Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Evil Rat Dogs Sister Greives

We grieve the loss of our pets, but little do we realize our pets grieve also. Since the demise of Bandit the Evil Rat Dog our new dog Kota has developed severe separation anxiety. When we leave for an activity she will yowl and yelp loudly until we return. Add to this our nearest neighbor just lost her husband so she is quite sensitive right now. It's a pretty big problem for us.

I know it will be temporary. We will get this worked out. Any ideas, experiences, or successes that you have to share would be appreciated.

I love my wife, but sometimes she drives me crazy, here are the things she came up with.

Turn the radio on - didn't work. (no tv here)
    She has ordered special classical music on a chip that is designed to sooth the anxioius dog, it arrives today.
    She had ordered a animal partner, its a stuffed animal bird that has two slots in it, one for a device that resembles a heart beat and another that contains a warmer.
    We are consulting a dog trainer, first appointment available next Thursday.
    We are taking her to our vet next week.
    We have hired a pet sitter.
    We are looking at adopting another dog.

We had a cat with a severe digestive problem. Barbara commented once during a vet visit that she couldn't understand why we had such bad luck with pets and health issues, the vet didn't even hesitate, he said it's because god has sent you these special animals because he knows that you will care for them and love them no matter what.

Since none of these are an instantaneous fix I get the pleasure of taking the dog to work with me.

But since life, love, and marriage can be fun I have countered with the following suggestions that she has not agreed to. God does not send me these pets.

Take the dog back to the pound.
    Frontal Labotomy
    Electric Shock Therapy
    Vocal-otomy.
    Lock her up in a shed until she quiets down, then if she is still alive let her out.

I tried shutting her in the supply closest, but this is what happened.

So in the mean time here is my temporary solution.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    So in the mean time here is my temporary solution.
    Face it, Dallas, the females in your life are in the driver's seat--you're just a passenger.

On a serious note, crate training works wonders. My Pomeranian hates her crate (the Poodle loves his) but they are both quiet when they are crated--it's a "safe place". Mine get crated for bed every night, so it is nothing new or unusual for them.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not a big crate fan. I understand the concept and recognize it as humane and accepted practice. Most dogs even prefer it. I just can't go there.

So here is what some of my relatives came up with: Cannibus for dogs!

Can't really go there either, but it is fun to think about.
    Dallas

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dallas

You seem to end up in some precarious situations. I believe you will find the right answer(probably come from the DW).

Brian

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turn the gate around and install some type of smooth facing which will not allow her to get traction. I have two labs which are 2/1/2 weeks apart in age and have shared our home since they were 8 weeks old. They are not 12.5 years old. I swear they are connected in spirit and a tune to each other. We have crate trained every dog we have had. It is their safe space... Often find them laying in there with the doors open just relaxing...
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adopt another dog! Long story short, we used to have a cat named Maibock (named after a German beer style I really liked). After moving from Southern Germany to Florida, the kids wanted a dog. We adopted a black lab named Bruiser. Years later, after we moved to Las Vegas, Maibock passed away at 18 years old. Bruiser had become so close to Maibock that he literally went ape-********. After trying several things, we succumbed and adopted another cat named Brandy. Not long after, Bruiser passed away at 17 years old. So Brandy goes nuts missing Bruiser. We adopted a Shepard mix named Duke to keep her happy. A few years later, we adopted a Siberian Husky and named her Dutchess (Duke and Dutchess). We believe she was a puppy mill puppy with all kinds of health issues, and cost us a fortune in vet bills, but we never gave up. A few years later, she had a massive Grand Mal seizure and passed away. Both Duke and Brandy were in such a deep funk, we ended up adopting a mix breed Husky named Nyla. Now, Duke, Brandy, and Nyla are all joined at the hip! Unfortunately, Duke is getting up there in age and is having some health issues. We don't know how much longer he'll be around. Given past experience, when Duke passes, we will most likely have to adopt another dog for Brandy and Nyla. And the pattern continues... It seems we don't adopt pets for our own enjoyment (although they are very entertaining), we adopt pets to keep our other pets company. We are just the Innkeepers.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    Adopt another dog! John
    We turned the gate around she chewed a hole in the bottom. Actually that was the first gate, this is the second one.

Got back from the vet today. She told us adopting another dog may not be the magic fix, in fact, none of the standard remedies may fix the issue. But it might. She also told us that some dogs are genetically predisposed to have this syndrome. We may be able to mitigate it, but we may not be able to fix it.

She said try CBD and a thundershirt. CBD is a hemp derivative of cannabis I think. CBD info We are in Utah so it can't be too bad. She also mentioned crate training, but thought we may have missed the boat as Kota is almost 2 years old. Last resort, doggy Prozac.

We are going to visit Hamlet tomorrow.

We installed and configured The Digital Dog Sitter. We ran it all day while we were out. Silly dog squeaked, howled and moaned for 5 hours. It's all caught on the computer with pictures. I think the software would work on kids too. Sad to hear her be so upset, funny to watch.

The fancy mood music we ordered played to day, it had no effect.

3 more days of work for me here, then we will be able to move. It will take a great deal of stress out of the situation when we can get away from the poor woman next door who just lost her husband. Her nerves are quite raw and Kota is her personal finger nails on the blackboard. We get it, we are doing what we can. It's not fun for any of us.
    Dallas

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I highly recommend CBD oil. It has done some amazing things with our dog Koda. It has calmed many of his anxieties and made hime more relaxed with strangers. He will be on it for the rest of his life.
    We get King Kalm with Green Roads CBD oil
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/