User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Selt Belt Tether

Fran and I took our two dogs on their first camping trip last weekend. On the ride up to Georgia the Pomeranian ("Little Princess") had a lot of anxiety. Both her and Brody (a poodle) were loose in the back seat and I wasn't happy that they'd become missiles if we got into an accident. I also didn't like that they could potentially get out of the vehicle when a door was opened, and because of the seat protector (which forms a "hammock" in the back) the dogs would occasionally try to jump into the front seat while we were moving.

While walking through Camping World I spotted seat belt tethers and bought two. The trip home was much more relaxed. The Pom still complained on occasion, but much less than previously. Stopping at rest areas and opening the doors was less tense, too, as the dogs could not jump out even if they wanted to. Very pleased with the purchase.

https://www.campingworld.com/pet-seat-belt-tether

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tether.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	14521
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also use those tethers and they work great for the most part used along with a harness (hooking to collar can hurt the dog if fast braking occurs)....that is until Koda seems to have learned if he steps on the catch latch he can be freed. It was likely an accidental thing the first time or 2 but as time goes by he gets free more times than we'd like to see. Having a dog that "learns" can be a challenge. I have to devise some sort of cover for the buckle so it can't be released. You can also find those tethers on amazon.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    x2 on Marcy’s recommendation that the seat belt harness should be secured to a full harness rather than a neck collar. We specifically chose a truck where the rear seat folds up against the back wall so that our dogs would have a low solid completely flat floor. We don’t use tethers, but the few times that we have required emergency braking, the dogs have ended up safely squished against the lower backs of the front seats.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    We also use those tethers and they work great for the most part used along with a harness (hooking to collar can hurt the dog if fast braking occurs)....that is until Koda seems to have learned if he steps on the catch latch he can be freed. It was likely an accidental thing the first time or 2 but as time goes by he gets free more times than we'd like to see. Having a dog that "learns" can be a challenge. I have to devise some sort of cover for the buckle so it can't be released. You can also find those tethers on amazon.
    Smart dog, that Koda! I don't think I have to worry about mine being that smart. Both Little P and Brody will bolt when they see a squirrel or rabbit and neither have figured out there's an end to the leash. That's just one reason they have full harness' instead of collars.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Having a dog that "learns" can be a challenge.
    LOL . . . this can be a problem. Molly and Angel are Border Collies. Lately we have been “dog sitting” a son’s two Aussies. The things those four teach each other . . . I can’t keep up

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my Opinion the tether and harness is the best way to transport any pet. Having the fold down seat is fine in a hard braking situation but in a true accident the pets can easily launch right over the seat and hit either the front seat passengers or the windshield, neither one of which would be good. A pet crate would be a second choice for me as the crate can be tied down but the pet can still be tossed around inside it. loose pets inside a vehicle, especially when they are clambering over and around the driver and passengers give me the Heebie Jeebies.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have 4 dogs that ride in the rear seat of the truck. Not only are they family but we compete with our dogs too. We have been using the Roadie Safety Harness (https://ruffrider.com/about-us/roadie-safety-harness/) for years. The harnesses fasten into the seatbelt system for three of the dogs and the fourth is positioned on the flat floor and tethered to the front seat frame. Our challenge was finding the harness system that could accommodate our breed (Whippet) due to the deep chest and narrow waist.

Those sudden stops keep them safe in their place without the risk of becoming missiles to their humans. We made a small modification to the connection to the seatbelts using carabiners and a custom loop made with automotive seatbelt looping.
    Barb, Lyle and the 3 four-legged kids
    2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Selt Belt Tether

I’d just like to say Thank You to all you folks that are smart enough and considerate enough to use harnesses for your pets!

I cringe every time I see someone driving down the highway at 75 mph with Fluffy on their lap or a couple of Fluffies laying on the dash.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Harness and tether is the way to go for 2 Cocker Spaniels. They completely relax, and therefore we relax, when they are tethered. A big bonus is we can open the doors without them attempting to escape.
    John, Heidi and our 2 Cocker Spaniels Venus & Big Papi
    2016 Relfection 30BH 5th wheel
    2016 F350 SRW CC SB 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    Pullrite Superglide with Superrails

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One cool thing we found while using Harness and tethers is when we stop to eat, we dont find the dogs on the dash or in the front seat when we return. Yes we are very careful about heat in the car/truck

You MUST use a harness and not a collar, they can HANG themselves with a collar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast