User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More Full Timing Articles in Sept TL Issue

Been reading up on Full Timing from multiple sources. Trying to get prepared for when we go FT in a year or two. you can never have too much information. Another article in TL from an 11 year FT veteran. One of the FTers was saying they couldn't get umbrella coverage for personal items coverage. We got $3000 personal effects coverage through Good Sam (National General). Isn't this the same thing? When we go full time we will bump up our coverage.

Most of the articles I've read over time cover about the same issues involved in FTing. It can be a great experience if you plan for it. The DW and I are eager to get going, getting our ducks in a row now for when the time comes. Downsizing our possessions will be a major undertaking. We have already started but hope to get there before we go FT.

We have worked at establishing an example budget, you can plan but things will change so I think it's important to be flexible. We just hope diesel fuel wont go through the roof if we plan on driving a lot. That could put a crimp in the budget.
    It is really getting crowded out there with record sales in RVs. One of the problems we face is finding an RV site up north close to our kids in Ind. & Ohio that stays open until at least through December. We would want to stay around the kids and grand kids at least through xmas. That is really tough, it can get cold and snowy up there in December. I think most of the RV sites have a problem with water pipes in the ground freezing, that is why they close early around October. Power shouldn't be much of a problem in cold or snow. They are building RV resorts and parks in record number also to accommodate the increase in RV sales but seems to be in select areas of good weather. Everybody wants to get out of Dodge when cold weather comes calling!

Maybe by the time we go FT they will have built some more places father up north that stay open longer, but I am not holding by breath.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steven,

Have you read the material about insurance Howard Payne has put up on the RV-Dreams.com web site? He's a former attorney and has been full-timing for quite a while. There's also an "Ask Howard" subforum on the RV-Dreams forums.

http://www.rv-dreams.com/rv-insurance.html

Rob

Edit/PS: Howard has also put up a lot of information on finances - including their own budget info.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Steven,

Have you read the material about insurance Howard Payne has put up on the RV-Dreams.com web site? He's a former attorney and has been full-timing for quite a while. There's also an "Ask Howard" subforum on the RV-Dreams forums.

http://www.rv-dreams.com/rv-insurance.html

Rob

Edit/PS: Howard has also put up a lot of information on finances - including their own budget info.
    Hey Rob, Yes i did read through it (thanks for the link) and have read similar articles like on the Escapees web site. We have thought about, and are going through right now, some of the things Howard talks about with regard to selling the home and getting rid of stuff, timelines and the like. I didn't buy his excel spreadsheets as I am an excel and access programmer myself (from another life) and that is what I use now for my part time business. I used to use QuickBooks.

With regard to vehicle insurance, well, everyone needs to assess their situation and select the coverage they think they need or can afford. Sometimes the waters get muddy when you start talking about individual things inside of an insurance policy. Could be I misread the TL article when they were talking about Umbrella and personal effects coverage as being the same thing since they placed those words together in the same sentence. In any event all good things to know when contemplating such a change in lifestyle.

Right now, I guess we still consider ourselves "weekenders" or "part timers" so we have coverage for each accident, pet protection, emergency expense, personal effects, vacation liability, RV replacement cost, gap coverage, broadened comprehensive coverage, combined with roadside assistance (tow vehicle & RV) for about $600 / year. In each one of these areas you can select the limits of coverage you think you may need or want. Then add on top of that the upper limit amount of liability (umbrella) over and above the standard coverage you think you might be exposed to or insure yourself up to. In this law suit happy world we live in, how much do you want to be exposed to. All this is through Good Sam National General. I know, I know, some like it, some don't. I don't want to get into a debate about Good Sam.

Right now our tow vehicle is insured with another standard vehicle insurance company, State Farm. We have been with them for 40 years. This is to keep, for the time being, existing multi-policy discounts (multi car, home owners etc) with that company. They do not have very broad RV insurance coverage that is why we didn't use State Farm for the RV insurance.
    Right before we go full time we will revisit the whole vehicle insurance quagmire (:-)) and bring everything together under one insurance company or plan and adjust the coverage limits at that time. May be Good Sam National General, may not be.

We have talked about and looked at the medical insurance part of it, but for now haven't made any changes since we are covered under the wife's hospital insurance plan. That will come later.

Everybody has to do what they think is right for them, but reading and gathering information from others that are involved in full time RV living is great resource material. Makes you think about what you may have overlooked. Some members of our family still think we are crazy. Well, to each their own! I ask my sister how many more times (3 now for her) are you gong to have your house damaged by Indiana tornado's before you make a change. One of my other sisters moved from northern Indiana to Pensacola Florida, and now has hurricanes to deal with! Oh Well!
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel