User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Truck clearance for 90 degree turns

I have a 2018 Chevrolet 3500HD turbo diesel with a standard bed to pull my 2017 Solitude 310GK with the ultimate Anderson hitch. I have now broken out TWO rear windows by turning too sharply. Does anyone have a solution? Can I change the style of Kingpin to compensate for the turning problem? I have been trying to research the problem, but am not sure how to proceed. I live in Nevada and the closest dealer is in Reno - would they have a solution or am I just going to have to live with the problem? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think most people with short bed trucks use a sliding hitch, either manual or auto. I don't have experience with either, but that's where I would start.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joetar View Post
    Does anyone have a solution?
    My FIL has a GMC standard bed 2500 with the Duramax and he has a sliding hitch for his 5vr. I'm sure others here have one and they'll chime in shortly...
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joetar - There are many many discussions about hitches on this forum. Try some key words in the search tool in the upper right corner to find these.

With the Andersen, you have to choose which way to mount the pin adapter. One way pulls the trailer closer to the cab but provides better clearance between the pin box and the box rails when turning. (It sounds like this is the way you have yours). The other way gives you more cap to cab clearance but will bring the wings of the pin box very close to the box rails when turning.

There are many auto and manual slider hitches that can solve your problem, but there is no slider version of an Andersen hitch.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I limit my backing turns to max of 75 degrees with a short bed and Andersen hitch. After seeing the twisting and stress the axles and suspension gets in sharp backing turns I wouldn’t want to turn any sharper anyway.

Below is a picture of wheels with a 70 degree turn.

Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solitude 310 is a wide body 5th wheel. If you really want to do 90 deg turn then either a slider hitch or trade your truck in for a long bed. Either of these solutions would move the trailer pivot point further from the truck cab.

Another pin box would not move the pivot point further from the truck cab which is what you need to clear the back window in a tight turn.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the Anderson, you can also adjust the king pin adapter on the trailer either forward or rear. This will help with clearance in addition to swapping the mount in the bed fore and aft as mentioned above.
    John and Denise; Houma, LA
    2017 Momentum 395M
    2016 Chevrolet K3500 DRW Diesel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Joetar -

There are many auto and manual slider hitches that can solve your problem, but there is no slider version of an Andersen hitch.

Rob
    Interesting thought. Maybe the engineering minds on here could come up with something to remedy that.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks to all you who offered solutions to my turning and window smashing problem. I will continue to look into the offered suggestions and hopefully come up with something that will keep me from smashing my back window.... it has become a very expensive issue. Thanks again. Joetar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Reese Sidewinder pin box. It works great and will eliminate the problem of cab-cap contact. The problem is you will have to get rid of the Anderson and go with a conventional hitch.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res