User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fridge fan noise is ridiculous

Can that be fixed??? So loud. How do you replace the fan or even look at it to determine if the mounting is the cause? The fan is down between the two exterior vent panels. Do you pull the fridge in from the inside? I wonder if the fan will keep blowing if you pull it in. I read someone replaced the one with two better ones and it was quieter. I wouldn't know how to get at it.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk
    Tom and Kathy
    Fort Collins, CO
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2016 RAM 2500, 6.7 Turbo Diesel,
    Crew Cab, Standard Bed, Hitch Prep
    B&W Companion Hitch

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Following, noticed ours was noisy last night.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK - so no replies yet. Let me ask a specific question. My refrigerator is in a slide-out so it has two vents on the outside. I was able to look down from the top vent and see the single, loud fan below. It doesn't seem possible to get to it from the vent. Is this a job that's done inside the RV after you've pulled the fridge in? Has anyone done it? Is there a video?
    Tom and Kathy
    Fort Collins, CO
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    B&W Companion Hitch

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom
    The fridge is installed from the inside therefor we would have to somehow slide it inside and support it somehow to work on this. I have looked at mine as well and I believe this is the only solution. Unless you have rubber arms. Not sure how they are fastened in to place. I believe they are heavy too.

I know this is not much help but best I can do right now. I will search and see if I can find something.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    The fridge is installed from the inside therefor we would have to somehow slide it inside and support it somehow to work on this. I have looked at mine as well and I believe this is the only solution. Unless you have rubber arms. Not sure how they are fastened in to place. I believe they are heavy too.
    I think you're right. We're going to have to figure out how to detach it, pull it in and support it. Once done, replacing the fan with two better fans will be a piece of cake. We may want to look at the cavity as well and maybe add some insulation.
    Tom and Kathy
    Fort Collins, CO
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    B&W Companion Hitch

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somebody at rally told me to fill cavity on top of fridge with insulation. That helped there's with cooling. I think it was the dometic man but not sure.

We should get together and do this, would be easy with a couple people and the right tools.

Brian

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to remove the baffle plate that is at the bottom of the fins. There is open space and the You then can reach down in. If under warranty make the dealer do it. I don’t even hear mine....

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way back in our Aliner ays we had to replace the fridge fan. We did it with an ultra quiet computer fan and also mounted it with bungies so there was no aditional vibration....soooo quiet. When we replace our Atwood Helium fridge we'll do the same with our 303
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBober View Post
    You need to remove the baffle plate that is at the bottom of the fins. There is open space and the You then can reach down in. If under warranty make the dealer do it. I don’t even hear mine.
    Are you saying you did this job or had your dealer do it and that's why you don't hear yours? I'll have to look again and look at that baffle plate. I'd rather do it without pulling the fridge inside.
    Tom and Kathy
    Fort Collins, CO
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    B&W Companion Hitch

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a topic that is buried in several different forum threads. Try a search on fridge + fans + baffles (or similar) for these discussions and pictures about insulating above the fridge and modifying the upper opening baffle.

The fridges are installed from the inside . . . so that is how they have to come out.
    Different types have different attachments, see the manual that came with your fridge or find an installation manual online.
    There will be fasteners around the interior. Maybe behind snap out trim covers.
    There will be frame fasteners to the floor at the back.
    You will have to disconnect 12V wires, the gas line and unplug the 120V power.

I used a furniture dolly with wood on top to bring it up to exactly the height of the fridge opening. It was then not too difficult to wiggle the fridge out of the cabinet and on to the dolly.

Once out of the cabinet, I would suggest powering up the fridge again (12V and 120V) to see how noisy the fan actually is. It is possible that a bracket is loose or the fan was jammed against something that is transmitting the noise. As noted earlier, there are lots of fan replacement possibilities.

While the fridge was out, I replaced the stuffed in bats of fibreglass insulation with rigid foam insulation glued to the interior of the cabinet walls and in the space above.

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 09-03-2018 at 10:38 AM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast