like religions, everyone thinks their right about theirs! I used to be a Ford guy. I still love their Super Duty gassers. And Ram is has the Cummins which is about all they have going for them. But no one puts an Allison tranny behind them like GM does. It makes all the difference in my opinion. Get the Duramax. You won't regret it. (Except the maintenance costs for diesels. You'll regret that part! [emoji12])

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123