User Tag List

Page 18 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian,

I am only solving for lateral because that is what I think would be the primary force breaking the hangers. I think the twisting you are speaking of is inherent to having both the shackles in the middle between the tires. I think the only way to get around the twist would be a 4 link systems or ladder bars or something similar.

Pat
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    The twisting is the tire on one end moving backward while the tire on the other end is moving forward. The bar will only stop the lateral movement.

Hope this helps.

Brian
    I don’t think the difference that we see in the front vs the rear tire when backing in a sharp turn is the tires moving fore/aft . . . I think it is up/down. Forced through the equalizer link in a manner similar to the braking interaction shown in the Lippert video. The panhard rod would ideally have a ball joint on each end so that it would control side-to-side motion of the axle but would have little affect on movement in any other direction.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    My question or observation with the "pan-hard bar" is , The axel will still be able to twist. When watching the trailer suspension it is noticeable that there is sideways movement.
    However when moving around a corner or backing and turning the axels seem to go in different directions in a twisting pattern, back tire points outward front tire points inward. A bar tying the axel to the frame will stop the sideways motion but not the twisting motion.
    Maybe????

Brian
    Brings to mind a picture like Jerryr's while backing. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...0-degree-turns
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tire Scrubbing in Backing Turn - Jerryr.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	15224

When I was backing on pavement, it appeared the wheel and the tire were at a bit of an angle. I didn't take any pictures, just wanted to get out of the turn.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    Brings to mind a picture like Jerryr's while backing. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...0-degree-turns

When I was backing on pavement, it appeared the wheel and the tire were at a bit of an angle. I didn't take any pictures, just wanted to get out of the turn.
    Gene - That picture shows exactly what I see when backing into my driveway. A sharp turn that also leaves the tire tread marks on the pavement that can be seen in that picture. What I have never done . . . is stop to look at what the equalizer is doing when this is going on. Is it heavily skewed forward or backward ? Maybe causing the lift on one of the axles ?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post

I hate when that happens! Last week I started to see this going on and straightened up a bit to get rid of that "twist" or have less of it.
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    I don’t think the difference that we see in the front vs the rear tire when backing in a sharp turn is the tires moving fore/aft . . . I think it is up/down. Forced through the equalizer link in a manner similar to the braking interaction shown in the Lippert video. The panhard rod would ideally have a ball joint on each end so that it would control side-to-side motion of the axle but would have little affect on movement in any other direction.

Rob
    Rob,

Exactly... Panhard Bar must have Tie Rod Ends.

Pat

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The panhard bar on my race car has spherical rod ends at each end. One has left hand threads so the length can be adjusted. There are a bunch of different kinds available/

Pat how about modeling a Watts Link instead of a panhard bar. Maybe could eliminate the additional side to side brace.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doing some research and thought I would pass on some of the stuff. Trying to see if I am missing something stupid.

Looking at a lot of pictures and Panhard bar installations on almost all of them have the crossbar reinforcement to the frame mounted bracket.

Good explanation on how Panhard bars work, at least in racing.
    http://www.bedfordspeedway.com/toolbox_panhard.htm

A little picture of positioning
    Attachment 15234

There are a lot of brackets on performance websites that if the right one is found could be adapted to this solution. For example this Ford 9" axle mount for 3" OD tube. Pretty sure that is whats on my Reflection. This would be to high for the application but an example.

Name:	ALL60180.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	15235

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&G garage View Post
    The panhard bar on my race car has spherical rod ends at each end. One has left hand threads so the length can be adjusted. There are a bunch of different kinds available/

Pat how about modeling a Watts Link instead of a panhard bar. Maybe could eliminate the additional side to side brace.
    Jim,

I have been looking at Watts link also and could be an alternate solution. I may model a Watts also. It may be one of those cost differences, ie. cost of a cross bar vs. cost of extra tie rod ends.

Pat

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also some kind of bearing/bushing with the Watts. Just thinking maybe it would allow the elimination of the extra cross frame brace. I'm still in favor of the 4 link/airbag/track bar setup like on that Chevy pickup.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Page 18 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast