User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coax for Satellite

where does everyone run the coax cable and how di they hook up a satellite dome portable
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 08-17-2018 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Title Change

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mayercc View Post
    where does everyone run the coax cable and how di they hook up a satellite dome portable
    Since this is your first post let me first welcome you to the forum.

With the multitude of Grand Design models (plus the changes over the years) may I suggest adding your year and model of trailer to your question? Look at my signature block as an example of what you might want to add.

Again, welcome!
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mayercc View Post
    Welcome.

- You might get better results posting your question in the Electronics sub-forum rather than the Electrical sub-forum you've used.

- Instead of using your username as the title, use a title that describes your question such as "How to hook up a portable satellite dome?"

- As @howson has said, it's best to indicate what trailer you're talking about... GD has many different setups.

Hope all this direction doesn't discourage you - it's meant to help you get the help you need. I don't know much about the satellite network in the trailer myself, so I can't even guess for you.

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Since this is your first post let me first welcome you to the forum.

With the multitude of Grand Design models (plus the changes over the years) may I suggest adding your year and model of trailer to your question? Look at my signature block as an example of what you might want to add.

Again, welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Welcome.

- You might get better results posting your question in the Electronics sub-forum rather than the Electrical sub-forum you've used.

- Instead of using your username as the title, use a title that describes your question such as "How to hook up a portable satellite dome?"

- As @howson has said, it's best to indicate what trailer you're talking about... GD has many different setups.

Hope all this direction doesn't discourage you - it's meant to help you get the help you need. I don't know much about the satellite network in the trailer myself, so I can't even guess for you.

Good luck.
    You guys are good! This forum is becoming “self-moderating” .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Moved thread and edited title.

Jim

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is what I did in my 303. The sat system signal doesn't like going through splitters, it wants a cable straight to the dish from the box. I have Dish Networks (Wally and Playmaker antenna). A couple of negatives for the GD rigs is they don't tighten the cable connections and use inexpensive cable/connectors, etc.
    Sooo my TV and sat box (Wally) is in my slide above the fireplace. I took out the fireplace, drilled a hole in the floor of the slide on the far outboard side and ran a new high quality RJ6 cable from the Wally location in the cabinet through there, sealed the hole and installed a new connection in the lower skirt in the side near the wheel well. So now I only have one connection between my antenna and the Wally. Now I don't have any issues getting connected.

Chuck

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a DirecTV Genie receiver and I ran my roof mounted dish cable to the SAT input at the water control panel. I then connect my receiver to the connector in the cupboard above the fireplace. Mine works fine using the Grand Design splitters and wiring. Maybe some systems are more sensitive than others?
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I have a DirecTV Genie receiver and I ran my roof mounted dish cable to the SAT input at the water control panel. I then connect my receiver to the connector in the cupboard above the fireplace. Mine works fine using the Grand Design splitters and wiring. Maybe some systems are more sensitive than others?
    Winegard says that the cable for our Carryout G2 (portable dome) cannot be run through splitters, it has to go directly to the box that controls it.

One of the reasons is that the dome gets the electricity it needs to do it's automatic satellite-seeking functions through the same RG6 cable that carries the satellite signals; there's only the one cable running from the antenna. I believe it's magic.

After puzzling about how to do that in a new 310GK I believe that @Clsfly may have solved the challenge in his post above.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This what I used on the outside https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I also switched the connector to a 3 gHZ connector as recommended by Dish, it has a blue center, got them at Lowes.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did exactly as clsfly did except I stopped the cable at the slide manual crank hole and zip tied it to the hole. This is now my co-axial cable hook up point. Works great with my Playmaker and 211k receiver for Dish service.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast