User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mounting Pitbull motorcycle trailer restraint in 351M - trying to find where to drill

Here's some context for what I want to put into the trailer

So I want to mount the above system into my trailer. Actually, it'd be great to mount 3 of them to be honest, but Im starting with just one. I want to mount the first one in the center, eventually adding 2 more to the rear left and rear right of the original, but that is down the line.

My question is: I got underneath the trailer not long ago, and noticed a layer of...uh...plastic or something? That covers the floor underneath. Obviously, I need to be able to get to the underside to actually thread the nuts on, never mind see what is actually under there blocking my way (fuel tanks, water tanks, whatever...).

Is this plastic easily removed temporarily? Anyone ever mount this setup before and have pictures?

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The plastic is called coroplast, and it's pretty easy to remove. Just remove the hex head screws holding it in place. The tough part is getting it back up when you're done. But there is a trick which makes it much easier.

Use a 2x4 that you've cut a few inches wider than the frame rails. Use two C-clamps and the 2x4 to clamp the coroplast to the frame while you screw it back in place. Work in small sections and move the 2x4 and clamps as needed.

Jim

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    The plastic is called coroplast, and it's pretty easy to remove. Just remove the hex head screws holding it in place. The tough part is getting it back up when you're done. But there is a trick which makes it much easier.

Use a 2x4 that you've cut a few inches wider than the frame rails. Use two C-clamps and the 2x4 to clamp the coroplast to the frame while you screw it back in place. Work in small sections and move the 2x4 and clamps as needed.

Jim
    Hmpf, somehow I missed your response. I'm guessing because you didnt quote me lol.

OK, so that answers the question regarding the coroplast. Next issue is going to be the dang fuel tanks. I have a hunch I'm going to need to drill above there....it MIGHT not be a problem, as I'm drilling from the top. I just need enough room to worm a hand/wrench up there with a nut and washer, and get it started onto the bolt...maybe not so bad?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used Toggler Snaptoggle anchors http://www.toggler.com/products/snaptoggle/overview.php to install L-track and a wheel chock in my little toy hauler. Someone suggested them and they actually worked pretty good.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foothills Jim View Post
    I used Toggler Snaptoggle anchors http://www.toggler.com/products/snaptoggle/overview.php to install L-track and a wheel chock in my little toy hauler. Someone suggested them and they actually worked pretty good.
    Yeah man, I strongly recommend looking into the Pitbull Trailer Restraint system. Requires no straps, no wheel chocks, nothing. It's infinitely easier than any wheel chock setup.

Anyway, I got it figured out in the end. Someone at the factory saw fit to mount the rear-most piece of coroplast up with freaking nails instead of self-tapping screws. It made it infinitely harder to get them out enough to see/feel up under there. I'll share pictures when I actually use it next week.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyBobo View Post
    Yeah man, I strongly recommend looking into the Pitbull Trailer Restraint system. Requires no straps, no wheel chocks, nothing. It's infinitely easier than any wheel chock setup.

Anyway, I got it figured out in the end. Someone at the factory saw fit to mount the rear-most piece of coroplast up with freaking nails instead of self-tapping screws. It made it infinitely harder to get them out enough to see/feel up under there. I'll share pictures when I actually use it next week.
    Did you ever get around to taking pics of your install? I am wanting to do the same in my 349m.
    My problem is the fuel tanks are in the way of getting through the coroplast.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    Did you ever get around to taking pics of your install? I am wanting to do the same in my 349m.
    Hey man, I havent forgotten this post. My trailer is just getting some warranty work done right now, and when I get it back Ill snap some pics for ya!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    So yeah. It took until a couple weeks ago to get my trailer back. Lets just say it was about 4 months longer than it was projected to be...

Im actually taking it out tomorrow with my bike! Ill grab pictures for you!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As promised! Hope this helps at all...

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyBobo View Post
    Here's some context for what I want to put into the trailer

So I want to mount the above system into my trailer. Actually, it'd be great to mount 3 of them to be honest, but Im starting with just one. I want to mount the first one in the center, eventually adding 2 more to the rear left and rear right of the original, but that is down the line.

My question is: I got underneath the trailer not long ago, and noticed a layer of...uh...plastic or something? That covers the floor underneath. Obviously, I need to be able to get to the underside to actually thread the nuts on, never mind see what is actually under there blocking my way (fuel tanks, water tanks, whatever...).

Is this plastic easily removed temporarily? Anyone ever mount this setup before and have pictures?
    Give GD customer service a call and tell them what you are doing. They may be able to email you a sketch of the floor supports and advise on clearance to any tanks and electrical, etc..
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast