Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Annual mileage fulltiming?

I know the question is somewhat subjective, but looking for an annual average because we're considering an extended warranty on our new F350. I'm not completely sold on it, but SO thinks it's a good idea.

Thanks!

Ken and Diane

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have an extended warranty on my '16 F350 6.7L diesel. I don't full time, but I have 35K miles part timing in two years. The cost of engine repairs on these diesel units can add up fast.

Jim

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've been on the road full-time for 4 years. Our 2014 F350 6.7L DRW now has 62,000 miles, 35,000 of which is actual towing.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little under 9,000/year on the truck over three years - all of it towing. We have a car we use for running around, day tripping, etc., so the miles on the truck are all towing. We also have an "extended warranty" on the truck. ("Extended warranty" is in quotes because they're not really warranties but insurance policies.)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Average around 8000 a year. Some years more, some less but pretty close.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not a good record keeper. Just never saw the point, so, my answer to your question is going to be ball park at best. As far as I can remember we bought our 2013 Silverado in 2015 and it had 25,000 to 30,000 miles on it. I was looking at the odometer today and we are in the 98,0000 mile area. 28 to 98 is 70,000 miles, 15-18 is 3, or about 23,000 miles per year.

Now keep in mind, this is our primary vehicle. We will make a couple of 3000-4000 mile runs about 3 times a year (10,000-12,000), the rest is local driving.

Now to further confuse you think about oil changes every 5000 miles. I spend extra to have authorized Chevrolet Dealers Service my truck. About $3000 a year. Yes, I get extra oil changes, and extra transmission services, and pay the guys to change my oil and fuel filter and buy new tires before the old ones are completely worn out.

And I pay for an extended service warranty that I have yet to use.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Don't get an extended warranty and you blow and engine $13,000. Get the extended warranty that would cover it but don't ever have a problem $1000 a year wasted. Then if you do buy the extended warranty and pay the $1000 buck you have to worry about them covering the loss. Lots of exclusions.

There is not a correct answer here, only a decision to be made.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, as a side question you are full-timing and bring a car as well?
    Are plan is to full time in a few years and this may come into play.

Jim
    D & J
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2014 F350, 6.7, Anderson Ultimate

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Annual mileage fulltiming?

We’ve been full time for 4 months and only drive 3 hours per travel day. We average 4 days at each location, yet we’ve towed our rig about 2,000 miles so far, so average of 6,000 per year at the current rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are full time, truck is 3 years old and has 60,000 miles. We are running at the 10,000 miles a year towing.
    Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieline View Post
    Rob, as a side question you are full-timing and bring a car as well?
    Are plan is to full time in a few years and this may come into play.

Jim
    Jim,

Just FYI - if you "Reply With Quote" (bottom right of each post as I've done with your question), the person you are trying to interact with will be notified they've been quoted and will notice faster... at least I will.

In answer to your question, yes - my wife follows along in a Honda CR-V on travel days. When we started out we had a Corolla that was paid for. We asked on both the Escapees and RV-Dreams forums (both heavily full-time oriented) and about half of those who full-time in a fifth wheel have a second vehicle. Most of those who responded - even though they don't have a second vehicle - suggested we try it for a year since we already had the car. If it didn't work for us, we could always sell the car. Now, after three years, we love doing it this way. A long bed CC DRW truck is not the most nimble in parking lots designed for cars, on National Park roads beyond the campgrounds, or in places like downtown Baltimore or San Diego where we have family. We don't travel more than 3 - 4 hours a day on travel days and my wife likes to listen to audio books or her music. Though I enjoy audio books and we have about an 85% overlap in music tastes, I don't like anything on in the truck cab anywhere near big cities, on I-95, etc. She also thinks I keep the cab "too cold." Having the car also gives her independence when we're staying somewhere for a longer period (like we are now at Aberdeen Proving Ground waiting on the birth of grandbaby #13 ). She doesn't drive the truck, so the car enables her to hop in and go to the athletic center on post for yoga, etc. No two couples are alike, but this approach works for us.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast