User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    John,

Here’s a picture I just took where my OEM 5th wheel ball is. Front of truck is to my left. You can clearly see that it’s several inches in front of the wheel wells.

I thought we might be on to something that allows the gooseball location to vary a few inches, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Here's mine. In the first photo, you can see where the ball is compared to the wheel wells. The second photo shows the ball in the same stamped round area of the bed. The third photo is in the left wheel well, the round thing at the top is the pin that releases the ball and the orange thing below it is the axle bumper that is directly over the axle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AUH1.jpg   AUH2.jpg   AUH3.jpg  
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ford publishes nearly every dimension, capacity and weight that you can think of for all their trucks.
    https://madocumentupload.marketingas...ee5b0&v5=False

For 2017 Superduty, dimension L404 (Back of cab to centreline of rear axle) is 39.9" (pages 14 & 15)

Don't know if this might help your comparison and discussion.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Ford publishes nearly every dimension, capacity and weight that you can think of for all their trucks.
    https://madocumentupload.marketingas...ee5b0&v5=False

For 2017 Superduty, dimension L404 (Back of cab to centreline of rear axle) is 39.9" (pages 14 & 15)

Don't know if this might help your comparison and discussion.

Rob
    Thanks, Rob. Yes, one would think that a tape measure would be the answer - if the cab/hitch distance is more than half the width of the fiver you should be golden, but the cap and pinbox design seems to make an inordinate difference. I've gotten mine cranked around approaching 90 degrees a couple of times and it isn't easy to determine what the nearest point of contact is. After seeing my trailer wheels bent way over, I'm resigned to avoid extreem angles.

Perhaps someone with a long bed or slider hitch will volunteer to back under a fiver at a 90-degree angle and measure the necessary cab/pin clearance once and for all. Of course, anyone who gets it jack-knifed at 90 degrees is just as likely to end up at an even greater angle and will hit the side rather than the corner of the fiver so it is kind of a moot point.
    John and Jean

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'd be interesting to actually measure the flat-ground max-turn angle using an AUH and B&W with a short-bed (no sliding). You might think the offset pivot would help the AUH by keeping the trailer center-line a bit farther from the cab (2" or so). I'm not 100% sure that's the case since the trailer nose sits farther forward on the AUH when setup forward for pin-box/rail clearance (it all comes down to that front-cap and how it's shaped). In any case, it's hard to eye-ball those angles so if anybody does this make sure to mark the pavement and use a protractor. I'd volunteer for the B&W but Jerryr's axle pics are burned into my brain.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Bluto View Post
    Sounds like a good excuse for a new long bed truck!
    My thoughts exactly. I know I'm not buying any more short bed pickups. That extra 1.5' solves many problems. I buy the short beds for resale value, but not worth it any more. Miss my long bed pickups.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks John & Jean. I contacted a very nice person named Jason at Anderson and he suggested that I pick up the 4" offset ball from B&W and install it in the bed of the truck with a 3/4 inch horse stall pad underneath the mount. I too worry about the front axle loading, but probably will try this as a fix for my problem and hopefully the front axle issue won't be too much of a problem. The tongue weight of the 5vr is only 2350lbs so hopefully this won't effect the front axle by too much. Thanks again for the input. Joetar

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given a standard AUH ball position of one inch behind the rear axle, the front axle would unload about 15-lbs with a 2350-lb pin-weight and a 160-inch wheelbase. Pushing things rearward another four inches (via an offset ball) would unload the front axle about 75-lbs total in static conditions. That doesn’t sound too bad but the front may feel light over bumps or if you experience chucking during acceleration or braking.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Truck clearance for 90 degree turns

I have the 6'9'' (short) bed and using a B&W Patriot slider I can get a little bit past 90 degrees using the slider.

Here's a few photos at about 85 degrees.

Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have any idea how many inches aft of the axle centerline the kingpin is with the slider all the way aft?
    John and Jean

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    Do you have any idea how many inches aft of the axle centerline the kingpin is with the slider all the way aft?
    Who me?

I don’t know how I could accurately measure that.

I can put the slider back and take a photo from the side if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast