Likes Likes:  0
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thumbs up My iPhone is apparently not waterproof

In case anyone was wondering.

Hey I figure what's the point of having a "way off topic" thread if you can't post stuff no one really cares about!
    So if you're still here you must be as bored as I am, typing all this out just for your entertainment...

So... 2 days ago we were at Devil's Churn near Cape Perpetua (badass name huh?)
    We were checking out some tide pools and taking pictures with our iPhones at (what I thought was) low tide.
    I was climbing around on some rocks when I noticed a rather large wave heading my way, so like Jordan I leaped straight up onto a large rock, which at the time I was pretty proud of.
    My pride was short lived because a split second later my iPhone decided to make a break for it and dove into the Pacific.

It lay half buried in sand, under a foot of salt water for about 8 seconds, but by some miracle I spotted it, just before it was pulled out to sea.
    I was amazed to see it was still working, and it continued to work for the rest of the day, yay, I love a happy ending!
    But then I tried to charge it.
    The newer phones can be placed onto a special conductive pad and charged wirelessly, however my device is too old. I have the archaic (2 years old) iPhone 6!
    I guess a bit of sand got jammed up into the charging port; I tried toothpicks and compressed air to clean it out, to no avail.
    Luckily we had it insured so I paid the $149 deductible and received a new iPhone in less than 24 hours.

We bought a waterproof Nikon for taking pictures in and around bodies of water... I'll be leaving my iPhone in the truck from now on.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The question is: “Who care about apathy”?
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should have bought a Chevy..

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same problem if it is dropped into the toilet. I was not going to reach down and get it so I flushed a few times. Still did not work.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My luck, I would of slipped on the rock and fell in, the phone would of fallen out of my pocket, landing on the dry rock and then just as I climbed out of the water reaching for the phone, a wave would of crashed on the rock taking the phone out to Davy Jones Locker.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    In case anyone was wondering.

Hey I figure what's the point of having a "way off topic" thread if you can't post stuff no one really cares about!
    So if you're still here you must be as bored as I am, typing all this out just for your entertainment...

So... 2 days ago we were at Devil's Churn near Cape Perpetua (badass name huh?)
    We were checking out some tide pools and taking pictures with our iPhones at (what I thought was) low tide.
    I was climbing around on some rocks when I noticed a rather large wave heading my way, so like Jordan I leaped straight up onto a large rock, which at the time I was pretty proud of.
    My pride was short lived because a split second later my iPhone decided to make a break for it and dove into the Pacific.

It lay half buried in sand, under a foot of salt water for about 8 seconds, but by some miracle I spotted it, just before it was pulled out to sea.
    I was amazed to see it was still working, and it continued to work for the rest of the day, yay, I love a happy ending!
    But then I tried to charge it.
    The newer phones can be placed onto a special conductive pad and charged wirelessly, however my device is too old. I have the archaic (2 years old) iPhone 6!
    I guess a bit of sand got jammed up into the charging port; I tried toothpicks and compressed air to clean it out, to no avail.
    Luckily we had it insured so I paid the $149 deductible and received a new iPhone in less than 24 hours.

We bought a waterproof Nikon for taking pictures in and around bodies of water... I'll be leaving my iPhone in the truck from now on.
    The new iPhones are waterproof- at least my iPhone X is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear DaveMatthewsBand.....I don’t really care about your phone issues [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Eddie, Cindy, n Maddie (our fearless Yorkie)
    2012 F-350 LWB 4x4 6.7 SRW C-cab with B&W Turnover + Companion pulling a 2017 307MKS Reflection

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfever View Post
    Dear DaveMatthewsBand.....I don’t really care about your phone issues [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hey!
    Your avatar pic looks almost exactly like mine.
    Do you have a larger version of that photo?
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never EVER turn your back to the Pacific Ocean. Keep an eye our always. A sneaker wave WILL get you.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021