User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished mounting a winch on the front of our PU. What does this have to do with ham radio you ask -- well I intend to lower my 40 ft. tower next summer to put an antenna and rotator on the top. Need the winch to lower and raise the tower. There is always equipment to buy for ham radio.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Do you guys have any say in your call sign or is it just randomly generated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your original call sign is issued by the FCC and is in sequential order for the next call sign by your class. Once this one is issued you may apply for a "vanity' call sign, but there are restrictions as to those as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But your original call sign also goes by your call area. Like say AF7kd. It's an extra class call sign for the area around Utah.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Cool thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use a Yaesu FT-817D with an LDG z817 portable tuner. Nice and tiny rig and the tuner allows me to just toss up a home made dipole or long wire anywhere. Toss it up across some trees and it just looks like a clothes line if people can even see it.

2 meters is really local stuff (unless you get crazy on repeaters), I prefer HF and mostly Morse for the site back and relax part. There are some awesome little paddle keys for the 817.

Cheers
    Tim (VA3 TGF)
    2022 Momentum 25G (aka "Baby Mo")
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie SRW | 6.7 HO Aisin | 6’4” bed | 3.73 gears | air suspension | 3694# Payload
    Blog Post: 1500 Pickup’s and Towing - The REAL numbers with example
    Blog Post: 2016-2018 Imagine 2800BH - 3500 lb Axles Tire Rubbing Issues

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run a 2 meter in the rig. I know it is FM but I get to keep up a bit
    I would love to get back into some long distance CW work again but it is all about antenna portability

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DMR is available to tech class and with a cell signal and a hotspot you don't need any external antenna. I winter in an HOA that's antenna restricted but it doesn't matter as I can talk around the world and don't even require a repeater in range. Read up on DMR... one of the fastest growing segments in amateur radio. N1AO
    Cheers,

Don
    2019 Imagine 2500RL
    Ford F-150 Lariat 5.4L 3V
    Our rig

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Yaesu 8800 in the truck, which can listen to 2 meter and 70CM simultaneously, but I'm not here for the commercial to sell Yaesu radios...
    My experience over the past 10 years of traveling with a 2 meter rig in the truck is that it takes some thought to set up your radio for where you're going.
    What I mean is that HAM radio isn't like CB where there are defined channels that you just choose at the flick of a knob and then talk.
    Unless your talking radio to radio (simplex) on the 146.520 MHz, which is the National simplex frequency, supposedly monitored by most folks when traveling, you will need to know some details about the repeaters in the area AND be able to put that information into your radio either ahead of time or on the fly. While it's not impossible to put in the specifics for the repeater while you're moving, my radio requires attention to detail to get the repeater offset, DCS or tone code, and transmit frequency set right and still stay in my lane.
    That said, once you get to a location and want to find someone on 2 meters, I use the "repeaterbook" app on my phone to find local repeaters. I have an apple, so I'm not sure if it's available for Android.
    It geo locates you and shows you the specific settings for the OPEN repeaters that are close to you, showing the mileage from you to the repeater. This is Very handy to have. There are a couple of places on the Oregon Coast I go to, south of Newport, that are small islands of NO CELL service. If you or someone you love needs help, the HAM radio can get you in touch with someone that hopefully has a phone. Realize that simplex, without the aid of a repeater, your talk distance may be less than 10 miles depending on too many things to mention here. An RF engineer friend told me that when you buy an antenna, you only have half of a transmitter, and the radio IS NOT the other half, your vehicle is, which makes up the ground plane. If you put a 2 meter or any other antenna on the roof or side of your RV, make sure it's grounded to the frame of the vehicle!
    To add to this, I have my call sign on the back of my trailer with the frequency I'm monitoring while driving. My license plates have my call sign on them. I have talked with a total of 3 people while moving, and one of those guys was at a base station.
    What am I saying here? Yes it's great to have a manner of communication while you're other wise out of cell service. But, don't expect that you will have 20 people waiting to converse with you while you're traveling. Admittedly, where I'm traveling, which is most often along the I-84 path between Idaho and the Oregon Coast, there are a lot of areas of very low density of people, let alone HAMS. Some cities have VERY active repeaters and you may have trouble getting to talk at all..
    Either way, good luck and upgrade your license as soon as you can! SOrry for the long post. I'm sure you'll find several HAM's in your area that can help with set up on your RV.
    Cheers
    FB

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use or 2ways when moving around gas pumps are in spotty cell phone areas. They are also nice in sparsely populated areas.
    Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
    Nathan & Susan Gifford
    Belle, & Danke
    53 days camping 8000 miles 2017
    2017 Imagine 2800BH
    '07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax LBZ 4WD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast