User Tag List

Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorwinion View Post
    I have only today became a member of the GD Forum. I have several friends with GD trailers and suspension failures have become the norm. Last year I had the springs replaced after identifying spring fatigue and this year a hanger broke and the two springs on that side again require replacing. GD and Lippert are working with me and I sure appreciate their help. However, I am not feeling confident with the reliability of my 303RLS trailer and I am 2,000 miles from home.
    Is the broken hanger on the rear?

Jim
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Is the broken hanger on the rear?

Jim
    Mine was rear drivers side.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncitro View Post
    Most of the reported broken hangers have been right rear . . . on rigs that are heavy on the left side. I know . . . this doesn’t make any sense. Does your 28BH have a side-to-side weight difference?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not had it weighed side to side yet but I'd say it's balanced pretty close fridge is on the driver's side, along with both slides, but the passenger side is all cabinets and countertops, so that's where I'd think a lot of the weight is.
    2018 Reflection 28BH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncitro View Post
    There is a method of supporting the hangers where the most critical is the rear hanger of the rear axle. The method is to have a V clip welded into the hanger. There is a pic of this in this string where Rob of Cate & Rob had this done by Lippert. There are many theories on why this occurs but what we know is when hard braking is encountered, the rear axle will torque over from the opposite action from braking. This torque will rotate the equalizer and will result in front axle rise. Once this occurs, the front may lock up from lack of traction and the rear will bare the brunt of the braking action. Since the rear hanger is the solid anchor point on the trailer to the rear axle, this little bracket becomes over stressed. Axle wrap can also cause a force in the forward direction on the hanger during the axle torque, followed by a reversal on this braking action. This action also adds to the fatigue of the rear hanger. So the V clip will strengthen the hanger in the fore and aft directions to help prevent failure.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Most of the reported broken hangers have been right rear . . . on rigs that are heavy on the left side. I know . . . this doesn’t make any sense. Does your 28BH have a side-to-side weight difference?

Rob
    Rob,

What about the right being the side that may leave the road on occasions? This is the side where most wheel bearings on autos fail as well. I could see braking with the right side in some rough territory adding to the hanger stress.

Jim
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 05-20-2019 at 05:42 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, to be honest, I was going to join the GDF a while back after suffering from a brake failure, a slide-out motor failure and consistent refrigerator & LP system issues as well as a leaking roof.
    I have no photographs to post of the broken hanger because we arrived in Minnesota in the rain, took the trailer to a RV service center (because I knew something was wrong) on the next day and then went to our daughter's graduation. We had planned to use the trailer for our daughter while she is doing a clinical 100 miles North. Instead we are waiting for the parts from Lippert and our daughter is now staying at a hotel. (We are at her house.)
    The last set of springs were replaced by a reputable semi truck & trailer shop and had less than 3,500 miles on them.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    There is a method of supporting the hangers where the most critical is the rear hanger of the rear axle. The method is to have a V clip welded into the hanger. There is a pic of this in this string where Rob of Cate & Rob had this done by Lippert. There are many theories on why this occurs but what we know is when hard braking is encountered, the rear axle will torque over from the opposite action from braking. This torque will rotate the equalizer and will result in front axle rise. Once this occurs, the front may lock up from lack of traction and the rear will bare the brunt of the braking action. Since the rear hanger is the solid anchor point on the trailer to the rear axle, this little bracket becomes over stressed. Axle wrap can also cause a force in the forward direction on the hanger during the axle torque, followed by a reversal on this braking action. This action also adds to the fatigue of the rear hanger. So the V clip will strengthen the hanger in the fore and aft directions to help prevent failure.
    Hey Jim,

This is the best “everything considered” theory on what’s going on, that has been presented so far! I think you may have figured out what is going on here. This explains why the hanger breaks are always “fatigue” from being cycled back and forth rather than deformation or tearing from being one-time overloaded.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are the grand design dealers aware of this and able to do any of this welding to PREVENT these from failing?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph143 View Post
    Are the grand design dealers aware of this and able to do any of this welding to PREVENT these from failing?
    My dealer is pretty great, but I would trust them with welding about as far as I can throw them.
    2018 Reflection 28BH

Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast