User Tag List

Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post
    It looks like that is just a butt weld against the bottom of the frame, I can see how it could break. It only has a few inches of weld holding all that force. Those spring hangers should extend up the sides of the frame then be welded on, it would be a lot stronger. I know you said the weld is not what broke, but the heat from the weld probably weakened the part which broke, it the spring hangers were overlapped on the sides of the frame I don't think this would have happened.
    DougW9876 - That is a very valid observation. Welds seldom break . . . it is the heat affected zone next to the weld that becomes brittle and becomes the weak point. Your suggestion would be a great design improvement, but "it is what it is" . . . we are faced with figuring out how to reinforce the assembly method chosen by LCI.

Prior to seeing the LCI tech's reinforcement idea, I had thought about strap plates up each side of the hanger and 2" square tube. (This would not work for most of the configurations where the hanger is welded to the bottom flange of an I beam.) Even with the square tube side surfaces to weld to, this reinforcement method would require dropping the coroplast and moving wiring out of the way to weld to the inboard surface of the square tube.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow glad you were in the right place for it Rob and they got it taken care of. I'd heard of "boxing in" the spring hangers and had thought I should look into it. I saw on keep your daydream (YouTube channel) that they had it done as part of a MorRyde upgrade before going to Alaska. I'd definitely be looking at the other five once you get home and have the time.

Great seeing you, hope the rest of your ride home went okay.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you caught it when you did! And there were still some techs around to get it fixed. We went to raise our legs after hooking up to the truck, and the rocker switch quit working, fortunately they had an extra onsite. Be careful driving in the “rust belt!”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mike & Debbie
    Hot Springs, Ar
    2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Short Bed Diesel
    B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    2014 Reflection 303 (#405)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    When I did the bushing/Mor Ryde CRE3000 upgrade, I also added the XFactor cross bracing:

Attachment 14867

Attachment 14868

Attachment 14869

The 3rd picture is not my rig but representative of an installed Xfactor cross brace.

I only added one Xfactor between the middle spring hangers. I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to install 2 more so all three spring hangers have side-to-side bracing. Thoughts ?

This is exactly what I recently did when I added the Morryde suspension upgrades. All of the spring hangers along with the equalizer are reinforced with the 3 x factor cross members. Theyre not that expensive and a diy type of instal (although went ahead and paid to have mine installed along with rest of suspension/springs.)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DED9E659-2BA5-49B7-8D1A-70D7F624849C.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	725.7 KB 
ID:	14870 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C729B405-0BFF-4373-86A0-D5A6C0F90EDD.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	14871
    Ryan and Alison
    2017 Solitude 377MBS-R
    Titan electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    Morryde CRE 3000, xmembers x3, WBs,4k springs
    2017 GMC 3500 Duramax Denali SRW Airlift bags with wireless control
    Pullrite 2900 autoslide hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Broken Spring Hanger!

Why can’t the trailer manufacturers simply use springs with more arch and connect them to the frame, front and back of the springs, like the leaf springs on my truck?
    Even the so-called upgraded suspensions I see on here look fragile to me, in comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Why can’t the trailer manufacturers simply use springs with more arch and connect them to the frame, front and back of the springs, like the leaf springs on my truck?
    Even the so-called upgraded suspensions I see on here look fragile to me, in comparison.

DMB - When a leaf spring is compressed, it gets longer in the lateral direction. There has to be a way to allow for this. Either a shackle or a slipper connection is required at one end.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Broken Spring Hanger!

Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    DMB - When a leaf spring is compressed, it gets longer in the lateral direction. There has to be a way to allow for this. Either a shackle or a slipper connection is required at one end.

Rob
    Seeing as I have been a regular here for almost a year and have nearly 800 posts, I think I’m at a point where I’m comfortable with you guys calling me Ed.

Just don’t try to hug me at the rally.

[emoji12]

Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The observations of the weld not breaking and the material breaking beside the weld are spot on. When taking welding tests we were required to saw the weld in cross sections, straight thru the weld parallel , and got some of them ex-rayed. In most cases the material beside the weld was altered in a "molecular" fashion which left it softer or harder and brittle. This is where most weld joints will fail.
    In-proper pre-weld preparations will change the properties of the weld and surrounding areas , ex. Welding rusty metals, materials with inferior metal compositions (ie china metal) also welding with poorly manufactured welding wire.
    With that all being said please go to the braking video and watch the suspension and not the tires at all angles. This will show how much theses spring hangers are flexing.
    I have been thinking since we got our trailer that as long as the spring hangers are this is a place for improvement and will take steps sometime soon to fix this.

Rob, glad you did not have this problem at high speed or somewhere where somebody could have got hurt.

Brian

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When ours failed it was right at the weld, a bad weld from day 1. When Lippert repaired it for us in FL the opposite side looked good visually but by the time we got to the TN Rally that side showed fatigue from the 1st break. Lucky for us Lippert was at the Rally in TN and fixed the 2nd break and put 4 of those V clips on. We like seeing those clips for just a little extra strength. The leading axle has been fine to date.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post

LCI really needs to consider a truck like spring hanger design. One look at our truck spring hangers and its obvious the current flimsy LCI hangers are more suited for lawn tractor trailers. The longer they make the spring hangers with this current design (especially the add on correct track), the higher the bending forces. The modification on Robs trailer makes sense to help with this bending, but to connect to the side of the frame with a cross member would provide the strongest support. Similar to our trucks which support similar loads over the rear axle. Rivets are used to avoid heat affected zone issues. If the auto industry had these types of suspension failures it would result in a major recall.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast