User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we pull a 351m or 328m?

My wife and I love the 351m, was about to pull the trigger and buy it, but started to read these forums and are unsure if it would be safe to tow. The dealership says we can pull it, but we have done the calculations and apparently its too big for our 2017 F250. Its seems to be split on these forums as to whether or not we can safely pull it, so we are now looking at the 2017 328m, but don't care for it as much. Its smaller and doesn't have some of the updated features that the 351m has. We are also wondering if it may be too heavy for our truck as well. Just not sure what to do.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Towing is probably fine, but you need to look inside your driver's door jamb and see what carrying capacity is.

It will tell you how much weight you can add to the truck before getting to GVWR.

Figure on yourself, any passengers, hitch and anything else you add to the truck coming off that number, then look at pin weight of the 5th wheel.

I recently had a customer with a 2017 F-250 diesel and his weight sicker was 2089lbs....
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d be a little concerned. I just got a 351m, and I’m towing with an F350 SRW. My truck seems to do okay, but I know I’m right about the limit. If your F250 is a gasser and not diesel, I wouldn’t even consider it.
    I’m toying with the idea of upgrading to a dually as I’m sure it will be more stable and safe. Ratings have more to them than just will it pull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marion View Post
    My wife and I love the 351m... Just not sure what to do.
    My wife loved the 315RLTS, but I had already purchased a brand new 2017 F-250 Platinum with the 6.7L diesel. I bought the truck before I really understood about "the sticker" (payload info). It was a colossal newbie mistake, because my plan was to put a ~1K-lb Honda Goldwing in the truck's bed while towing the 315RLTS. As I learned (too late) on this forum, I was way over the ratings.

Fran and I wrestled almost 7 months with the idea of buying a different trailer (almost bought a Rockwood 2707WS) but I could tell the DW was not excited about getting her new trailer. I found my current truck (see pic in my sig line), bought the trailer my wife loved, and haven't looked back. I call the whole ordeal a "$10K Life Lesson". It's what I figure the truck swap cost me (extra) above what it would if I'd gotten it right the first time.

The bottom line here is my wife loves her 315RLTS, and I'm completely comfortable on the road knowing I have the truck to handle the load.

Hope my story helps a little...
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a diesel, but i am leaning towards the 328.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt you'll be able to be within the door jamb sticker payload with either the 328M or 351M. Both units have a GVW of 16.5k lbs. Even if your payload is within a hair of the pin weight of either of these, by the time you add passengers and gear, you'll probably be over the payload.

Interestingly the 328M has a UVW of 12.4k lbs, while the 351M has a UVW of 13.6k lbs. So you have an extra 1200 lbs payload capacity with the 328M.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not even close to being safe with a 250.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomHAB View Post
    I’d be a little concerned. I just got a 351m, and I’m towing with an F350 SRW. My truck seems to do okay, but I know I’m right about the limit. If your F250 is a gasser and not diesel, I wouldn’t even consider it.
    I’m toying with the idea of upgrading to a dually as I’m sure it will be more stable and safe. Ratings have more to them than just will it pull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do you know the actuals on the pin weight? I’ve a 350SRW and am considering a 381M which has allegedly 15lbs more pin weight despite the larger garage.