User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cringe when I see someone pulling these larger trailers with a half ton pickup and P rated tires. Our F150 pulled an 8,000lb trailer just fine, as long as the wind didn't blow. I put load range E tires on it and it was as good as any set up with a bumper pull I have towed.

If you are going to be pulling a 5,000lb or greater trailer try a set of LT tires designed to handle the load, you will be much better off. When not towing you can run those tires at a lower pressure to get some of the smooth ride back.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post
    I cringe when I see someone pulling these larger trailers with a half ton pickup and P rated tires. Our F150 pulled an 8,000lb trailer just fine, as long as the wind didn't blow. I put load range E tires on it and it was as good as any set up with a bumper pull I have towed.

If you are going to be pulling a 5,000lb or greater trailer try a set of LT tires designed to handle the load, you will be much better off. When not towing you can run those tires at a lower pressure to get some of the smooth ride back.
    LOL - I was the "cringe" guy for a long time too. I had my 2500 Ram that was set up for towing and laughed at the 1500 crowd pulling huge trailers. OK, that said - from the research I have done, it seems like how I have my F150 equipped that it should be stable enough for this TT. The exception is the tires which I am bummed about not being e-rated. I wonder though if being 20" wheels if the sidewall will have a little less flex and maybe more stable? Just speculation, I may be completely wrong.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    I bought a $2,500 ProPride Hitch and it took out 95% of the problem.
    I may have to suck it up and buy one of these. Or a used Hensley and have it rebuilt locally here in Michigan.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see why you would need to spend $2500 on a hitch. The equalizer is great, just get the 1200 lb bars.
    I pull our 2800 with a Ram 1500. 1200 lb bars and Firestone airbags set at 15 lbs do the trick.
    2018 Imagine 2800bh
    2018 Ram 2500
    6.4 heni

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by binfordtools View Post
    I wonder though if being 20" wheels if the sidewall will have a little less flex and maybe more stable? Just speculation, I may be completely wrong.
    binfordtools,

It seems reasonable that if your optional P275/55R20 tire is roughly the same diameter as the standard P275/65R18 tire, then the shorter sidewall of your 20" tire might be stiffer. I'm not sure how sidewall stiffness of a P-type 55 aspect ratio tire compares to a LT-type 65 aspect ratio tire, but I assume the LT tire is stiffer even with the taller sidewall.

Your optional 20" wheels also triggered your rear axle rating to be upgraded to 4,050-lbs. vs. the standard 3,850-lbs. rating. I don't think your truck's overall GVWR is affected due to the optional 20" wheels; just the rear axle rating.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by binfordtools View Post
    LOL - I was the "cringe" guy for a long time too. I had my 2500 Ram that was set up for towing and laughed at the 1500 crowd pulling huge trailers. OK, that said - from the research I have done, it seems like how I have my F150 equipped that it should be stable enough for this TT. The exception is the tires which I am bummed about not being e-rated. I wonder though if being 20" wheels if the sidewall will have a little less flex and maybe more stable? Just speculation, I may be completely wrong.

Here is an easy test for you to do. Get someone to drive for you. Get out on the highway, if there is a little gusty crosswind it would be best. Adjust your passenger's side mirror so you can see the rear tire. Watch the tire as the wind pushes on the trailer, it it is flexing you will see it. You might be amazed, I know I was.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought the 2800bh last year. Took it out in the fall right before winter locally. It was all my 2014 Ram 1500 (5.7 8 speed with airbags) wanted to handle. Even with 1000 bars it was pushing me everywhere. Did not feel safe at all with wife and kids in the truck. Traded the truck in on suv for the wife and have been truck shopping for months. Took the trailer on a 2000 mile road trip this spring and rented a new ram 2500 since I still had not bought a truck. God it pulled like a dream, zero sway at all. But $50k trucks will do that. Ended up buying a 06 duramax 2500hd for cheap and will see how it does this weekend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m considering a new 2800bh and I have a 2016 f150 crew cab with the 6.5 ft bed and max tow pkg. My payload is 1800. I’m hoping my longer wheelbase will help with the ride if I decide to buy this model. I don’t really want to upgrade to LT rated tires but have been wanting to get a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers that day the sidewall is XL. Currently running the 20” Hankooks that came with the truck

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, I see a couple of new faces, welcome to the board.

These half ton towing a 2670 or 2800 threads seem to pop up on here a lot. When I was picking a tow vehicle I came across a few threads that mentioned that a heavier tow vehicle will tow a camper better than a lighter one, especially in the wind. There are hitches, tires, shocks, active suspension, timbrens and airbags that will help but in the end weight vs weight seems to be the answer.

I recommend airing up rear tires to the max on the sidewall when towing, it will stiffen the sidewall somewhat. Try that before pulling the trigger on Load range E.
    Last edited by Flip94ta; 04-25-2020 at 10:33 AM.

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really wish they made something in between the 2400 and 2800bh. We really like the bunk house style but if you go down to 2400 you lose the couch/recliners and there’s no where to sit comfortably in the trailer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast