User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Ford Superduty with plastic oil pan?

Well, I learned something new yesterday, and thought I'd share, in case some of you guys weren't in the loop either.
    The tech that changed my oil told me about how the early Superduty had a flawed design plastic oil pan and that most he'd seen had been replaced with the steel version, oh but not mine.
    At first I didn't believe him, because out of all the techs that have ever changed my oil, he was the first to share this info with me.

Excerpt from the article below.

"After the 6.7L Scorpion Motor was introduced in late 2010, it was hailed throughout the 2011 model year as an all-new and revolutionary diesel.
    While it was—and still is—an impressive engine, even with all the power of Ford behind the development, a few bugs needed to be worked out.

One of these bugs was an unfortunate leaking of oil from the new engine’s space-age composite oil pan. These oil pans had a new ¼-turn drain plug for the main sump, and experience showed that after a few oil changes, the pans began to leak. The result was nasty oil spots, whenever and wherever you parked your truck. Not cool—and quite messy—to say the least.

Ford engineers soon solved the problem on later model 6.7L engines, but, unfortunately, Ford never used a recall to fix the leak on those early engines.

Luckily, if you own an early 2011-12 Super Duty with a 6.7L that leaves a little oil to mark its parking spot, there is an easy fix: Ford’s solution was to go back to a stamped steel oil pan with a threaded drain plug. Now all of the latest 6.7Ls contain this old-school style pan, which proves that sometimes old school is still the best solution."

Article at DieselWorld
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oil pan is the last place I would want plastic/composite on an engine.
    That's the "what were they thinking?" when they came up with that idea.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. True story. They use plastic for intakes as well.

13+ got bigger brakes I believe.

15-16 got better turbo and HPFP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 379fls-r

2015 F250 FX4 6.7

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=DaveMatthewsBand;182751][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Calibri]Well, I learned something new yesterday, and thought I'd share, in case some of you guys weren't in the loop either.
    The tech that changed my oil told me about how the early Superduty had a flawed design plastic oil pan and that most he'd seen had been replaced with the steel version, oh but not mine.
    At first I didn't believe him, because out of all the techs that have ever changed my oil, he was the first to share this info with me.
    [B]

Knocking on wood here. 102,000 miles on my 2011. My oil leak was from the vacuum pump. So far the plastic oil pan is holding up.

Always good to follow the ford diesel forums.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=GeoffnCheri;182822]
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Calibri]Well, I learned something new yesterday, and thought I'd share, in case some of you guys weren't in the loop either.
    [B]

Knocking on wood here. 102,000 miles on my 2011. My oil leak was from the vacuum pump. So far the plastic oil pan is holding up.

Always good to follow the ford diesel forums.
    Agreed!

However I would get rid of that plastic pan ASAP! All it takes is running over something unavoidable in the road and putting a hole in it and your either stranded, or buying a new engine for $8k...

2015 F250 FX4 6.7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Ford service dept advised me after my last oil change (@25K) that they noticed a tiny oil leak and wanted me to bring it back for further testing. They determined (after injecting a dye into the oil) that there was a manufacturing defect in the steel pan. They replaced both the upper and lower pans and associated hardware under warranty. I was thankful they pointed this out rather than waiting for it to become a bigger problem.
    Barb and Blair, retired and loving it
    2017 F250 Lariat Super Cab, Short bed, 4x4, diesel, Tow Technology Bundle, Pullrite 16K Autoslide
    2017 Reflection 307MKS, 3/17 Build
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noticed mine had a small leak on it as well when I was installing my shocks a couple weeks ago. Dropped it off at the shop, and they are resealing the oil pan on it. Just an FYI for you guys to check them.

2015 F250 FX4 6.7

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my 2011 6.2 my rocker covers were Aluminium with " Powered by Ford" It looked great except I was unable to go in there without remove have the components on top to make them all shiny shiny. My 2016 6.2 are plastic. Guess what I don't cause and don't feel as bad. I am pretty sure I have metal oil pan but I have not run enough miles for an oil change yet.
    2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty XLT CCSB 4x4 6.2 gasser 3.73 E locker
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 285BHS