User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replaced Andersen Ultimate

It's been 3 months since I replaced my Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel Connection hitch. My purpose for having the Andersen was payload limits on the previous tow vehicle. Paul Cervone (Poppy's 5th Wheel) introduced me to the Andersen and in 3 years of using the Andersen, I was very pleased with it's performance. Andersen's customer service has been outstanding to me during my tenure with their product. Here are my thoughts and comments for making the move to the OEM puck B&W Companion hitch.

• With the arrival of the new dually F350, I have lots of payload left over when loaded. Almost 1,500 pounds.
    • The Andersen took more horizontal space in the truck bed and I gained 15 horizontal inches with the Companion. More room to use up some of that leftover payload.
    • In my occasional conversations with Andersen about pin boxes I got three different answers over a period of 15 months. MorRyde first, then Demco and the last time was standard pin box. When I contacted Demco, they recommended against their pin box and the Andersen. MorRyde was indifferent about the Andersen and stated they have many customers using the combination as seen by other members in the forum. I could not see a good reason to go back to a standard pin box.
    • With the new truck, new spray-in bedliner and the Andersen, it started making noise while towing although it was properly torqued. The last time I had this issue Andersen replaced the hitch (version 1) with their new version and the noise stopped. I contacted Andersen and they suggested changing my torque setting from 50lbs. to 60lbs. but same issue. After removing the Andersen from the new truck I noticed some wear on the spray-in bedliner indicating it might be repeating the same issue the first time in the previous tow vehicle. Perhaps the aluminum bed plays into the equation but didn't want to further the damage to the bedliner.
    • I installed the MorRyde in the spring of this year and the pin sits slightly lower than the Lippert Roto-flex. When I went to pick up the Solitude after the installation of the MorRyde (previous tow vehicle) I noticed the coach was pin high and had to lower the ball on the Andersen to accommodate the MorRyde's lower position.

Although the Companion is heavier, the only contact with the truck bed is on the 4 OEM pucks in the bed. The head removes from the base and they are very simple to install and remove albeit heavier. The hitch is completely silent, no noise whatsoever and it has been working great with my new MorRyde pin box installed this spring. I did have some concerns with the pin box on the Companion and my bed rails in tight turns, however I have been at 90 degrees without any fear of contact. Connecting and disconnecting with either hitch is a simple process although the tug test is an important step with the Companion.
    Barb, Lyle and the 3 four-legged kids
    2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's interesting. Thanks for the writeup.

I'm concerned about the bed liner marking you experienced. My AUH has been used with a dropin liner and now with a sprayin liner and neither has had a mark when the hitch is removed.

Did your problem begin immediately or develop over time? Did you try a stall mat or something under it?
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not owned the Andersen. But, I will second that B&W Companion is a very quite hitch. I rarely hear even the slightest squeak from it. It instills a feeling of a solid secure ride compare to my other experience with hitches.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    That's interesting. Thanks for the writeup.

I'm concerned about the bed liner marking you experienced. My AUH has been used with a dropin liner and now with a sprayin liner and neither has had a mark when the hitch is removed.

Did your problem begin immediately or develop over time? Did you try a stall mat or something under it?
    John, the AUH started making noise immediately upon installation into the new truck. On the old truck, it developed over time and Andersen indicated there was a design flaw in the first version of the aluminum AUH. They replaced it at no cost.

The variables that come into play are bedliner materials (LineX, same as old truck) and the aluminum bed. I have not had much success finding others with the same issue and Andersen felt it was a torque issue. With the added payload, I jumped ship from the Andersen rather than work through the variables and risk further damage to the bedliner.

Also to clarify, I am running the gooseneck version of the aluminum AUH.
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In one of the FAQ's, Andersen recommended a bed rug or mat under the hitch. Like you, I originally bought the AUH to help manage my payload and subsequently migrated to an F350, but the 2017 CCSB SRW. I ran the AUH at first without anything under it, and then put a bed mat with the stock Ford spray-in liner and didn't have any issues with marks, etc. Admittedly my unit only has a 2K pound pin weight though. I found it to be a great product, very happy with their service and would highly recommend the AUH, especially for SB trucks that need a lightweight solution. The only thing I didn't like was the extreme angle needed to get on and off hitch with these new Fords. With the payload head room, swapped it out for a Demco autoslide and am very happy with that as well.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CloseToRetirement View Post
    John, the AUH started making noise immediately upon installation into the new truck. On the old truck, it developed over time and Andersen indicated there was a design flaw in the first version of the aluminum AUH. They replaced it at no cost.

The variables that come into play are bedliner materials (LineX, same as old truck) and the aluminum bed. I have not had much success finding others with the same issue and Andersen felt it was a torque issue. With the added payload, I jumped ship from the Andersen rather than work through the variables and risk further damage to the bedliner.

Also to clarify, I am running the gooseneck version of the aluminum AUH.
    I also have LineX on an aluminum bed with the gooseball connection, too, so I'll keep an eye on it. I removed the AUH a couple of weeks ago and there was no damage to the liner. I'm told that the liners can be touched up pretty easily.

I'm curious about the need for a different pin box as I've been astonished by the ride quality using the AUH. Zero fore and aft chucking and nearly negligble verticle bucking only if the trailer hits something big. Do you notice any difference in ride quality between the AUH and new hitch?

Enjoy the new truck.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you everyone for the feedback on their experience with the same or similar setup as mine! Hearing others not having issues with their AUH on a LineX bed-liner and the aluminum bed was the catalyst for me to reach out to the owner of the dealer to confirm the LineX product application.

Sadly, their post-sale rep (accessories, after market bed-liners, etc.) misinformed many clients about their bed-liner application. This person is no longer associated with the dealership. Unfortunately for me they don't use LineX but their own bed-liner application done at the dealer. It is very similar to LineX but is not the branded product. They warranty the product the same as LineX and support their application. I changed dealers when I purchased the new truck and I am very pleased with that decision as it's family owned/operated plus the largest SuperDuty dealer in the state. Knowing the owner has an open door to their clients is very refreshing.

With that said it points to the the bed-liner as the most likely variable. I loved the performance of the AUH with my Solitude but have now moved on. As I grow older and if the Companion gets too heavy to load and unload, the AUH will be my first choice substitute. I am still loving that extra 15 inches of horizontal bed space I gained with the Companion.
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a photo of the issue with the previous F350 and the official LineX bed-liner. The first version of the AUH sat further back in the bed of the truck. The picture shows where the new version of the AUH sits and the marking from the original AUH on the bed-liner. Notice the white spots on the top of the box ribs and on the left corner where the wear runs along the rib.

That same marking is what I was seeing in the new truck with the AUH plus the same creaking noise during acceleration and braking. With the dealer applied bed-liner in the new truck, the application is likely the cause of the chaffing on the bed-liner.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Andersen F350 SRW LineX.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	263.5 KB 
ID:	15057
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear you're having good luck with the Companion, I'm on my second version of it. I had the turnover ball base in my previous F250 and it too was silent while towing but took three men and a boy to lift out! I too have upgraded to a dually with the factory puck system and it is a slick system. I will not tow with it until next month ( work) but it takes up way less room and is easily lifted out in two pieces. I'm happy lol! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F350 hitch.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	15067
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff