Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

install of wdh hitch to 2400bh

Hi,
    I am new to trailers/towing and would like to learn as much as I can. This site is an excellent source of valuable info. After searching for a day or two, I would like to ask. We are picking up the trailers in a week and I need a WDH. Of cause the dealer wants to rip me off (Blue ox for 900 dollars) .., but I am resisting. I am thinking about installing my own hitch, right after PDI. Looking at Andesen's hitches. Only thing i can not figure out is the size of the trailers A frame or if i will have enough clearance to bolt on the brackets. Has anyone ever had issues with installing weight distribution brackets to the A frame? What size is the a frame (hitch can be bought with different size brackets)? Thank you, Russ.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A great source to find out the right size/model hitch is etrailers.com. I have always had good luck with them, and their prices are competitive.

With my most recent trailerupgrade, I knew what I wanted, (quil-i-zer 14k) and found one on Facebook mareketplace. It was a little rusty, but otherwise in good shape. Bought it for $275 (less than half price). I used a wire wheel in my drill to clean up the rust, sprayed it with rustoleum rust converter, and then top coated with rustoleum gloss black. Looks brand new. The company even sent me new safety stickers for free. I am taking it with me for delivery, and the dealer said they will set it up at no cost, which is part of every sale.

Either way may be a cheaper option that buying it straight up from the dealer. Good luck.
    Mike & Maggie
    Paige, Molly, Delaney & Bridget (yes, 4 daughters)
    Chocolate Lab - Seamus
    2019 312BHTS Reflection TT
    2017 F-250 Lariat SCREW Gasser 6.2L, SRW, shortbed
    14k Equal-I-Zer Hitch

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Blue Ox SwayPro is a very good hitch. I bought mine from eTrailer. Setting them up is not real hard if you do the research. One tip if you do go with the SwayPro is to get the next higher weight bars than what the loaded hitch weight yields. Many of us believe that Blue Ox is a bit optimistic with their WD bar capacity. If you want to do some more research on the SwayPro, visit my web page at http://www.klenger.net/sway-pro.html for my thoughts, videos, and other links.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also use the BlueOx Swaypro to tow my 297RSTS. This hitch does a great job eliminating sway. I am using the 20,000 pound hitch (this thing is heavy) but I use the 1500 pound bars. Weight distribution is fine towing with a GMC 2500 diesel.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using the Equalizer 12k with our 297RSTS. I had one with the chains before, and much prefer the bars the Equalizer uses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i went with the slightly overpriced dealer sold hitch to include install and adjustments. i watched a video with the E4 and the person said it took them 2-3 hours to get it set up correctly. That being the case, i figured i would let the dealer do the setup and also let the dealer assume some of the liability for setup and proper hitch selection.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went with a 1,200/12,000 Equal-i-zer hitch for our Imagine 2800BH. There is a CAT scale located about 4 miles down the interstate from the RV dealer. I made trips across the scale with my truck before picking up our trailer, and then with the truck and trailer after leaving the RV dealer. I think this gives you a better understanding of how the hitch is distributing weight compared to measuring wheel well heights. Also driving just a couple miles down the interstate gives you an opportunity to see how well the hitch controls sway with big trucks passing. After getting our gear loaded into the trailer I made a few trips back to the RV dealer until the hitch was adjusted satisfactorily, with trips down the road to the CAT scale to test each adjustment to the hitch. The technicians at the RV dealer got tired of seeing me come back for adjustments, but that's what it took to get it right.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch