User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Years ago I had an HA and towed an SOB TT with it using two different trucks. 1st truck was a 2010 F150 OEM brake controller. Zero bump.
    2nd truck was a 2012 Ram 2500 Cummins. Had bumps often. The reason I had bumps was from using the exhaust brake and then applying the trucks brakes. It would set up that spot where the HA was sorta floating between being drag vs catching up to the truck.
    An example would be exiting a freeway and lifting off the gas pedal and having the EB do the slowing down. As I got closer to the intersection I would need to apply the brakes to stop. Thats when the bump would happen. Same scenario in slower curves. I was also using a P# with the truck as the OEM TBC was terrible. Love the hitch, hated the bump.
    Once in a while it would spook me a bit.
    I am wondering if Ford made changes to the stock controller between your 2010 and my 2015. I have had a lot of others with Ford trucks that are a little older state they have never had an issue. I think your bump with your exhaust braking is the same thing I experienced in the hills around the Smoky Mountains. The truck was using engine and transmission braking to keep the truck from gaining speed going down hill. Then a truck would blow by me and I would get a bump. I also noticed it if I had to apply the truck brakes to help the transmission. I think the trailer would pivot the head going downhill and cause slack in the system, then the trucks going by would cause the hitch to shift the other direction as the truck blew the trailer sideways. Or, when I applied the truck brakes it would cause the bump as the slack would be taken out. I prevented it on the way home by every now and then I would lightly apply the trailer brakes when I was going down hill just to keep the slack out. It seemed to work because I had no issues on the way home and it was very windy that day.

Dale
    Dale & Tammy
    Retired U. S Army and Retired Helicopter Pilot
    2021 Ford F-350, 6.7L Diesel, 4x4, Lariat Ultimate
    2018 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK (sold)
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale G View Post
    I really think it is the Ford controller causing the problems. On the trip home I did not have any issues either at speed or at slow maneuver. I changed the way I was doing braking. At slow speeds I tried to slow down earlier so when the trailer brakes released at slow speeds I was not having to brake so hard with the truck. Of course this only works if you aren't surprised by a red light or some idiot pulling out in front of you. For going down hill at speeds when the truck was using engine and transmission to maintain speeds I would every now and then reach over and lightly apply the trailer brakes just until I felt a slight tug on the truck from the trailer. This seemed to help keep the slack out of the system and even with a 15MPH crosswind I never had an issue when trucks went by.

So I think all of my troubles are coming from the design of the Ford brake controller at slow speeds and engine braking when going down hills.

Dale
    Some good reading about the Ford Trailer Brake controller on "newer Ford trucks" here
    http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...G1692021&div=f

" If towing a heavier trailer, trailer wheel lock-up may not be attainable even with the maximum gain setting of 10.

AND Points to Remember

Note: Do not attempt removal of the trailer brake controller without consulting the Workshop Manual. Damage to the unit may result.
    --Adjust gain setting before using the trailer brake controller.
    Adjust gain setting, using the procedure above, whenever road, weather, trailer or vehicle loading conditions change from when the gain was initially set.

--Only use the manual control lever for proper adjustment of the gain during trailer setup. Misuse, such as application during trailer sway, could cause instability of trailer or tow vehicle.

--Avoid towing in adverse weather conditions. The trailer brake controller does not provide anti-lock control of the trailer wheels. Trailer wheels can lock up on slippery surfaces, resulting in reduced stability of trailer and tow vehicle.

--The trailer brake controller is equipped with a feature that reduces output at vehicle speeds below 11 mph (18 km/h) so trailer and vehicle braking is not jerky or harsh. This feature is only active when applying the brakes using your vehicle's brake pedal, not the controller.

--The controller interacts with the brake control system and powertrain control system of your vehicle to provide the best performance on different road conditions.

--Your vehicle's brake system and the trailer brake system work independently of each other. Changing the gain setting on the controller does not affect the operation of your vehicle's brakes.

--When you switch the engine off, the controller output is disabled and the display and module shut down.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale G View Post
    So I got the Propride Hitch set up where it has finally stopped my Imagine 2370MK from swaying, thanks to all of Sean’s help. But now I have a thump whenever I am maneuvering at slow speeds. It seems to be whenever I make a turn at slow speed then come to a stop, then when I take off it feels like it slides then reaches the end of its slop with a thump. In other words the truck starts moving first and not the trailer, then when trailer starts moving it has a very pronounced thump. Kind of the same effect as if you were towing something with a chain, when the slack comes out of the chain you get a thump as your load starts to move. I can’t seem to figure out what is causing it. I towed with the hitch numerous times and it never did this until the last two camping trips. If I was a betting man I would say the hitch gets out of alignment when you are maneuvering then when you take off the thump is when it slaps back in alignment behind the truck. But I don’t understand why it has just started.

Anyone else have this experience with this hitch, and if so how did you get rid of it? Is it something to be concerned with or just leave it alone?

Thanks,
    Dale
    Good afternoon sir,

Did you happen to read this post https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...239#post178239? Seems to be a similiar issue.
    U.S. Navy Retired
    Haz, Gin, CD, and CE

2020 Ford F450 Platinum
    2022 GDRV Solitude 378MBS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haznavy View Post
    Good afternoon sir,

Did you happen to read this post https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...239#post178239? Seems to be a similiar issue.
    Thanks, I will check those this spring when I do my wheel bearings.
    Dalwe

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorta sounds like your trailer brakes aren't activating soon enough or strong enough. They need to create drag so that the PP/HA will be in the pull phase and not the floating forward phase.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123