Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buying too much truck?

Hello all.

I currently have an Imagine 2150RB towed by a 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 short bed SRW.

The truck has close to 200,000 miles and I know it will last, but I may sell it while it has value to buy something newer for retirement.

I'll likely keep the next truck for 10 to 15 years.

I know I can tow the current trailer with a correctly equipped 1/2 ton and certainly with most 3/4 ton trucks.

Not knowing what the future will hold I'm considering a 1 ton dually for extra stability, factor of safety and to prevent having to change trucks if our trailer changes to something larger.

Is it even possible to have too much truck?

Has anyone here considered a similar purchase?

Thanks and good day.

Joe
    Joe and Sheryl Fabrygel

2018 Imagine 2015RB - "Let the good times roll"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, not a direct correlation but you'll get my point. In all my years of boating, I've never met someone who said that they had "too much horsepower".

Knowing what I know now, if I were to purchase another truck, it would most definitely be a 1-ton DRW. Whether or not I'd ever "need" that much power would be beside the point. There's always going to be that "one time"....
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
    Well, not a direct correlation but you'll get my point. In all my years of boating, I've never met someone who said that they had "too much horsepower".

Knowing what I know now, if I were to purchase another truck, it would most definitely be a 1-ton DRW. Whether or not I'd ever "need" that much power would be beside the point. There's always going to be that "one time"....

I tend to agree with most of that, but I think there may be a limit to how much of a good thing one can stand depending on uses besides towing. I love my F350 SRW CCSB and don't find it to be much different overall than a half-ton. For me - and this is just me - a DRW or long bed would cross the line and limit some of my uses. My one ton fits in to parking lots/garages nicely and has the added benefit of insuring that DW can't have a larger fifth wheel.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    ...the added benefit of insuring that DW can't have a larger fifth wheel.
    Quote Originally Posted by EncoreJoe View Post
    SouthTX summed it up well! As long as your CFO knows any future RV upgrade (to a 5vr or something larger) potentially comes with a truck upgrade, too, then buy what works for now.

Having said that, I went with a DRW to ensure I didn't have to upgrade the truck (again). Went there once. It was what I call a "$10K life lesson". Click on my forum name and check out the profile picture to see what I'm referencing. (You'll see I went from a 2017 F-250 Platinum short bed to a 2017 F-350 DRW Platinum long bed.)
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even though our trailer is only 12k lbs GVW, I'm really glad to have our 1 ton DRW. Obviously payload is not likely to be an issue. Stability is a big plus. I remember we were driving across Montana and there were constant head and crosswinds. We saw more than a few SRW trucks and especially travel trailers weaving all over the place in those winds. We had no issues fortunately and I was able to maintain a 65-70 pace being rock steady in the lane.

Yes the length and width of the truck can be an issue when trying to park. I will say however, that I managed to spend a month in Vancouver B.C. traffic with minimal issues. I was even able to find parking but it involved pretrip planning. No way could I fit into hotel or underground garages. We mostly parked in outdoor lots.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EncoreJoe View Post
    Hello all.

I currently have an Imagine 2150RB towed by a 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 short bed SRW.

The truck has close to 200,000 miles and I know it will last, but I may sell it while it has value to buy something newer for retirement.

I'll likely keep the next truck for 10 to 15 years.

I know I can tow the current trailer with a correctly equipped 1/2 ton and certainly with most 3/4 ton trucks.

Not knowing what the future will hold I'm considering a 1 ton dually for extra stability, factor of safety and to prevent having to change trucks if our trailer changes to something larger.

Has anyone here considered a similar purchase?

Thanks and good day.

Joe
    Short answer = No.
    We bought a new 2018 3500 Ram LB DRW because in a couple years we will upgrade to a 5th wheel. Even then the models of 5th wheels we like - we made sure the new trucks towing capabilities is way over any of those 5th wheels.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    My one ton fits in to parking lots/garages nicely and has the added benefit of insuring that DW can't have a larger fifth wheel.
    Exactly... X2!
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had my F250 diesel for many years and didn't need to trade such a great (paid for) truck. I bought my Reflection 323BHS to match the maximum tow capabilities of my truck. At 36 feet and 4 slides, I don't think any larger, heavier fifth wheel will be required--thank goodness.

I just don't cherish driving any vehicle.with dual rear.wheels.in day to day use. And in the meantime, the prices of one ton trucks increased 100% to the level of being unaffordable.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just going through this myself, though my question is diesel or not. I am leaning towards a DRW because I can't find an F350 SRW or any 3500 series that can do 3k pin weight for my 317 and leave enough left over to account for hitch, passengers and general stuff in the cab without being over on at least one of the "legal" weight ratings. I say legal because the components on all of these trucks are up for the challenge, it would just suck to get called out on it for some reason. I just figure if I get a dually, I'm good for whatever tow job comes my way!

For me it's do I get a brand new, never farted in gas dually or a 4 year old diesel. Will I wish my wallet was 9k lighter to go faster up hills?

I saw written here the other day the cheapest thing is to get a prius and stay in hotels.

Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Andrew in the Burgh
    2015 Reflection 317RST...Auction Rebuild

See Thread Here:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...795#post145795

2016 F350 CCLB DRW 6.7

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ram 3500 megacab with the short bed is 248" long vs F350/F450 DRW are 266", so the Ram is a bit shorter.

Parking any DRW truck is going to be more difficult than a SRW. I find it's the combination of the long bed with the extra width that makes it tough to park. Then again, a Suburban isn't a piece of cake to park either.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast