User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Campo Crescent Moon Levelers. Any Good?

Looks like there are two varieties of crescent moon levelers on the market: Andersen and Camco.

I haven't been able to see an Andersen anywhere in the stores. But I have seen the Campco. Does anybody have any experience with the Camco Pro or con?

Most of the problems that I have seen with the Andersens probably have to do with using too heavy of a trailer with them. They Camco seem like they might be a little shorter than the Andersens, which might make them a little tougher to level with.

The Camcos might be a little safer to use because you can chalk the wheels with regular chocks because the Camco is small enough to fit almost entirely under the wheel. Not having used either or seen them side-by-side would make that rather difficult to prove though.
    Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
    Nathan & Susan Gifford
    Belle, & Danke
    53 days camping 8000 miles 2017
    2017 Imagine 2800BH
    '07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax LBZ 4WD

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be "Camco." We have used the Andersen levelers for about five years, but have broken three of them during that period (14,000 lb. fifth wheel). I know understand why they broke and can avoid the situation. In each case, Andersen replaced the levelers free of charge. There is another brand, now, that appears to be the best constructed of all: Beech Lane. We have recently purchased and are now using these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have not used the Camco levelers, but have found several of their other products to be of a quality inferior to other manufacturers. Some of their products are OK... some are not.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Anderson and like the length. I think the longer length allows for finer tuning when leveling. With the short ones, it would not require much movement to over or under level. It doesn't even take much movement with the Anderson.
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    ...There is another brand, now, that appears to be the best constructed of all: Beech Lane. We have recently purchased and are now using these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1...
    Unfortunately the Beech Lane Levelers look like they are no longer available.
    Nathan & Susan Gifford
    Belle, & Danke
    2017 Imagine 2800BH

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KatrinaAnon View Post
    Unfortunately the Beech Lane Levelers look like they are no longer available.
    Try other sources. That just means Amazon is out of them.

https://prodacostore.com/Product/Details/B078TMK6ZD

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They must be good - they are out of stock too
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be "Camco." We have used the Andersen levelers for about five years, but have broken three of them during that period (14,000 lb. fifth wheel). I know understand why they broke and can avoid the situation. In each case, Andersen replaced the levelers free of charge. There is another brand, now, that appears to be the best constructed of all: Beech Lane. We have recently purchased and are now using these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have not used the Camco levelers, but have found several of their other products to be of a quality inferior to other manufacturers. Some of their products are OK... some are not.

Rob
    Rob, how about a mini review/comparison of the Beech Lane product? I use and like the Andersens but am always interested in a better mousetrap.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    Rob, how about a mini review/comparison of the Beech Lane product? I use and like the Andersens but am always interested in a better mousetrap.
    Kim,

We haven't had/used the Beech Lane levelers long enough to make an objective, experience based comparison. I can make these points, though:

1) The radius of the curve is slightly smaller on the Beech Lanes than on the Andersens. We have Sailun S637 ST285/80R16 Load Range G tires on the trailer and the Andersens fit the outside curve of the tires perfectly. Only time will tell if the slightly smaller radius of the Beech Lanes will cause enough extra force at the outer ends to be a problem. Both brands are the same length.

2) The resin used in the Beech Lanes is denser and harder than that in the Andersens making them heavier - 7 lbs. per leveler compared to 4 lbs. per leveler for the Andersens. The resin in the Beech Lanes is also black, which someone knowledgeable in plastics and resins tells me is more stable with exposure to sun and weather. I have no expertise in plastics. A big part of Beech Lane's advertising is that they "...don't break like other brands." I hope it's true!

3) The Beech Lanes have a non-skid texture on the upper side so the tires won't slip off of them... I just wish the bottom sides had the same surface. I did have occasional slipping with the Andersens, but haven't used the Beech Lanes on a slippery surface, yet.

That's my story (as of now) and I'm stickin' to it!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is another brand, now, that appears to be the best constructed of all: Beech Lane. We have recently purchased and are now using these
    Rob why do you use levelers like these when your Reflection has (I believe) a jack-based leveling system?
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try other sources. That just means Amazon is out of...
    Looks like everyone else too is out of the Beech. I checked eBay as well. Lots of people advertise them, they just do not have them in stock.

Really, really though thanks. I will keep looking.
    Nathan & Susan Gifford
    Belle, & Danke
    2017 Imagine 2800BH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast