User Tag List

Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I can look for a shop that installs mor ryde products. I just don’t think most local welding shops would be familiar with these hangers and the problems associated with them. Anyone know a good shop in Pa?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has this happened on any of the smaller trailers like my 297 RSTS or is this limited to the heavier units? Has anyone been able to get GD or Lippert to pay for reinforcing this prior to failure. Could be a dangerous situation if it breaks while towing. I would hate to have this happen on the road and ruin vacation or worse.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    Has this happened on any of the smaller trailers like my 297 RSTS or is this limited to the heavier units? Has anyone been able to get GD or Lippert to pay for reinforcing this prior to failure. Could be a dangerous situation if it breaks while towing. I would hate to have this happen on the road and ruin vacation or worse.

Rob
    Your 297 weighs about what my 28bh does I think. Not sure how it being a travel trailer rather than a fifth wheel would affect it.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob
    Hi Rob (Calbar),

This seems to have occurred predominantly on 5th wheel Reflections. But, this could be because there are more of these than any other configuration. There are two different lengths of spring hangers used by LCI. I don't know about Dexter. For the Reflection 5th wheels, it is a struggle to get these high enough to tow level with reasonable overhang clearance to the newer taller trucks. This seems to translate into GDRV/LCI using the tallest spring hangers . . . which end up being the most susceptible to flex. This would not be a concern with TTs . . . so, maybe these use shorter hangers?

My hangers (the "tall ones") are 4 1/4" from frame rail to bolt hole.

(another) Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 05-21-2019 at 08:14 AM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob
    We have lost 3 spring hangers (2 left rear, one right rear) and our trailer is one of the lightest when built. Barely noticeable when driving with a broken hanger. You're not going to be thrown in a ditch or anything. Only assistance with covering any repairs was our extended warranty. We were well out of GD warranty when the first one failed. It shouldn't be hard to find a weld shop that has performed this repair before. It's a pretty common failure on light trailers.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Rob (Calbar),

This seems to have occurred predominantly on 5th wheel Reflections. But, this could be because there are more of these than any other configuration. There are two different lengths of spring hangers used by LCI. I don't know about Dexter. For the Reflection 5th wheels, it is a struggle to get these high enough to tow level with reasonable overhang clearance to the newer taller trucks. This seems to translate into GDRV/LCI using the tallest spring hangers . . . which end up being the most susceptible to flex. This would not be a concern with TTs . . . so, maybe these use shorter hangers?

(another) Rob
    Rob (Calbar). My 297RSTS is in the shop, so I can't measure the spring hanger. But it looks like we have the shorter version hanger. Using a picture that I had previously taken, the spring is approximately 1-3/4" across. If so, then it appears to be about 3 to 3-1/4" from the frame rail to the bolt hole.

Jim

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Rob (Calbar). My 297RSTS is in the shop, so I can't measure the spring hanger. But it looks like we have the shorter version hanger. Using a picture that I had previously taken, the spring is approximately 1-3/4" across. If so, then it appears to be about 3 to 3-1/4" from the frame rail to the bolt hole.

Jim
    Thanks Jim,

My hangers are different. I have 16" wheels and there was a recall where GD added an extension to the hangers as the tires could hit the slideout push rod. I will have to take some pictures next time I go to the storage site. I think what they did with the extension makes things stiffer so less flex as well but not sure. Once I get the pics I will post again for input from the group.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Rob (Calbar),

(another) Rob
    Thanks Rob,

Mine are shorter like what Jim posted but mine have an height extension from a recall due to GD using 16" tires on some of the 2018 models and having clearance issues. I will post pics once I go to the storage site sometime to see what the group thinks.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob,

Mine are shorter like what Jim posted but mine have an height extension from a recall due to GD using 16" tires on some of the 2018 models and having clearance issues. I will post pics once I go to the storage site sometime to see what the group thinks.

Rob
    Hi Rob,

It will be interesting to learn whether these “factory” extensions reinforce the hangers or extend the leverage on the hanger welds.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post

Jim
    Is it just me, or does it look like your hanger is already bent?
    -Al
    Al and Kathe
    House: Bass Harbor, Maine
    Home: Wherever we're parked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Highlighted states are those we have camped in for at least one night in our Solitude.
    2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett) / 2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)
    Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast