User Tag List

Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok then what is the width of the material the V is made from? The inside dimension of the hanger without a bolt is 2". Do they use 1 3/4" wide steel and just weld up the 1/8"gap? Another forum post mentioned installing the V on non broken hangers without removing the spring. Based on your info that would be pretty difficult unless the V material was 1 3/4" wide.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&G garage View Post
    Ok then what is the width of the material the V is made from? The inside dimension of the hanger without a bolt is 2". Do they use 1 3/4" wide steel and just weld up the 1/8"gap? Another forum post mentioned installing the V on non broken hangers without removing the spring. Based on your info that would be pretty difficult unless the V material was 1 3/4" wide.
    Couple of pict I took of a KZ 5er next to me at storage, it has the v-clips. Looks like 2" subframe.

- Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the pics Gene. Those dimensions are very helpful.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    B&W Companion hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the pics Gene. Those dimensions are very helpful.
    Jim,

Popped those dimension in CAD real quick, so it looks like that is 3"x3" angle iron.

Pat
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, Pat & Gene . . .

As you know, I had the RR broken hanger replaced and V Clip reinforced by LCI at the August Indiana Rally. I had the other 5 reinforced with "V Clips" (again by LCI) in Indiana on our way to Florida. I did not closely examine these reinforcements until just now.

They are pieces of 1 3/4 x 1/4 x 6 flat bar bent to 90*. There is no sharp point, so these are not pieces of angle iron. The curious thing is that the legs of the V Clip are only welded on opposite sides of the hanger bracket (inboard on the leading side and outboard on the trailing side of each hanger) and then welded to the frame above at both ends. My first thought was that they did this in a hurry and figured I would never notice . . . then, I looked at the pictures posted by Gene . . . these appear to be welded in the same way. This will reinforce each side of the hanger but still allow some amount of flex in adapting to the spring bushing that is narrower than the hanger width.

What a curious way to do things . . . .

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4143.jpg  
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 02-25-2019 at 12:29 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Jim, Pat & Gene . . .

As you know, I had the RR broken hanger replaced and V Clip reinforced by LCI at the August Indiana Rally. I had the other 5 reinforced with "V Clips" (again by LCI) in Indiana on our way to Florida. I did not closely examine these reinforcements until just now.

They are pieces of 1 3/4 x 1/4 x 6 flat bar bent to 90*. There is no sharp point, so these are not pieces of angle iron. The curious thing is that the legs of the V Clip are only welded on opposite sides of the hanger bracket (inboard on the leading side and outboard on the trailing side of each hanger) and then welded to the frame above at both ends. My first thought was that they did this in a hurry and figured I would never notice . . . then, I looked at the pictures posted by Gene . . . these appear to be welded in the same way. This will reinforce each side of the hanger but still allow some amount of flex in adapting to the spring bushing that is narrower than the hanger width.

What a curious way to do things . . . .

Rob
    Rob,

Thanks for pointing out that the V-Clip was a bend piece of Flat Bar with no sharp point. The pics that Gene provided to me looked like it had a sharp point so I figured angle iron. Actually glad that its not supposed to be a sharp point.

Yes, it is strange that they only welded one side, kiddie corner to each other on the V-Clip.

Pat
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyro Gearloose View Post
    Jim,

Popped those dimension in CAD real quick, so it looks like that is 3"x3" angle iron.

Pat
    You da man Pat. Rob, lots of details that are hard to pick up from the pictures. It looked like on the KZ that the V was not welded to the inside of the hanger. Now I see why. Not that I fully understand the reasoning but it seems to be an LCI standard. I'm just going to make the Z clips from flat stock and weld it at the point followed by the belt grinder to make it purdy.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    B&W Companion hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have only today became a member of the GD Forum. I have several friends with GD trailers and suspension failures have become the norm. Last year I had the springs replaced after identifying spring fatigue and this year a hanger broke and the two springs on that side again require replacing. GD and Lippert are working with me and I sure appreciate their help. However, I am not feeling confident with the reliability of my 303RLS trailer and I am 2,000 miles from home.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the vein of "I should really get around to this" we joined the broken spring hanger club over the weekend. As I was exiting at a ramp I noticed the trailer not towing straight behind me. We pulled off into a parking lot and found the drivers side hanger broken just below the welds on both sides. I had done a bunch of maintenance over the winter, including a More Ryde 4000 system. I had figured on doing tires and having an iron worker buddy work on reinforcing the spring hangers in the next few weeks. Fortunately we were only twenty minutes from home. I gave my buddy a call and he brought his truck out and we got it pulled back into place and welded back together to get me home. Going to get it reinforced and done up right before our next trip.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20190519-WA0006.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	20219

Name:	IMG-20190519-WA0007.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	20220

Name:	IMG_20190520_165939.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	20222
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG-20190519-WA0008.jpg  
    Last edited by ncitro; 05-20-2019 at 04:01 PM.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorwinion View Post
    I have only today became a member of the GD Forum. I have several friends with GD trailers and suspension failures have become the norm. Last year I had the springs replaced after identifying spring fatigue and this year a hanger broke and the two springs on that side again require replacing. GD and Lippert are working with me and I sure appreciate their help. However, I am not feeling confident with the reliability of my 303RLS trailer and I am 2,000 miles from home.
    Welcome to the forum , sorry for the way you have joined.
    The spring hangers seem to be not very reliable as of late , as @ncitro , has just posted his broken hanger. We all have not been able to figure out a "true" cause outside of manufacture inadequacies. I as well as all others that have been following this thread are trying to keep a close eye on this and some have added the "v-clip" support or are trying to.

Brian

Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast